Alpha Video Training

Thread: Shut Down Issue

Martin Konieczny

Default Shut Down Issue

When I shut my PC down I get a Windows message box that it is attempting to shut down Alpha5 even though I may have shut A5 down hours before. Then it follows with a "program not responding, end task?" message. This doesn't happen every time I shut down, but frequently. I am running A5 Home version over Windows XP Home edition.

Martin

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: Shut Down Issue

Martin,

try this.

Reboot.
    Start Alpha five.
    Open only the AlphaSports sample database.
    Close the database.
    Exit alpha Five
    shut down Windows.
    Do nothing else.

Do you still see the message box saying that it is attempting to shut down Alpha Five ?

-- tom

Martin Konieczny

Tom,
    It shut down cleanly.

Martin

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Martin,

That means good news and bad news.

Good news -> your installation of alpha Five is ok.

Bad news -> there's something in your application that's not closing correctly.

A frequent cause of this sort of thing are forms opened in dialog mode which aren't properly closed. If you use forms in dialog mode, I suggest you review the section in the Xbasic Ref. Manual called 'Working with Dialog Boxes', and then check each instance in the app.

-- tom

Martin Konieczny

Tom,
    No forms in dialog mode. I have forms used as menus, i.e., only buttons on them that open other forms, browses or intiate operations but no associated "dialog". All of these "menu forms" minimize the control panel when they are first opened. Other than that all forms are pretty much vanilla data entry forms.

Martin

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Martin

Actually, anything unresolved in your application can cause Alpha to not shut down. Some are obvious, like a dialog left open, while others are very elusive. Some ideas;

1. If you open a table in code, be sure it is closed.
    2. If a record is placed in edit mode, be sure it is saved or canceled. This one gets people with dummy tables for menus. Be sure at least one record is entered and saved, or a form will immediately try to go into edit mode.
    3. If a function call or script has an error that is unresolved, the program may hang on shutdown.
    4. Any unresolved code error.

The list can be long. There are a couple approaches to finding what exactly is the problem. Even a "plain vanilla" database using scripts, function calls, expressions, etc. One method is to examine every action to see if there is anything obvious. Tedious at best. A better approach is try to chart what actions cause the problem. This can be difficult if the problem isn't common. What you are trying to identify what activities create an issue that leaves A5 open. The good news is, if it sddoesn't happen frequently, then most of your common actions are probably ok. The trick is to find a repeatable sequence that gives the problem. Once you have that, you know where to look.

Jerry

Martin Konieczny

Jerry,
    OK, I'll start the detective work. One other item that might be related. Occassionaly when I attempt to do a database backup (from the tools menu to a zip file) it will give me a message that some file is still in use (even if none appear to be) and do I want to skip this file. I have to shut down A5 and reload it to do a complete backup (which sort of compromises the purpose of a backup to immediately duplicate and save what you've just done).

Martin