Alpha Video Training

Thread: Network problem while upgrading to A5 v 5

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    James A. Talbott, Jr.

Default Network problem while upgrading to A5 v 5

I have had a client’s application running on a network for about 4 years. Started with A5 v 3 and progressed through A5 v 4.5. Everything was working fine. All computers are running Windows 98 Second Edition.

On Friday, I upgraded them to A5 v 5. There are three computers on a peer-to-peer network. Computer A is a workstation which also holds the data. Computers B and C view Computer A as their F drives, as they have for the past 4 years.

I installed a 10 user runtime version of A5 v 5 on all three computers. On Computer C, I network optimized and created a shadow on the C drive of Computer C. Everything works fine. The problem is on Computer B, which is the newest computer with 30 GB hard drive and 128 Mb RAM. I installed the runtime version of A5 v5, and tried to network optimize. I opened the database (application) on the F drive, clicked on Tools, Network Optimize, and nothing happened. So I copied the Shadow file from Computer C onto the C drive of Computer B. Both Computer B and Computer C view the hard drive of Computer A as their drive F, so I reasoned the shadow version should behave the same on both computers.

I tried to create a shortcut on the desktop of Computer B (exactly like the shortcut on Computer C’s desktop) and I tried to open the (shadowed) application from the Start, Run command. The only way I can get Computer B to run the database is to by opening the runtime program (but nothing will load automatically) and click on File, Open Database, and from the control panel load the opening form (the main menu). On the other computers, the shortcut acts exactly as it should, opening the program without the splash screen, opening the application and loading the opening form (a main menu).

I suspect there is a problem somewhere in the registry, as I had tried to do the A5 v 5 upgrade last Sept. without success.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
    Jay Talbott

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: Network problem while upgrading to A5 v 5

Jay,

Sounds like the installation of the runtime on Computer B failed, or hasn't yet been completed. It's my understanding that the RT needs to be opened and closed at least once to write the necessary configuration info to the registry. I would not try to do the network optimization until after verifying that it can run local databases ok on its own.

-- tom

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    James A. Talbott, Jr.

Default RE: Network problem while upgrading to A5 v 5

Tom,

Thanks for the advice. I suspect I will have to delete the runtime, delete the A5 registry keys, and then re-install the runtime.

I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Jay