Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to make a search box/field in a form/browse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make a search box/field in a form/browse

I have made a form which also contains a browse. I would like to include a search option in the form.(not the pop up version)and And I the search to be executed by pressing a button. The output should be in the browse.

I have played around with the button option in the toolbox but can't figure out how to do it. Appreciate any help.

Regards
    Kim

RE: How to make a search box/field in a form/brows

look at the attached jpeg.
    you select company or last name
    type in a value and click on the find button

charlie crimmel

Comment

Yes, something like that, but my problem was how to make it work, how Do I make a search field, how do I link it so it searches the correct table/record and how do I produce the output in a browse.

A few hints would be deeply aprreciated.

Kim

Comment

Hi Kim,

Can you be more specific? A search something like Charlies is not very specific. If you don't want a dialog box to pop up in which you will enter search criteria, that leaves you with Find By Form and Query by Form or Query by Table. You will need the fields on the form which will contain the values for entering search criteria.

Here's how it works:
        1. Create a button on the form to perform either a QBF or FBF.
        2. Create a button on the form to 'run' the QBF or FBF.
        3. When the button is pressed, the fields which you put on the form for entering search criteria, will go blank or appear empty.
        4. Enter the values in whatever fields you want. Press the run FBF or run QBF buttons. The records matching the search criteria will appear in the browse.

Hope this gets you started.

kenn
        TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hi Kim,

Your best tutor would be to go to the AlphaSports database that is included with A5v5. Go to the customers form. Put the form into design mode and study the example.

There is also a PDF available for download that explains how to create all the forms and codes in the AlphaSports database.

Dan
          Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Hi!
            Spot on Kenn, but when making a query a QBF dialog box pops up, Is there a way of predefining the query terms to always use "contains character". So I don't have to fill it out for every search?

Regards
            Kim

Comment

Sure but you'll need to create a custom search feature using Xbasic.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I think what Kim is asking for is a field on a form into which you can type a search string and a button which will search for whatever has been entered in the field.

I just took a look at Alpha Sports and I didn't see this particular search feature. (Of course the search feature in Alpha Sports is great and merits study.)

Anyway, if I am right about what Kim wants it is easy enough to do and I attach a sample.

I have a little table of names. The table's primary index is based on the name field.

I edited the table's default form and added a layout level variable called vFindby. I created a field control for the variable on the form. I added a button to the form with this code:

parentform.find(vFindby)

If you enter the letter L in the field and push the button the form jumps to the record for which the name is "Lorne".

Bill
                Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Bill,

Perhaps it's just me but I downloaded the file and get the error message, Failed to Save Document. Opens to the CP but the icons are only 1/2 there. Did you zip the file from one folder?

kenn

Comment

Bill,

Perhaps it's just me but I downloaded the file and get the error message, Failed to Save Document. Opens to the CP but the icons are only 1/2 there. Did you zip the file from one folder?

kenn

Comment

Hi Ken,

Give it another try. I just downloaded the file and it was intact: one table with a single form.

It did all come from one folder.

Bill
                      Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I'll try it again. I've downloaded twice, once to open and once to save it to a file; both with the same results. The table icon is 1/2 there and there are no forms, etc.

kenn

Comment

Bill,

I downloaded on my machine with W2k and all is well. The download's that didn't work were on my laptop with XP Pro. Would like to know if someone with XP can download OK.

Thanks,

kenn

Comment

Bill,

I agree, you have the right assessment of what Kim wants but after opening the form, I entered the letter L in the field as instructed. Pushed the button and the Find by Key dialog box pops up. The value which was in the field is now overwritten by the letter L which I just entered and the record is changed.

For the record, I also downloaded this at work where I only have V5RT so could not check to see if the code and variable was intact.

Perhaps someone else will give this a try.

kenn

Comment

Make sure the table's primary index is set to name (and not record number). The find dialog pops up if the table is in record number order.

In real life you could easily prevent this from happening with a single addtional line of code on the search button but I didn't get into refinements as I was unsure if what I was writing was what was desired.

Bill
                              Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Working...
                              X