Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Twenty forms layouts but only one generic Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twenty forms layouts but only one generic Form

I have a customer form similar to the Alphasports Customer Info Form. A second browse has been added to create Proposals for clients.

The browse is linked to the following Set:
    ProposalHeader
    Customers
    ProposalLineItem
    ProposalType

Depending on the type of service required from the client I have to create a Proposal(s) for the client to read. These proposals are created by adding a new record in the second browse (ProposalLineItem) window in the form. I have a choice of 20 different proposals.

Once the proposal is selected I want to print, fax, email it to the client, hopfully via Icons placed within the lined data! Once sent the characters change colour to confirm action taken place. A client can have any number of Proposals.

I am trying to make a single generic letter (the Proposal) form that will except preset paragraph details from a table holding text in fields called Paragraph Fields created using a �memo� filed rule. This table (called ProposalsType) has 20 records, each record had 8 paragraph fields. Four paragraph fields per page is the requirement.

I have examined the Customer History letter form in the Alpha Accounts � this has a Subreport panel in place of the normal text you would expect to see in a letter between the Salutation and the Signature.

The letter form I am trying to create has a 2 inch band at the top and bottom of the (A4) letter form � these areas have fields pulling in automatic information from the application � this remains the same in all of the 20 generic versions regardless.

The Subreport panel would pull the paragraph information directly from the ProposalType table.

My questions are:
    1. Can the Subreport be set up to pull in the ParagraphFields from the ProposalType table and not a pre-created report?

2. If not � does Alpha 5 have a function to add a panel that changes the pre-set data depending on the requirement?

3. Can I place icons in side the second browse window to execute the communication requirement (print, emails etc)?

Hope you understand what I am trying to achieve � I feel this is slightly too ambitious for the4 level of skill I have and would appreciate any help you could give.

Regards
    Andy

RE: Twenty forms layouts but only one generic Form

Andy,

You won't know until you try. Any field that is in the table or set the report is based on can be put in a subreport. You can also include calculated fields in a subreport.

You may have to redesign the set for the report such as reversing the set where the parent becomes the child, and the child the parent.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken,
      Thanks for the feedback - had some success already!!!
      Regards
      Andy

Comment

Andy:

You can createa letter conating a large RTF body. enter the default information needed for the letter. Then used the "If else" capabilities and replace or insert the changes based on the content of selected fields.

I hope this helps.

bob adler

Comment

Once the proposal is selected I want to print, fax, email it to the client, hopfully via Icons placed within the lined data! Once sent the characters change colour to confirm action taken place.
          3. Can I place icons in side the second browse window to execute the communication requirement (print, emails etc)?

I'm not sure what you mean by "Icons placed within the lined data", but you can create a form with an embedded browse and place buttons on the form (with icons) o do the selected actions. You may wish to add 3 logical fields to the table: print, fax, email, that would be marked .T. if the action has been performed. Note that logical fields within a browse can be displayed as a check box.

Peter
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hi Bob,
            Thanks for your suggestion, might be easier! Going to try it.
            Thanks
            Andy

Comment

Hi Peter,
              I satisfied my needs by adding a OnRowdblClick function in the browse. I created a dialog box with print, view, fax, email PDF & email Rich. This works a treat and enables me to send 20 variations of a letter using one single generic letter form with SubReport panels. The only problem I have now is automatically geting the Mailto: box auto filled with the addressee details, don't want the end user doing this, any ideas!

Many thanks to Ken, Robert and you Peter for inciting me to experiment, learn and achieve my objectives.

Regards
              Andy

Comment

The only problem I have now is automatically geting the Mailto: box auto filled with the addressee details, don't want the end user doing this, any ideas!

If the addressee data is already stored, you have two obvious (at least to me) choices:

1. Fill in table A using a lookup field rule that pulls the data from table B.

OR

2. Code w. xbasic to fill the value.

Peter
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                X