Alpha Video Training

Thread: Print or save report as rtf

Linda Walker

Default Print or save report as rtf

Is there any way to get a report to print or save as rtf without a tab getting inserted before and after each piece of data. I am doing a long text report with inserted data at key points. It looks fine when printed w/in A5V5 but looks awful when saved as rtf and opened in Word. There are all kinds of spaces within words and around data entries.
    Thanks

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: Print or save report as rtf

Linda,

I don't have experience with saving reports or letters from A5 as RTF files, so can't offer a suggestion to the immediate issue. However, your post reminded me of an old word processing trick that might help. If you can embed a symbol (an asterisk or something) on either side of your variable data in the layout, maybe you can easily search and replace (remove) the extra tab spaces once the RTF file is created. What's needed is a marker of sorts in the layout so that Word can search for it and then delete the trailing or preceding tab also. Hope this helps. -- tom

Linda Walker

Thanks for the suggestion, but... I have developed an app that I sell retail. My users want to be able to customize the reports beyond what I give them. I had offered an export of the data so they can mail-merge in Word but that is too sophisticated for some so I had hoped that printing or saving to rtf would give them something to work with. I can't tell a thousand customers to do a search and replace, so at this point this feature may not have solved my problems. Hopefully this will get corrected some day.

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

it is not going to get corrected because it is they way that the rtf printer driver works.

alpha licenses this printer driver from amyuni and we have been in communication with them about this, and it is not something that they are able to change.

it would be a fairly simply matter for you to use a5's OLE AUTOMATION features to automatically open word (behind the scenes) and do a search and replace for the tabs in word, then save the document.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Linda,

I see what you mean.

I wonder if they would be able to copy and paste from a generic text file? Surely that wouldn't be too difficult would it ? If not, maybe your app should save as Plain Text. I don't know if it will also insert unwanted tab characters, but you might try it.

-- tom

Linda Walker

Same thing happens with plain text when I tried it. I'll experiment with Selwyn's suggestion about automating the search and replace in Word - of course that means I couldn't use tabs in my document, but I can work with that restriction.