Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

page up/down key not working in form mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

page up/down key not working in form mode

I have upgraded from 4.5 to home edition and now I am trying 5 as many features that worked in 4.5 are misbehaving in 5.
    One problem that I have is the pageup/down key in a form will not work if the form has an "askc" filter in it?
    Any ideas?

Larry

RE: page up/down key not working in form mode

Larry

I think you need to be much more specific. When you say "doesn't work" what exactly do you expect to happen and what does happen? Where is the "askc" filter?

There are some differences in V5, but very few actions that worked in V4.5 won't work exactly the same in V5. The only thing I have experienced are errors in code that V4.5 didn't trap that V5 will trap. in very rare cases, this has caused unexpected behaviour.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry, I was expecting the same paging through the records as you get with version 4.5.
      Without the askc function, you can step through the records, as soon as I try to filter the record by adding a filter in the form/form properties window, it stops working.
      I just had a look at a copy of the database that I have at home and I see that it works okay, but this one does not have the patches that I was advised to install. I don't know what the problem is at work with the revised builds.

At work I am trying out the home version and have had very poor results with getting it to work with my existing database. I have wasted probably 4 days of time and finally decided that I will switch back to 4.5 as I have things that have to get done.

Getting reports to display is another issue.

Comment

Larry

Sorry, I really don't understand the way you are trying to use the askc function. If you are trying to use it on a form filter, that doesn't make any sense to me. The filter expression must be evaluated as you fetch records, so the function will be called repeatedly. In fact, most developers would advise considerable care even using fixed global variables in a form filter. I think there have been some changes on how filters are evaluated in V5, but someone from Alpha would have to address that.

The statement "getting reports to display" is so vague to be meaningless to anyone trying to help.

Many people on the forum would be glad to help if they have anything to work with.

Jerry

Comment

Larry,

I don't have the Home Edition yet, but it seems odd that a filter would disable navigation for you. In a form, pgUP and pgDn will move you from record to record, if your cursor is in a field of the primary table. If your cursor is in an embedded browse, they move you from row to row.

A more likely explanation for what you're seeing is that there's something that's wrong with your askC expression. If you'll zip a copy of your database and post it here, with instructions for us on where to look, we'll be glad to try to help you get it unscrambled.

-- tom

Comment

Tom/Jerry , it turned out that something went wrong with the installation of the various patches that were supplied for the home edition.
            I reloaded the program and the patches and the forms are working fine. That made me feel better about the upgrade and today I revisited the report problem. The reports with two askC filters printed sporadically. It turned out to be a simple switch in the "report-select records" menu; the option was set on "base report on currently selected records" and when I changed it to "none", everything worked fine. The frustrating part was that before I applied the patches, the reworked reports were okay however after the patches, they stopped working and I assumed that it was related to changes I was making as I had to make many to get my database realigned. My database had many poor practise issues (and no doubt still has) as I have probably done most of the things you should not do when I got started. This upgrade forced me to clean out the redundant files and patches that I made over the past year.

Anyway, there is happiness at my desk as from what I can tell all is working well. Thanks very much for the offer to help and for the help you have given me in the past on my problems.

Larry

Comment

Jerry, I am not sure if what I am doing is acceptable practise, however when in the Form edit mode, I have naviagted through the menu selections, "Form/form properties/filter order" and added my askC filter to the window and things seem to be working as required.

It turns out that I needed a reload of the software and patches to get back on track. Report problem is fixed as well.

Thanks
              Larry

Comment

Working...
              X