Alpha Video Training

Thread: screensize in runtime app

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Wanda Tucker

Default screensize in runtime app

Anyone ever have a problem with their forms in an app installed with a runtime license opening up to about 1/4th the size it should be?

If so, how'd you fix it?

Thanks!
    Wanda

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default RE: screensize in runtime app

Wanda,

It sounds like your user is running with a higher screen resolution than you on your design machine. There's no easy way to fix this. It may do you no good to know this now, but the easiest solution for this is to find out what resolution the target machines will have and use that same resolution on your development machine. In the meantime your user could temporarily change their screen res when running your app. (Not a good long term solution).

There's an article on this at www.learnalpha.com (If memory serves) which describes a system to overcome this by designing multiple copies of the same form, at different screen resolutions, and using your startup script to detect the user's settings so that the appropriate set of forms is displayed while the app is running.

In my own case I've designed everything at 800 x 600 which seemed to be the 'standard' (more or less) a year or so ago. Perhaps a higher resolution would be considered 'standard' now, but in the end it's really a matter of personal taste, and visual acuity.

-- tom

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Wanda Tucker

WAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for responding and again for the detailed answer...I'll hunt down the article and go from there, Tom.

Wanda

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Wanda Tucker

He there,
    I found the article, read it and promptly fainted. I realize I will miss my deadline and can hardly stand it...teaches me to NEVER promise or even project a completion date...but I'm afraid the steady paychecks might stop.

In any event, why wouldn't just simply setting screen size in inches work? Seems like it would...currently, I've selected to "use form width" and "use form heighth". What are problems associated with using specific inches?

Thanks!
    W

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Wanda, I don't think it will matter. Try it, then change your screen settings to a different resolution. Did you form change size ?

-- tom

Real Name
    John Keogh

Wanda

I have similar problems like this distribution my apps around various machines.

I make everything up in two screen sizes and let the user choose at first runtime. I believe alpha can workout the resolution of a screen but I have had no luck in getting it to automatically choose the appropriate forms. It’s a bit of extra work but it saves a lot of heart ache latter.

Regards

John

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ohlen Cartmell

John,
    At the first runtime, does the user make the choice 1 time or do they choose with each form that's opened? Do you build in a provision to change it later if the user changes computers?

Real Name
    John Keogh

Ohlen

The user makes the choice once and then its remembered for all future runs as the default resolution. Its at the opening form and all forms then run at that resolution.

Yes the facility is provided to change the default resolution.

John

Real Name
    John Keogh

Ohlen

I remember seeing something about a command called “form resize” that should do this automatically and filed it in my junkyard brain but I have never been able to get further information on it. I think there was a problem with embedded browses that didn’t resize properly.

John

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ohlen Cartmell

John,
    There is an article on learnalpha that I used with Selwyn's help to write a function that resizes the form. You're correct that it did not (at least at my level of skill) resize the font in RTF's or browses. I finally abandoned my efforts in that direction in favor of a more simple approach.

Real Name
    John Keogh

Ohlen

My skill level is pretty low so I’ll stick with my method of giving the user the option at runtime.

Thanks for the information on the article.

John

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Wanda Tucker

All very interesting comments and ideas. Thanks to all of you. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, yet, but will post what I come up with - hopefully soon!

TTFN!
    W