Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Lookup function vs creating set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookup function vs creating set

If I just want to display some information from a related table, why should I create a set instead of using the relevant Lookupx() function in a calculated field?

Lawrence Fox
    ComputerWizard Consulting
    Lawrence Fox
    ComputerWizard Consulting
    http://www.computerwizardonline.com
    Bookkeeping, Accounting & Database Design
    "Nobody goes to work for themselves in order to do paperwork--so call the Wizard today and get back to doing what YOU love to do..."

RE: Lookup function vs creating set

The problem with lookup() functions is speed. If the table you are getting the value from is large, each lookup can be slow. Since it has to evaluated for each record as you fetch, this can be very annoying, especially if you have a couple lookups for each record. If the value is obtained from a linked table, the speed is nearly instantaneous. One the other hand, if the table is small enough, and there is only one lookup, a set may not be any advantage if the lookup speed is not an issue.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

It's funny. While I have no quantitative studies to back me up, I daresay you might have it backwards. The indexed lookups are almost instantaneous, and the traffic over the network is far less than when you push groups of lookup table records through the pipe as the user navigates through the primary table. My compass may be pointing south instead of north, but I favor simpler set structures, and retrieval of single record resultsets as compared to larger resultsets.

-- tom

Comment

What about referential integrity? I haven't used lookups so I'm not sure if this is an issue, but what if a value in the child table changes will the lookup in the parent table automatically change that field in the parent? If the value in the parent doesn't automatically change then I could see using a lookup for a point-in-time application.
        Also, is it possible to have a "related" table without a set?

Steve

Comment

OK, how about a dissenting opinion that agrees with both sides? (Hmmm, maybe I should try politics!)

My guess is that Jerry is right when all you are doing is displaying the field BUT I usually opt for the simpler structure whenever reasonable as well. Not so much because of speed but because of all the other issues that start raising their head when sets start getting used for data entry. I find it very rare that a set is ever used only for viewing data.

On the other hand, I wouldn't suggest going to extremes. The more lookups you use, the longer it will take and the more problems may occur. So, I usually limit calculated lookup fields to only a very few. Actually, I've seldom needed more than one but others needs may be different.

Note: I recommend using calculated fields only on forms unless absolutely necessary to put them in the table. My philosophy is "Don't waste space with calc fields in tables unless there is no other way to do it." And, when you are just displaying info in another table, there is definitely another way to do it.

One other note:
          Although it hasn't been mentioned, I would like to point out for anyone reading this that the plain Lookup() function can be very time consuming because it has to run a query rather than using a pre-existing index. Instead, use one of the LookupC(), LookupN(), etc. methods.

Comment

Good questions. If a lookup is a calculated field on a form, it will reevaluate when the form is fetched. If it is a calculated field in a table, it only recalculates when the record is edited. Two very different situations.

I agree that a lookup() should be faster that linking a table in a set, but for some reason, calculated fields on forms using lookup functions always seem to slow down forms refreshing. I don't know the logic of the code behind a lookup or how it effects network traffic, but I have tried some forms across a network that used calculated fields with lookups, and also with a set structure, and the set structure was faster by a noticeable amount. However, in the case I mention, there was more that one lookup, so this may have cancelled out any speed differences.

If this is a concern, it is easy enough to try both approaches and see which is faster in any given situation.

Jerry

Comment

Steve,

I agree with your thoughts but I think this is one of those places where we (all of us) need to be very clear about our terminology. I believe your issue is best handled by filling the field with the built-in field rule lookup. Or, better yet, a default value (which may use a LookupX() function) so it won't get accidentally over-written by subsequent record changes.

I believe the issue here (as I interpret it) is just a matter of displaying certain data from another table on a form. What is the best method - create a set or use a calculated field which uses a LookupX() function?

This is one of those terms used in A5 that can cause confusion because they have multiple meanings - such as Lookup, Dialog, Script (Action/Xbasic/In-line), etc.

Comment

Tom,

I have actually tested this, and unless Alpha started caching table opens in recent versions, the lookupx() are slow because they do a table open and close between each invokation (which is a relatively slow operation compared to a linked table) and adds a whole bunch more network traffic (because of the open/close).

A linked set, doesn't keep reopening and closing the tables, index file and so forth, but just moves the pointers and fetches the new data. The data fetch is very fast (since it is all contiguous (sp)), and unless you can limit the lookupx(), is almost always the faster way.

Also, if you place lookupx() in a calculated field of a browse or form layout, it gets executed more than once (the way a5 does things internally), and thus actually is the equivalent of several lookupx()s.

If you place the lookupx() in xbasic code the overhead is negligible, but repeat it 10000 times, and it will slow things down alot. Try a query using a lookupx() to a table versus a reference to the child field in a set and you'll see the big difference.

But what you said is true, that one should strive for the simplest sets, as more links, modifiable children (changable, refererential integrity, add child record) add more network traffic and slow things down.

I always design the set to match the need, adding as many sets as needed to fit the various needs, just as you do, I'm sure.

Regards,

Ira
                Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Hi Jerry,

Jerry Brightbill wrote:
                  -------------------------------
                  Good questions. If a lookup is a calculated field on a form, it will reevaluate when the form is fetched. If it is a calculated field in a table, it only recalculates when the record is edited. Two very different situations.

While in change or enter modes, a calculated field (defined in field rules) in a table is recalculated anytime any field of the record that is utilized in that calculated field expression is changed and the focus leaves the field. This can actually create a whole lot more lookups. The field is reevaluated at save time as well (in case an onsave types of events modifies the values again.

Not as bad as a form/browse calculated field (see my other answer to the reason this is really slow), but still more than once.

Regards,

Ira
                  Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                  Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                  New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                  CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                  CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Ira & Jerry,

Ok. It's time to take my compass to the shop for a tune-up, cause it's clear that in some cases linking in the related set has been found to be more efficient than the indexed lookups I've been using!

Thanks. -- tom

Comment

Hello Steve,

>>Also, is it possible to have a "related" table without a set?

Comment

Working...
                      X