Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

upgrade problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrade problems

I have several order entry databases that I've just upgraded to Alpha 5 v 5.

With two of the three sets, when I go to "enter new record" they increment exactly as they are supposed to do ... which is exactly as they have always done.

However, in the 3rd [and, of course, the one I use the most] when I go to enter a new record, I get the "000" ... and even when I enter the correct [next] number and save this ... the next time I get the same "000". This is a character field that is set at "auto increment" in the field rules.

I figure I'm just "missing" something very basic to correct this ... but what?

Is there a way to "repair" this database/set?

Thanks

Mary Lea-Bannister

RE: upgrade problems

Mary

Sounds like a record in the table is set to the maximum value for the field size and then the autoincrement rolls over to 000.

You may need to turn off the autoincrement field rule and then manually change the suspect value and turn back on the autoincrement field rule again.

You may also need to increase the size of the field.

You can't over ride an autoincrement field without turning off the field rule.

It's usually easy to find the offending record. Open a browse with the autoincrement field on it and right click on the column and sort descending. You'll see the largest values as the first records.

Let us know how you fare with this.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Mary

btw, A5v5 uses an index to determine the largest value in an autoincrement field and then increments using the largest value.

Previous versions looked at the last record in the actual data file and just incremented from that value. Unfortunately, that lead to some duplication in some tables.
      Al Buchholz
      Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Mary,

How wide (in table structure) is the character field that's giving you trouble?

I had trouble in A5V4 using a 5 char wide character type field, and the auto increment field rule.

My last entry was '9999', and I expected it to roll over to '10000', but it went to '0000' instead.

I learned from this that if I use character type fields for a numeric autoincrement value, I must pad the beginning number with leading zeros, as placeholders, to assure that all available 5 digits get used.

i.e. first entry should have been '00001', instead of '0001' in my case.

Might this be your situation, too ?

- tom

Comment

Hi Al,

The "positive number" field is a 10 space character field ... so, on the surface, it's not a "maximum" problem ... although it certainly looks like it is.

The highest number I have in that field is 4635 ... no "space holding" zeros ...

The "index" number when I open the database/set is correct and shows 4636 as the next number ... but still "000" shows up. Very frustrating ... especially since the other two databases, both of which are the same basic format, are working just fine!

Should I rebuild my indexes? I'm at a loss to know how to "fix" this particular set of databases so that it increments properly!

How else can I make my "index" correspond to the next incremented number?

Thanks so much for any help!

Mary

Comment

Mary

Reindexing won't do any harm, but may not find the solution.

Did you look to see if any values are out of sequence and very large, or corrupted?
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Hello Mary:

[The highest number I have in that field is 4635 ... no "space holding" zeros]

Hmmmmmmmm, no space holding zeros?

You�ve gotten some good advice so far, but one thing I would definitely do if I were in your place. As Tom suggested, I would pad all of the fields with zeros. This is very easy to do via an update operation, it should take about 1 minute to do such and it may very well resolve your problem. Even if it doesn't I think you should still run the update.

If you decide to do it, we can help with the procedure. All we need is the name of the field and for you to confirm it is a character field with a width of 10.

Robert T.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thanks ... yes, it's a 10 space character field ... with numbers beginning with 1 and ending with 4635.

So ... there's a simple update expression to fix this?

Thanks

Mary

Comment

Oops ... that should have been "Hi Robert" ... sorry about that!

Comment

Oops ... also forgot the FIELD NAME! Brain's not functioning at 100% today I'm afraid!

The field name is: POSNUM

The field length is: 10

The field type is: character

Thanks a bunch!

Mary

Comment

Hi Mary:

I can�t say for sure it will resolve your Auto Increment issue, but it might. And once again Mary, I think it�s something you should have done from day one.

I did this rather quickly, so I hope the following steps are correct.

Remember to always have a BACKUP before you run any updates !!!!!!
                      ---------------------------------------------------

� Temporarily remove the auto increment field rule
                      � Open the A5 Control Panel
                      � Click on the Operations Tab
                      � Right Click in any blank space and select �New Operation�
                      � In the Operations Column on the left, select the very last option which is �Update Records�
                      � In Step 2 on the right, click on the name of your table
                      � Click Create [Do NOT select Create Using Genie]
                      � In the Field Column, select the name of your autoincrement field
                      � In the expression column, insert the expression shown below. Please replace Your_FieldName with name of the Field you want to update)

RIGHT("0000000000" +ALLTRIM(Your_FieldName),10)

Make sure everything is correct, ensure that you have ten zeros, and then click the icon to run the update.

If the update fails to run, as stated above, you will probably have to remove the auto increment field rule and you might have to remove any indexes on this table. You can rebuild the indexes after operation. I don�t know if the temporary index removal will be necessary.

Good Luck,
                      Robert T

Comment

Hi Mary:

I just posted the procedure. Replace Your_FieldName with POSNUM so it looks like this.

RIGHT("0000000000" +ALLTRIM(POSNUM),10)

Robert T

Comment

Thanks Robert!

I'll try it and let you know what happens!

Mary

Comment

Hi Mary:

Yes, please give us an update.

Once again Mary, please remember to turn off your autoincrement field rule before you run the operation. You can turn it back on if the Update Records Operation works.

I'm not bubbling over with confidence, but I'm fairly confident this will resolve your autoincrement issue.

Robert T.

Comment

Robert

I also looked at that for Mary and came up with the same type of fix.

I used padl(alltrim(posnum),10," ") for blank filling
                              or padl(alltrim(posnum),10,"0") for zero filling

and both worked.

The interesting side note that I found was that an update procedure would change the value of the field even if I didn't turn off the auto increment. I'd imagine that it deals with whether field rules are honored or not, but was surprised when I ran the first one (following the rules of turning off and on the auto increment) and then ran the zero fill formula and it worked without first turning off the auto.
                              Al Buchholz
                              Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X