Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Security .. Login

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security .. Login

Is it possible to create another table of just usernames, passwords and security level.

Ex:
    Name Password SecLevel
    Jarrett 12345 3

Sec. Levels could be like 1 , 2 ,3 For Denied , View , Edit

If Someone has any Idea's or maybe a place for me to look towards using some Xbasic Scripts b/c or is there a better help then the PDF Files?

Thank you for all the Help!! Tabs are comming along nice.

RE: Security .. Login

I have an entire system build around our security table. We have over 250 users, with a different levels of "authority". With a lot of help from Selwyn, we are able to trace each user's movements throughout the multi-database system. Our main Menu is attached to this security table, and based on the user's level of access, we direct the user to appropriate forms and menus throughout the system.

Our table is fairly straightforward.

User-ID 5 char
    access code 5 numeric
    Name 30 char
    Password 6 char
    active flag 1 char
    password date date
    security level 1 char

Users must enter the system via an x-basic dialog box theat takes and verifies their user-id and password. It then determines if the password needs to be changed (every 3 months) and if the user is already on (active flag). Once everything is alright, the main menu is displayed. The user's access code and security level are stored in an addin.variable space so they can be viewed and checked in other databases that I call. The user's access code is stamped onto any record that they change. This way we can trace who last modified a record in a table.

There is quite a bit more, but I really don't want to write a book. This security table system has enough flexibility that it should be adaptable to any application developed.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,

Sounds like you have done a lot of work with security and logins. We currently have a user table, a company table, and an access level table. My boss and I have been brainstorming on the best way to tie the three of these together so that when we input a new user we are able to tie them to specific companies and various levels for the different companies. One thing that we had thought of was to create a fourth table that would be written to which would have the records of all possible access levels for one individual.

Example:

Cheryl has access to Co A at level 1
      Cheryl has access to Co A at level 2
      Cheryl has access to Co B at level 1
      Cheryl has access to Co B at level 3
      Cheryl has access to Co C at level 4

We believe this method would work best for us at this time, but since I am very new to AlphaFive, I am not sure of the best way to design this. My first thought is that I would enter the new user into the user table, then I would have a form where I would look up the user and select from the company table all the companies that they would have access to. At the same time of selecting the company I want to be able to select the access level for that company as well.

I guess this is similar to placing an order somewhere, I want 3 shirts, 1 in blue, 2 in red, the blue one a size small, 1 red one a large, and the 2nd red one a medium.

I believe I have the tables set up the way that I need to, but I am not sure where to go from here in order to implement this. I also do not know the code in Alpha and am slowly learning my way through that.

Thanks
      Cheryl
      Cheryl
      #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
      http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Cheryl,

I am no expert in security but from what you are describing you are making a lot of hard work for your self. Working with Alpha the KISS principle gets the best results. How about this? Company "A" has a security level of "AA" now only the staff who have the same security Level can view that company. Now all you need to change is one field in the staff record to change their status as to which companies records they can have view.

There is going to be some good planning needed to make sure who is allowed to see what. But it can all be done with Alpha. Start off simple with a form for someone to log on to with another form that will only open if the status allows it. For example you could have a conditional field with a button to open the company form that is only visable if that employee had the correct status.

Hope that has given you lots to play around with.

Keith Hubert
        London.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Thanks Keith. At the moment I have resolved most of the issues already. One of the biggest issues with your suggestion is that we already have 7 different access levels for each of the 5 companies. Just because somebody has access to a specific company does not give them access to all that is available for that company.

We have resolved the issue with tieing the security access levels to each of the various companies with the help of Tom earlier. We did this by linking the access
          security table to the company table by level. It is crucial that our initial design is flexible enough and allows for expansion without minimal changes throughout as there will be more companies and more access levels added once it has been developed and functioning flawlessly.

What I am working on now is the syntax so that at login various circumstances are met, and then the user will be directed to a specific page based on the circumstances that they met. The next phase after that is to have the page they are directed to automatically generated based on their criteria.

I am doing these things with the web application server so not all is as easy as it is within AlphaFive itself. We are creating as much as possible within AlphaFive first so that we can minimize the code needed for the web application server.

I will keep all posted as we progress.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.
          Cheryl
          Cheryl
          #1 Designs By Pagecrazy
          http://pagecrazy.com/

Comment

Working...
          X