Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Menu Forms - Annoying Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Menu Forms - Annoying Problem

I realize there are workarounds for the issue I�m going to describe below. However, I�m not interested in a workaround, so please save yourself the time and energy it will take to come up with one. I just want to know if others have the same problem or if I�m doing something wrong.

If I�m not doing something improper, and there�s nothing wrong with my system, is this something Alpha developers can fix quickly and easily?

Many of my applications were created for personal use. Since I can quickly navigate through Alpha on my own, most of the time, I didn�t create a main menu screen. However, in the past couple of weeks, I decided to add a Main Menu form to all of my personal database apps. They�re all virtually identical, each one is relatively small and is displayed in the center of the screen.

That�s the good news, here�s the bad news. When I click on a Main Menu option, which of course takes me to a data entry form [usually maximized], do whatever I have to do on the data entry form, close the form, and then return to my Main Menu form, things have somehow changed.

Instead of being centered the way I left it, the form is almost always displayed in �FULL SCREEN� mode. It�s as if my little menu form inherited the properties of the data entry form, which was maximized. The text is displayed in the upper left hand corner of the screen and it looks extremely tacky.

I can of course click on the little box in the upper right hand corner and that will resize the main menu form, once again returning it to it�s original position, centered on the screen. I realize this is not the greatest issue facing Alpha users, but I must admit it is very annoying.

Any comments or suggestions that do not involve work around?

Thanks,
    Robert T

RE: Menu Forms - Annoying Problem

Robert,

I believe this is how Alpha has always worked. Each subsequent opened form "inherits" the window state of the previous - either maximized or restored. Except of course, dialog & popup forms.

Peter
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

This is how all windows programs work. Go into your email program, open your inbox not maximized, open a message, maxamize it, then close it - the end result is a maximized inbox. This is the Microsoft document interface.

As you mentioned, there are work-arounds. Theses work-arounds change the standard Windows' behavior, not Alpha's, by taking advatage of the flexability that Alpha provides.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
      Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
      Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

OK Lenny, you do realize how spoiled long time Alpha users are, don�t you? You guys are always creating ingenious little methodologies that make our lives so easy. So please keep that in mind when you read my question.

Is there a way to implement a simple little checkbox in Alpha when you create a form that tells the form to ignore the traditional Windows methods?

Robert

Comment

Hi Robert

Yes we have all come up against this early on so we have already spent the time addressing this. I am sure most users on this board has one they could share with you.

So don't reinvent the wheel. You just have to ask and you would get a smorgasboard of solutions to choose from.

Robert

Comment

I'm not sure about current versions of Quicken, but I know previous versions of Quicken allowed some forms to be maxed while others were "restored" simultaneously or subsequent to each other. Basically, Q would remember the state of each form's window and use that the next time you loaded that form.

Peter
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Robert

This is a very old annoyance and has been discussed many times on the forum. Most of the workarounds Lenny mentioned have been posted and discussed. Another option to a menu form is found in the Alpha Sports database. The Navigation Toolbar is a nice aternative to a menu form. This eliminates many problems, although it does take a little window space.

Jerry

Comment

The workaround for this is to use action scripting, window commands, position, and then check the box to fill the client window without maximizing. then the next window will not be maximized, but will be whatever you have set it for.

Russ

Comment

I appreciate the helpful comments, but if you read the first paragraph of my post, you would have noted that I did NOT ask for any work around suggestions.

Robert T.

Comment

Hi Robert,

Alpha has provided a good method for dealing with this feature of windows.

You begin with your menu centered and "restored"--that is, not maximized. A menu button calls your maximized data entry form and leads to the problem. The answer is to not maximize the data entry form. In form properties provides the "full" setting which adjust the form to fill the screen while technically being restored. Since the form is restored, when you reopen (or reactivate) the main menu it will be as well.

I don't know if this is a "workaround." To me it is more like a solution. Write back and tell me what you think.

Bill
                    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Sorry for duplicating a previous suggestion.
                      Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Hi Bill:

[Write back and tell me what you think.]

I think I made it very clear in the first paragraph of this thread that I was not asking for any work-arounds or suggestions. I don't want to sound unappreciative of the suggestions because I do think that kind of spirit is what makes this discussion board so very special.

However, I was already very much aware of those suggestions mentioned by you and others. My primary concern was the question I asked Lenny, can Alpha's software engineers create a simply checkbox that would eliminate this issue.

Bill, I also realize this is probably at the bottom of their priority list as isn't a critical issue. But it was on my mind because I spoke with another Alpha developer over the weekend, we were discussing this very issue and wondering why it's never been addressed, or even if it could be easily resolved. That's why I specifically asked other users to avoid coming up with work-arounds. But I guess coming up with solutions on this board is hard to avoid [LOL].

Robert T.

Comment

Hello Lenny and All,

Forgive me for jumping back in here. This is one of my pet peeves. IMHO, we are not dealing with a word processor program or any other generic app. We are, for the most part, creating our own UI. This little issue is a bigger pain than it should be. Basically, I run into this issue because I don't think menu forms look good maximized. I think menu forms should be as simple as possible, guiding the user through the process of the app. But when it comes to some data entry screens, real estate is valuable, and maximized forms make sense. Granted there are work arounds, but I don't think they always present the best UI experience. For instance, we can use the 'Full' option by putting the form size to 100% and setting the position to 0,0. But this form is then movable within the A5 window, a maximized form is not. If we programmically open the new window maximized, then upon closing, restore it before closing to show the menu restored, we get screen flickering.

I understand that this is 'standard' windows behavior, but I'm wondering why that should make any difference, we all love to hate MS anyway. What if Jim Chapman Super Visual C++ didn't allow you to specifically control the sizing of UI objects, but forced you into a standard that I determined was best for everybody? To a great extent you are giving us a development environment. Why not let us determine the UI. Make the default behavior the 'standard' windows behavior, but allow an override, ie; always retored, always defined size, always maximized.

Now maybe there is more to this than I understand. Maybe Visual C++ does limit you, then I humbly ask your forgiveness for my soap box rantings.

I threw my 2 cents in a long time ago........... I figure I'm up to about 37 cents now...

Thanks for listening,
                          Jim

Comment

Jim,

Your "rants" are worth every penny to us all.

Peter
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Ih you don't want work-a-round send your request to Mr. Gates.

Alpha has already provided a solution.

Comment

Working...
                              X