Alpha Video Training

Thread: How would you handle this?

Real Name
    Charlain Fondren

Default How would you handle this?

Let's say you have a list of prospects, and want to create a new record for them in a different table once they actually become clients. The prospects come to you on specific lists that never contain more than 30 names at a time.

The 30 prospects appear in an embedded browse, on a set-based form (Prospect List is the parent & prospects are one-to-many children) The browse contains a logical field that is displayed as a checkbox.

When you receive a "List Update" that shows which prospects from that list are now clients, you want to simply place a checkmark in the checkbox on the embedded browse for the prospect, and automatically have a new record created for the prospect as a new client in the "Client's" table. The new record should be populated with all the information contained in the browse about the new client (i.e. SS#, name, address, phone).

I've tried and can't get this to work. The best I've been able to do is an "on row double click" that brings up the prospect record and then click on a button in the individual record that has a script with table pointers that create the new record.

So, I'm wondering how would some of you A5 pros handle this? It would be fine if I could put all the necessary checkmarks in the browse and then hit a button that would create all the new client records at once, too.

Thanks, Charlain

Real Name
    Dan Blank

Default RE: How would you handle this?

Hi Charlain,

I'd write an append operation, and attach it to a button. It would only append the records that have a checkmark (.T.) in the client field.

I'd also have it check for duplicates so you don't append the record more than once to the client table.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Real Name
    Charlain Fondren

Default RE: How would you handle this?

Dan,
    Thanks so much! I wish I had asked weeks ago instead of struggling with this!! After you pointed me in the right direction, I was able to accomplish what I wanted in less than 10 minutes. You've really made my day!
    Charlain