Alpha Video Training

Thread: Database Properties

Gregory R. Zilliox

Default Database Properties

When I click the dataabse properties it does not open up. Also, the application that I wrote I have set it up so it opens up the menu form, this no longer works. Alpha seems to be unstable for critical applications. I have these strange things happen that cant be explained.
    Has anybody else experienced these problems.
    Thanks
    Greg

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Default RE: Database Properties

Gregory

Lack of stability is not a not a typical problem. You behavour suggests a corrupted database dictionary. There are a number of reasons why this may occur, but the most likely culprits are crashes that leave some files open, failing to compact occasionally, running out of resources, or passibly some other unusual event.

Your first option would be to reboot the computer. Then open A5 and the database and compact the database. This is found under the File heading on the menu. Then go to View, Settings and check if the startup form is set to open on load. If none of this fixes the problem, I would then open another database (or better yet, create a new one for testing) and see if database properties can be accessed there. Then attach the table with the menu form. Make sure the form opens there. At some point, you might find what item is not working.

Jerry

Gregory R. Zilliox

Jerry I tried all of those suggestions. I even created a new database and still cannot get the database properties to open up. It's there on the menu but when I click it nothing happens. I dont know if xbasic is robust enough or is stable enough for critical applications. I have an application at work that I lost the control page options. I cant change anything becuase the menu of items does not show up under the control page and nobody knows why. I restored the database and still it does not show up. The only thing I think I can do is recreate the application and thats a major project.
    Thanks for your response.
    Greg

Gregory R. Zilliox

Jerry I found the problem. Under view and setup there is a setting for alpha 5 shared files and it was pointing to a directory that I had deleted. I changed this back to the alpha5 runtime area and it worked. Now if I can only solve my other problem that would be great.
    Greg

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

"I lost the control page options"

If you mean that some of the tabs aren't showing up in the control panel, right click on any of the existing tabs and you will see a list of all the tabs. Check any that you want to make visible.

After accessing an app with the runtime, the "Code" tab will usually disappear - this is normal operation.

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Greg

Be aware that some options available under the development version are not available under the runtime. For example, the runtime will not show a code tab.

Jerry