Alpha Video Training

Thread: Home Edition

James Peterson

Default Home Edition

If someone buys the Home Edition of A5V5 to construct a database and then finds they need assistance a problem immediately arises. As I understand the situation, a program written in the full version of A5V5 cannot be read by the Home Edition. So, the someone then would have to buy the full version to utilize the program written by a consultant in the full version. Or, a consultant would have to have both versions. etc.

One of the touted advantages of Alpha is for the end user to be able to make changes to a program. So, if the consultant uses runtime that cannot be done. Or am I wrong in this regard.

I also believe the price of A5V5 full version now exceeds Access.

VAR
    Real Name
    John Lemisch

Default RE: Home Edition

I think the new home edition is meant to be a tool for those who are NOT developers, so that they can make their databases for catalogs of their photos, movies, etc., etc. Everything has its' place in the marketplace, therefore the home edition has its' place, as well. It is NOT meant to be a "cheaper" way to go, if what you really want is to do is develop (changes = development)! As for the price of the full version exceeding the price of Access; well so does its' power. You usually get what you pay for. In the case of Alpha Five however, you get much more than you paid for.

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

My view it that Access for free isn't a good deal. It takes too much time to do much productive and my time is worth something. A5 is much easier and faster.

Jerry

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

I don't know. Had trouble making heads and tails out of what you said. The home Edition is the same as the full version except the Home Edition does not have the Xdialog genies. You can write the xdialog with xbasic in the Home Edition.

If I create an app for someone and they want to run it with the Home Edition, they should be able to do that. If it won't, all I have to do is convert the genies to xdialog.

The Home Edition for $99 is a great buy. 99% of most users who are not developers won't need the full version. It's your choice. Works for me!!

kenn

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

One cannot create a runtime app with the Home Edition. In other words, you can't buy the Home Editioin and Runtime and create a stand alone app. Only the full version and Runtime can do that.

kenn

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Correction Ken, according to Alpha:

Another user in my organization has a copy of the Full version of Alpha Five. I would like to use the application that he has created.
    You will need a Full version of Alpha Five V5. The Home edition of Alpha Five cannot edit an application that was created by the Full edition of Alpha Five V5.

So, you can't go from the full version to the Home edition but you can go the other way around - i.e., you can upgrade.

This means that his statement about a consultant needing both versions is basically legitimate but there might be a another alternative. The consultant could look at the program and provide advice on how to resolve a simple issue even though he couldn't actually do the work with the full version and send it back. On the other hand, $99 may be peanuts compared to the developer fees if the problem isn't trivial.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Note: Although the above reference says the Home edition cannot [i]edit[/b] an application created by the full version, another one states: "The Home Edition cannot open applications created by Full version of Alpha Five V5."

James Peterson

I did not expect this subject to become so complicated.

Question. If I own the Home Edition can I use the Order Entry App written by John Magno? Can I use the Alpha Sports program provided with the full version of A5? What applications in the application directory of Alpha can be used if any?

Does the Home Edition contain the features of Action Scripting?

And, if someone buys the Home Edition and finds he needs a programmer to complete an application is it then necessary for the user to upgrade to Full Version? I guess not if the programmer has the Home Edition.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Cal,

I guess I better read a bit closer the info that Alpha releases. I definately was under the impression that the only difference was that the only difference was that the HE did not have the Xdialog genies and you could not couple it with RT. I try to find what I read.

Thanks,

kenn

James Peterson

For instance, the recent postcard promotional mailing by Alpha states the following "If you don't require multi-user access to your database, and are not developing applications for others to use(with the Alpha Five Runtime), then at $99, the Home Edition is a remarkable value!." This is the only limitation put forward.

Also, in this card it is stated "Alpha Five version 5 = the only database to get the Maximum 5 Star Rating by users on CNET:. Was Alpha refering to the Home Edition?

James Peterson

John,

I cannot see Alpha putting forth this addition for such limited use. Those many that use Microsoft Works already have a database program included in the package.

I am not trying to bash Alpha in any way. I have used the product for years and am committed to do so. I just believe this last release can cause confusion.

Jim

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Also, in this card it is stated "Alpha Five version 5 = the only database to get the Maximum 5 Star Rating by users on CNET:. Was Alpha refering to the Home Edition?

I don't think so. I believe that rating came out prior to the release of the HE.

kenn

James Peterson

I'm sorry I brought the subject up. However, I can see nothing but confusion ahead because of the release of HE.

