Alpha Video Training

Thread: Add-On Development

Real Name
    Jeff Wolfe

Default Add-On Development

Is there any information available on creating customized Add-on's for A5V5? I have many ideas for potential add-ons but I'm not sure I have enough info on how this is accomplished.

"Certified" Alphaholic Keith Hubert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Default RE: Add-On Development

Jeff,

First create your addon. Make sure it is thoroughly tested and then submit it to Alpha to be sold as an Addon. It may take about 6 months of development but if it works well then it will be bought by lots of users. Have a look at the new Calendar addon created by Jerry Brightbill.

Keith Hubert
    London.

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Default RE: Add-On Development

Jeff

There are two parts to your question. First there is the technical part about the mechanisms to create any addon. Most of this is described in the documentation, although not in one place. A good place to start is the information on creating an aex file. I haven't checked out all of the new documentation coming out, but I know the release notes have some information. A few key things to remember is that the addon has to work in many different situations and you have to consider that users have different skill levels.

The second part is the more difficult part. Packaging and marketing. Creating a packaged, full featured, program is a major undertaking and will take a large time investment. You have to realistic about the potential market and how you will reach it. The little details take a lot of time. I think the 80/20 rule fits here. 80% of the work will take 20% of the time. The last 20% will take 80% of the time.

If you want to get your feet wet, create someting useful and post in on the Alphabay site. This is available from the Alpha web site. If you have a winner, you will know quickly. If you don't, you won't have a big investment to justify.

Jerry