Alpha Video Training

Thread: First Record with a Filtered Form

Real Name
    Alan Lucas

Default First Record with a Filtered Form

The Form has a field named Active against which the user has the option to input Yes or No

The Form is accessed by a button which runs a dialog box with the option Yes to show Active items and No to show Inactive items.

The Yes and No buttons run the relevant Action Scripts that filter the data Active or Inactive.

The problem I have is when you go to enter a record for the first time, from the button, because there has been no records created, to run the filters, it will not access the Form to input the very first record.

How can I get to the Form while still maintaining the filter Action Script to use on future filtered records.

Alan

Real Name
    Marc King

Default RE: First Record with a Filtered Form

I would think the simplest solution would be to just add a seed record to the table. You could delete the record after you create a first actual record.

Marc

Real Name
    Alan Lucas

Hi Marc,

Your suggestion is how we test our data, however, when you give a clean application to a client how do they get their first record in?

Alan

Real Name
    Marc King

I believe you have painted yourself into a corner by calling the form and filtering script in one click.

Generally in my apps the navigation is never co-mingled with searches or filtering. It makes far better design sense to open the form and once there offer the user as many sorting and filtering options as they may require.

I have one app that stores management campaigns for over a dozen different type media vendors. When you open the app you see a browse that shows all records in the system. I provide a drop down list of media types. Select a type and the browse is filtered. Select the detail form from the viewable records with a doulble click. I also use this same technique to show running totals payed to campaign types per quarter on the fly.

In your case you could have a page simply called view active/inactive. Once at the page provide buttons or a drop list to filter the records

This design is patterned after big $$$$$ systems from Agile, Seibel, and SAP.

There may be a reason why you chose to do it your way but I would recommend you re-examine your design. I think you will have to if the seed record option is not viable for your needs.

Marc

Real Name
    Alan Lucas

Hi Marc,

Problem solved,

In the Action Script to open the Form make the Open Form Action Conditional by selecting the "if show/hide conditions",

then set the Execute Action if to: "Flag variables True"

then set the Flag to ".T."

In the same Action Script
    Add a new Action to open the same Form with "no additional selection criterior".

When running this script from the Dialog Box "Yes" button the new blank Form will be displayed if it is the first time into the Form for entering your first record.

Found this out by trial and error.

Hope this will help others.

Alan

Real Name
    Alan Lucas

Correction

Set the Flag to .F.

Sorry

Alan