Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Topic Maps - Anyone Using Or Planning To ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topic Maps - Anyone Using Or Planning To ?

I found a several interesting articles regarding Topic Maps (an XML technology) and how to implement in a RDBMS. Has anyone tried this or have plans to use? Apparently, the system can be implemented on "top" of an existing RDBMS application - greatly enhancing the usability.

A link to 2 of the articles follows:

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/03/05/tmrdb.html

http://www.ontopia.net/topicmaps/materials/tao.html

Does AlphaSoftware plan to look at this technology? It looks VERY promising.

Al

RE: Topic Maps - Anyone Using Or Planning To ?

I believe that the issue here is that the complexity of traditional RDBMS design time makes the XML run time topic map approach feasable.

A5 uses Xbasic, Xdialogue and genie automation to simplify design time to an extent that the XML topic map method becomes superfluous.

In upcoming version 6 SQL tables will be as easily managed and edited as any other type of data bringing the reality of RAD to enterprise RDBMS programming.

Just my oppinion but integrated automation beats XML in my book.

Perhaps others have another position on the matter.

Marc
    Marc King
    A5solutions

Comment

Marc,

I agree that Alpha 5 makes many things easier; however, for an information-based application like I am designing, topic maps are based on a structure that is very flexible yet totally organizing. I will have many links to various topics, concepts, associations, occurrences, facets etc. This gives me a "starting point" for organizing disparite information archives, "information chunks," timelines, outlines etc.

Al

Comment

Sounds interesting, I have built several business lifecycle apps that allow the attachment of any number of any type of files to a project. Alternatly these files can have keywords attached that allow filtering of the attachments in a seperate library app.

Doing this in an environment where Access was the tool of choice was problematic and time consuming to the extreme.

Visual basic and to some extent Filemaker with XML does allow much needed flexability. That being said there is nothing I have found that cant be accomplished directly within the A5 environment.

I totally agree that as XML was invisioned it allows flexible integration of many disparate legacy data sources. I also think its days are numbered by ever advancing simplified design tools like A5 that will soon retire those legacy systems.

The more I learn about code be it XML, SOAP, XSLT ect...
        The more I realize that the need to code in these extended languages is a failure on the part of companies who dont understand the user interface or priciples of process automation. I give it one or two years and all these programming tasks will be gone. Giving way to packaged integrators and toolbox addons partnered with Data Base providers.

Thats my soap box, for what its worth.
        Marc

Marc King
        A5solutions

Comment

Marc,

I will be using A5 as my "control center" however, via XML and/or XTM we can "talk" to other apps; this makes our data and information reusable in different environments. We can maintain our "mapping" databases in A5 so that subsets of our information can be exported, transformed/used by another application then imported back into A5 if necessary.

For example, A5 does not have the capabilities (as far as I know :-) ) for efficient outlining or timeline creation; and I need both of these capabilities. However, A5 can assemble the raw data for me, export it to my outliner (eg LM that accepts XML import) then import the finished outline and store it in a memo field for future use.

Another information application I use that has an import/export capability is PersonalBrain and I want to have it talk to A5 (when XML import is added to A5) for obvious reasons. The list goes on...

Al

Comment

Working...
          X