Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Long shot - Losing records by 4s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long shot - Losing records by 4s

This is a long shot but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I have one application that seems to be blanking out records periodically. They always 'disappear' in consecutive records in multiples of 4 - 4, 8, or 12 is all I've seen so far. This should even be able to happen because many of the fields are set as Required fields!? It generally happens only once every month to 3 months but it's creating major concerns because these are customer orders that are disappearing.

The other strange thing is that all fields are blanked out except the 4-5 logical fields - which all default to .F. but end up as .T. when everything else is blanked out.

I suspect it's either something in my code or it has to do with their occasional network problems but we haven't been able to pinpoint when this is happening. The only thing we are fairly certain of is that they disappear on the same day they are entered. We are fairly certain of this because the orders don't seem to get printed at the end of the day.

One other thing is that some of these groups of blank records may be created by the system rather than being the result of blanking out existing records. I'm able to give them a range of missing work orders and sometimes the range doesn't exist. (They mark each original order, which is on paper, with the work order number generated by the application and keep them in order by date - which is generally the same as the work order sequence.) They workers don't notice the skipped range of numbers because there are 4 people entering data.

Any thoughts??

RE: Long shot - Losing records by 4s

Correction:

I have one application that seems to be blanking out records periodically. They always 'disappear' in consecutive records in multiples of 4 - 4, 8, or 12 is all I've seen so far. This shouldn't even be able to happen because many of the fields are set as Required fields!? It generally happens only once every month to 3 months but it's creating major concerns because these are customer orders that are disappearing.

Comment

Four records at a time? Really strange.

About the only thing that makes any sense, if a wild guess could make sense, is the relationship between

"4 people entering data" and "'disappear' in consecutive records in multiples of 4". Would seem likely that some process is colliding with another and the app winds up either not completing a set of saves.... or makes an unintended turn in a script and "some of these groups of blank records may be created by the system".

If you are finding sets of four blank records whose order numbers were not recorded by the data entry personnel, doesn't that mean that the save record script (?) fired for each station in a cascade fashion?

I know this is probably not new information for you and doesn't offer any solution.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Cal

Stan makes an interesting point. One of the keys to any troubleshooting is to look for commonalities. Are the lost records entered by the same person? Does it happen at the same time of day? Are they from the same computer? Is anything else happening at the same time, like a scheduled automatic virus scan?

You may want to add a couple fields for testing and save the time and date when a record is saved as well as the computer name and maybe user name. Perhaps you could output that info to a text file on the CanSave and again on the OnSave. Later, you could check the "missing" records against the text files.

Another check would be to tally the number of records at the end of each day. This would show which day the "lost" records occur if the day total doesn't match the previous day + records added.

I once found a weird error message problem by trapping a rolling record of the last 20 key strokes and actions that were automatically output to a text file when the error was trapped. I found that the user was hitting save multiple times before code on the CanSave and Onsave were complete. Of course, they denied it.

Jerry

Comment

Cal,

In addition to Jerry's suggestion. Yoou might try employing Alpha's "built-in" audit trail feature for deletes and for changes.

PG
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Also: Can you wite the records to a 2nd generic tble as they are being entered?
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Are you sure that orders are being properly saved and then blanked out at a later time? What evidence makes you sure of that?

Comment

John, I'm not sure whether they are properly saved or not.

Everyone,

A lot of good ideas here - thanks. I already am putting the user info in the table but it doesn't do any good in this case because the record is blanked! The times are random based on the surrounding records and there is currently no way to tell who created the blanked out record originally. However, I've obviously missed the forest for the trees because I hadn't considered saving the user name, etc. to a text file - duh! I'll try that or the audit trail and see what I can find out.

By the way, I did create a routine to test for blank records. They were supposed to run it at the end of every day before printing work orders and whenever anything suspicious happened. Guess what didn't happen!

Comment

Hi Cal,

What is the record length in the database? Is it, by any chance a divisor that goes evenly into 512 bytes (1 sector size) or your cluster size of the hard drive?

If it is, then you may be having bad writes. Try turning on write verify on your server and see if the problem goes away (You'll lose about 5% disk performance). If it does, it's your server. If not, then the other thing to look for is null's (Ascii 0's) in the table data where the blank records are. This could also be a source of the problem. Get a hex dumper (I use HexMad) and view the data and look for funny characters in the area.

Look at the table using the default form, and see if the 1st or last fields of any of the blank records are truly blank.

Regards,

Ira
                  Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                  Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                  New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                  CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                  CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Ira,

Record size it 805. I have no idea what the sector size is but will have their network guy let me know.

However, I feel stupid now for not thinking about looking at it with a hex editor. Based on your comment, I used a hex editor and found out that all bytes in the 'blank' records are hex 00 (not 20 [space] as for other blank record info) EXCEPT one field, Completed_byf, which is always hex 20 for all 30 characters. Even the first character of the record; used to identify normal, marked, or deleted records; is 00.

Based on this I checked every reference to the Completed_byf field (only 3 references) and the only thing I found which was at all unusual (although I don't see why it would cause this issue) was in the CanArrive event of one of the forms. (And, right now I can't tell you why it's in the CanArrive rather than the OnArrive - maybe there was a good reason, maybe not.)

The script in question was used to set the "default" value when closing out the work order. The "default" value is based on a global variable (g_comp_by). Unfortunately, it's not really a default value because it only gets entered after the job has been done and the work order is being closed out so the Default Value field rule isn't applicable.

Here's the original script:

DIM GLOBAL g_comp_by as c

IF this.value = "" .and. parentform.mode_get()="CHANGE" .and. g_comp_by ""
                    this.value = g_comp_by
                    END IF

END

The unusual part to me is that I used "this.value" since I seldom use that construction. I've rewritten it to:

DIM GLOBAL g_comp_by as c

IF parentform:completed_by.text = "" .and. parentform.mode_get()="CHANGE" .and. g_comp_by ""
                    parentform:completed_by.text = g_comp_by
                    END IF

END

I'm not at all convinced that this is the issue but at least it's something to check.

Anyone have any thoughts on these scripts or the zeros in the record?

Comment

Working...
                    X