Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A5v5 and using Win98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A5v5 and using Win98

OK, this really isn't about using A5v5 with Win98. It's really a message to all those people who complain about others using Win98. I read a couple more tonight while searching and just had to comment on it.

I would be very happy to switch to XP Pro BUT most of my customers (thankfully not all of them) are still using Win98. So, do I develop in XP then tell my customers that they will have to pay $4000 for the new application and $10,000 for all new computers because I didn't make sure the app would run correctly on Win98 - I think not!

True, they could save some money by upgrading but most of their machines are old enough that I don't recommend upgrading them. Besides, brand new XP installations seem to be more reliable than upgrades so add the cost of the upgrade software plus paying someone to upgrade their computers plus the cost of additional memory, which would be a minimum requirement, and they may as well just buy new computers - which they aren't willing to do!

Heck, I just got one customer to get rid of a 486 about a year and a half ago so they could move up to A5v4 - but they put in someone else's old computer that is something like a P133 with 32 meg of RAM so they're still running v1 because I don't think it's worth the effort yet.

Is XP Pro the better way to go - Absolutely!

Is it realistic to ask my customers to upgrade to XP Pro - Not a chance!

To those of you who don't have this problem, I truly envy you. However, please quit belittling those of us who face a different reality.

Personally, I will probably buy a second computer with XP sometime this summer rather than upgrading my current one. This will allow me to keep a Win98 machine around so I can test my apps in Win98 before installing them at customer locations that are still using that version of Windows.

RE: A5v5 and using Win98

Cal:
    for what it's worth, you are doing things the right way. We also have many clients still using Win98se, so we develop for them on a Win98se computer. I have had no problems with clients running XP Pro running apps designed on Win98se. Also, I always suggest that a new computer with XP Pro installed is the right way to go, as opposed to an upgrade.

Comment

Hello Cal:

Win XP is in fact Win 2000 with a much fancier interface and enhanced functionality. Some people like the changes while others are actually confused by all that is happening. Win 2000 uses the same core operating system as XP without much of the clatter, plus it has the added benefit of looking and feeling very much like Win 98. However, unlike Win 98, you won�t have System Resource problems with Win 2K. For example, now I reboot once a month instead of once or twice a day.

So in my opinion, if your customers can find Win 2K at a very reasonable cost, I think that might be a better option. I haven�t checked around, but I would hazard a guess that it�s cheaper than XP. Of course they would probably have to bump up memory, but you can get a 256K module for less than $30, or a 128K module for less than $20.

I�m sure you�re probably thinking that for many of your customers, even that might be overkill. You�re probably right Cal, but I couldn�t resist throwing my thoughts into the discussion.

Robert T.

Comment

Hi Cal,

You are right in designing on a Win 98 system. In fact, I check my development on a Win 98 1st edition running at 300 Mhz. (I could if need be, check it on a 233 Mhz PC as well), running in an even smaller memory size (48M to 64M).

This is the only way to see the performance and other issues that a faster, newer computer might hide.

On the other hand, I always try to get my clients to move up to a faster computer with more memory, as in most cases, the timed saved has a direct cost benefit in more productivity or less salary cost.

But forcing a client to upgrade when there is no benefit is a great way to lose a client.

Regards,

Ira
        Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
        Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
        New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
        CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
        CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Cal:

This is an interesting topic, as I am presently running 4 different operating systems to simulate all my clients.

I am running Windows 2000 server, Windows XP Pro (on domain), Win98SE, and Windows XP Home on my network. (Look into a Linksys KVM switch - it's great.)

Amongst those are an assortment of processors to simulate the speed of the scripts and refreshing issues on slower machines.

It is all required in an effort to avoid the need to actually go to a clients location any more than necessary. I guess it would be safe to say that, in addition to developing software, I am also the outsourced IT department for small several companies.

It also helps to have drives and folders permanently mapped to simulate the client in the event you need to hard code the paths to folders on a server. Some designate the server as drive 'g', 'm', 'z', etc...

What I have found, in all of this, is that computer/processor speed is a very large issue, while the operating system only results in small issues periodically.

By large issue, I mean that, while I develop on a 2.4 gig machine, I test on the slowest machine onto which the application is to be installed. There is nothing worse that showing a new client an application with scripts, reports, and forms that take 'forever' to run/load/fan through. Though I do my best to follow the logic of lessons learned in the past, the smallest error can cause all sorts of delays on slower machines. It is better to optimize them for speed before rather than after, and this is sometimes hard to do on a fast machine!

One such operating system issue is with the stability of the operating system and how it effects A5. That is to say that a bug in my application may force A5 to close in 98SE with no error message and a 'forced exception', while XP will show a somewhat cryptic Alpha Software error message, allow the user to close the error dialog, and allow the user to continue working in Alpha Five. In other words, XP reveals what the problem is within my application, where SE hides the error message and closes.

Windows 2000 appears to be close to if not as stable as XP with regard to the 'forced exceptions' in 98SE.

As far as developing, I use XP (the faster machines), and test on the others when needed. There are subtle differences on occasion.

Further compounding my overall picture is that I have applications running out there in three versions of Alpha. The whole thing gets a little confusing at times...

Sorry if this post is a bit disjointed; I've been typing it between phone calls all morning.

Just thought I'd add my comments... I guess I'm happy that others are trying to head off issues in the same manner. I guess I'm not too far off base.

Good luck in your planning!

Craig

Comment

Craig

Excellent thoughts. I try to do much the same and see similar results. One of the unpredictable problems that can't always be tested is conflicts with print drivers and software on the customers computer.

I do it somewhat differently. I have a small network with each computer using a different operating system and a typical configuration for the era of the computer. The Win98 is a 300 pentium, the WinME is a 700 Celeron, the WinXP is a 2.4 pentium 4, etc. Not only can I test each operationg system, but I can test network configurations.

Jerry

Comment

A product you may find useful is VMware Workstation. It gives you virtual machines on a single PC and allows you to run multiple operating systems simultaneously. Each "virtual machine" is separate from the others so you can also use it to test network applications. We use it here to help reduce the number of systems we have to keep around for testing purposes.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
              Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
              Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

1) WinXP costs $200 big $ out of real money ( my wallet, as a retiree) I remember when OS upgrades were $25. 2) WinXP will not run my old BASIC programs written in 1984-87. 3) I spend more time writing programs than running them. 4) why pay more $ to get anoher OS which is poorly written?

Comment

Working...
                X