Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problem with Word merge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Word merge

I am evaluating A5V5 which I downloaded from the Alpha website and am impressed so far, but I have one problem. Records in A5 are not merging with Word. The operation works in the demo database, but does not work in databases I create.

I am using MS XP, Home Version with Word 2002 on a laptop. A5 and the others are all up to date.

When I view either a Browse or Form of a table and click on the Word icon, instead of getting the blank Word document with the Mail Merge tool bar I get "Header Record Delimiters." Whether I try to work with that option or click Cancel I ultimately get a blank Word document. There are no Tool Bars and there is no visible way of inserting fields from the Records I had queried. Right clicking on the page brings up the normal formatting options, but that is all. When I exit Word I see a "Server Busy" message which says, "This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy program and correct the problem." When I press �Switch to� the Start menu comes up first and then I see another Error message: Script:ms_word_mailmerge line:297 app.visible subproperty cannot be assigned to" I click OK and the message goes away. At times it locks up A5.

I have tried databases in which I have created all the fields and imported my data from Access. I get the response described above. I have also tried databases I created by using the A5 genie with pre-defined fields and data. With these I clicked on the Word icon and immediately got the Error Message: "Data to merge with Word was not found: 'C\DOCUME~1\GARYDE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\a5mailmerge46.txt'

Any ideas? This is a critical feature for me.

RE: Problem with Word merge

Gary,

I think the Word template must exist beforehand, or you have create it. Is it possible you've skipped a step or two along the way ?

-- tom

Comment

Sorry, but I skipped a step in my explanation of the problem. When I click on the Word icon I always get the "Microsoft Word Merge" diaglogue box. That gives a choice of using an existing template or creating a new one. When I select "create a new one" in Alphasports I get the Word blank document with the tool bars visible, including the Merge tool bar. The merge procedure then works as it should. However, when I use databases I have created I get
      "Header Record Delimiters." That leads to failure, as described above.

Comment

Gary, I wish I knew more about Word... sounds almost like an error message occuring there, perhaps in the setup for a new document template or something.

-- tom

Comment

I had the same issue with word merges - on one occasion it turned out that shortening a long field name solved the issue. I can't recall what fixed it the second time - but it was also related to a field name issue - hope this helps..

Regards,
          Scott

Comment

Gary, did you ever find a fix for your Word Merge problem?

Ginette Hughes

Comment

No, I did not. I did purchase the program, even with this problem, assuming I would solve it. When I try to merge a record with Word, new template, I just get the message of Data to merge with Word was not found: 'C\DOCUME~1\GARYDE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\a5mailmerge46.txt' By now the number 46 has changed to 79.

I am using a database created with the Genie which has about 25 fields.

Any ideas?

Gary

Comment

Hi,

Has this database a memo field?

If yes make a new table with a memofield or more if they exist in your present table, put it in a 1 to 1 relation with the existing table and copy the memo text from the original table to the new table with the memo field(s). Remove the memo field(s) from the original table. Try the merge again.

Make a copy of your your database before you change anything.

Marcel Kollenaar
                Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
                ---- Confusius ----

Comment

I have had problems merging with Word "especially" when I had memo field in the table that is merging to Word. When I removed the memo field, problem was solved.

try doing same merge without memo field in a table and see what happens. Chances are, no more problem.

Please let us know what happens.

Mike
                  Thank you,
                  Mike Konoff

Comment

Dear Marcel and Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not the problem with me. No memo field in this table. There is one in another table of the database, but the tables are not linked.

I had tried it with one record in the table and again after I had imported about 6,000 records. Same results.

I tried another suggestion from someone who said to look at the lenght of field names. The longest is 14 characters. Hope that is not too long.

The Excel connection works perfectly, but it's the Word connection I really need.

I'd be happy to hear more suggestions.

Gary

Comment

Hi Gary,

What a pity it isn't the solution. Do you have the feeling that this problem is Alpha related or Word related? The problem can also be a bat Word installation. So try to pinpoint the problem app.
                      If you make a ascii delimited file and merge this with Word, does that work well? Do a merge from Excel with some data, does that also work well? This is only to see if Word isn't the problem. I know that the call from Alpha is something else than a merge from within Word but give it a try.
                      Another possibility is that you share your database with one of us to see if the problem also arises on our system. If it can be isolated to one tabele sent the table if you wish. Let me know.

Regards,

Marcel Kollenaar
                      Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
                      ---- Confusius ----

Comment

Gary,

I would try to "duplicate" the table without any data from the existing table, add some sample data, and then see if that solves the problem.

I seem to recall that worked for me once.

Mike
                        Thank you,
                        Mike Konoff

Comment

Gary,

When I click in the Word Merge icon from within A5, I get the mailmerge window that up top allows me to select: a) merge to existing word template, or b) merge to "new" word templete.

Option b) will open up a blank merge document for me to format as I wish and has the MAIL MERGE toolbar visible for me to select Merge Fields or Word fields, and perform other merge activities.

When I "right-click" in the area above the documents where the menu's are, I am supplied a window with a number of selections, such as: Standard, Format, Auto Text, etc. One of those options for me is Mail Merge. It is already selected and the Mail Merge menu is displayed that will allow me to select Merge or Word fields. Do you see this there? Is it selected? If not, try selecting it and see if it brings up a Mail Merge window of options. If it's not visible, then we have to figure out why and how to get it there. What version of Word are you using?

Mike
                          Thank you,
                          Mike Konoff

Comment

Dear Marcel and Mike,

I guess we are all working on this on Christmas morning! It's quiet around here right now and this problem is just nagging at me. The family is going to see "Lord of the Rings" this afternoon, so I had to make some progress here before we spend the rest of the day trying to see a movie.

I fixed it, to this point, but I really don't know what I did. I began by assuming that if the demo database works it's not a problem with Word. So I started from scratch, building a new table as I went. I began with 10 fields, trying just one record and then importing 6,000 records. The merge to Word worked just fine. Then I went to 20 fields and then to about 30, trying one record and then importing 6,000. It kept working fine. Then I added the Memo field. It still works great! Now, I have not yet tried a set, so we shall see. I have no idea what that may or may not mean, but I will take it for the moment. If and when I run into trouble again I will begin with your suggestions!

Seasons greetings,
                            Gary

Comment

Hi Gary,

My two cents.

>>"Header Record Delimiters." Whether I try to work with that option or click Cancel I ultimately get a blank Word document.

Comment

Working...
                              X