Alpha Video Training

Thread: Unable to Save

Real Name
    Dennis Jones

Default Unable to Save

Hello All.

Currently working the "Customizing Browses" section of the tutorial, and have found that I am unable to save a browse as a layout. I create the browse, then click "save" in the toolbar, and give the browse a name in the save as dialog, then click ok. Nothing happens. The box still sits there, giving no indication that the browse is saved. All I can do is cancel out, which leaves me in a bad situation.

Any ideas?

Dennis Jones

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Default RE: Unable to Save

Dennis

The statemment "give the browse a name in the save as dialog" is unclear. Creating and saving a browse layout is very straightforward. Perhaps a little more detail about your specific steps would shed some light on your problem.

Jerry

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

There could be a couple of reasons for this. First, you could try to compact the database. Often, little quirks like this pop up when doing a fair amount of design, etc.

If that doesn't work, close out A5 and try it again.

If that doesn't work, tell us how you're customizing the browse, ie is the browse created in the Browse tab of the CP or, did yo take the default browse and customize it, or did you try to customize an existing browse? What customizing are you doing, etc.?

kenn

Real Name
    Dennis Jones

Hi Jerry.

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. Basically in the tutorial, the instructions tell you to create a new browse, and to include 4 fields from a table called "inventory". After the browse is created, there are a few more instructions that say to rename and resize some of the columns. When done, the instructions tell you to click the "save as" button in the toolbar, at which point the "save as" dialog box opens. The instructions tell you to save the browse layout as "stock", and to click ok. I follow the instructions, however when I click the "ok" button to do the save, nothing happens. I cannot save it.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Dennis

When something doesn't show in the control panel and you think it should, try pressing the refresh button on the icon toolbar.

A few months ago a patch came out to fix a problem with Alpha 5 taking too much cpu time during idle Alpha 5 time. This was due to an automatic refresh of the control panel that was being performed. The end result is that the refresh is now a manual process that the developer can do at their chosen time. The downside is that sometimes it looks like something is lost.

The other symptom is that an object will appear, but be greyed out. A refresh should correct that also.