After all, if someone is only going to keep lists of stuff they certainly don't need a relational database.

Jim

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

All of the Alpha sample applications will work in the Home Edition, as will John's accounting package. The HE does include Action scripting, but it does not include Xdialog-specific action scripting (Xdialog actions have been removed).

-Lenny

Real Name
    Robert Gowan

Surely you don't expect a full technical specification on a postcard ? I think the postcard makes it fairly clear that Home Edition is intended primarily for those developing applications for their own use. For those using it to develop an application, it provides (I think) the same tools (except the X-Dialog Genie) and has essentially the same operating functionality as the Full Version. Unless the CNET rating was largely based on the X-Dialog Genie, then I don't see why it wouldn't apply.

As I see it, the main difference between the two editions lies in the products of the two:

- with the Full Version, you can create an App. for use in multi-user environment
    - with Home Edition, you can't

- with the Full Version, you can create an App. for use with the Runtime which can be distributed to an unlimited number of users and can be used in various multi-user situations (No. of concurrent users dependant on which Runtime option used)
    - with the Home Edition you can't

- with the Home Edition, you can create an App. that can be used - in a single user environment - by anyone with Home Edition OR Full Version of A5v5 - but it cannot be used with Runtime only.

Look at all the features the Home Edition has as compared to earlier Versions of Alpha Five or to any other database development program. It is a remarkable value !!

But, it may not be what you need.

If you need multi-user or runtime support, you need the Full Version - which is also a terrific value when you consider the amount of time it will save you to develop your Apps and your potential for royalty-free sales.

Two products - for different purposes. Both great value !!
    Take your pick.

James Peterson

So, you are saying,if we write a program using the full version of A5, a customer or user can access and run the program using HE. I guess as long as the program does not utilize Xdialog. I have a situation like this at the present time.

Amd if they buy 3 copies of HE the data on a server can be accessed from three computers.

Jim

James Peterson

Alpha has a page on their web site comparing the features of the full version and HE. One of these states:

Features
    Can open applications created with full version of Alpha.
    The answer is "yes" for the full version and "no" for the HE version.

Apparently HE will open applications written in the prior versions such as 4.5., that would include the Order Entry.

If the above is true, this whole thing is becoming somewhat complicated. Especially how to advise someone whether to spend $99.00 or $349.00.

Do we need some clarification from Alpha?

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

James,

I didn't completely understand what the thrust of your initial post. However, it's clear that you are not speaking so much about the value of HE as you are about the compatibility with other versions of A5. I'm glad you brought this up.

I agree. It would be very helpful if Alpha would provide some clear and concise information about HE. What it can do w/or w/o the full version, RT, etc.

kenn

Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

No, I am saying that the sample applications will work in the Home Edition. We have specifically enabled them to do so, but these applications are an exception. An application created in the full version cannot be opened by the Home Edition.

The Home Edition will not work in a multi-user environment, so you cannot buy 3 copies and share a single database, even if you were to create this database in the Home Edition. You would need to purchase either a 3 user license pack of the full version ($849) or the unlimited 3 user runtime ($399) for this situation.

-Lenny

Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

The Home Edition is limited in the following ways:

It will not work in a multi-user environment. You can place your application/data on a server, but only one user can access it.
    It cannot open a database created or modified in the full version of Alpha Five version 5. The full version can open a Home Edition application, but doing so will convert it to a full version application and it will no longer work in the Home Edition (you can upgrade but not downgrade).
    Applications created in the Home Edition cannot be used by the runtime. If you need to develop runtime applications, you must do so using the full version.
    There is no network optimization. You can store your database on a remote server, but you will not be able to take advantage of the performance gains offered by optimization.
    There is no Xdialog Genie (in Action Scripting). You can still create and use Xdialogs, but you must do so by writing the code manually.

-Lenny

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

My understanding is that the HE is intended to be run as a single user, stand-alone product - period. However, the resulting product can be upgraded if/when the need arises.

In other words, the HE is not a cheap way for someone to run an app created by someone else using the full version. If that's what someone wants, they should talk to the developer about supplying it as a runtime app.

Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Great summarization Cal.

-Lenny

James Peterson

Thanks much for the comprehensive reply. In our operations we will steer customers away from HE. It looks like it could only be trouble. Not in all cases of course.