Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Expected Value on opening tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expected Value on opening tables

I just started Alpha 5 for the first time. I imported a table; when I tried to open it, I got a message "Expected Value". Now I have simply created a table and get the same error.
    What should I do?
    Thanks

RE: Expected Value on opening tables

Hello Richard,

It's difficult to advise when all we have to go on is a general idea of what you did. If you're willing to supply some details I'm sure you will get some help. Otherwise, any help is pretty much a guess, which is OK if someone has time to make a guess. But, if the guess is wrong, it may cause even more frustration for you.

That said, is there any data in the database? Just a guess.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Specifically, I simply created a table. I double click and get a message box with heading "Error" - message: "Expected Value".
      No data yet, because it won't open.

Comment

Richard,

This isn't the way I'd like to see Alpha work but once data is entered, the message will no longer appear.

I wonder what developers do to avoid this message when they send an app to a client that has no data?

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Interesting, but how would I get data in? I can get a form I created to come up, but it won't allow entry. Are you with Alpha? Thanks a lot for your help on this.

Richard

Comment

Ken
            Two other tidbits. I have imported several tables from Access, each of which has considerable data. Same issue. Could this have something to do with the files being on a different machine?
            Richard

Comment

I've imported Access tables and have never had a problem. Are you saying the table structure is on one machine and the data is on another? If not, what do you mean by the 'files on a different machine'?

kenn

Comment

Richard,

"I simply created a table. I double click and get a message box with heading "Error" - message: "Expected Value"."

Double click on what. I feel sure something very simple (even silly) is going wrong. If you describe what you are doing I feel sure many will be able to unsnarl whatever is going wrong.

A couple of questions:
                -have you created a new database first prior to creating the table.
                -have you saved the new table prior to attempting to enter data.
                -have you opened the table's default form or browse to enter data.
                -have you taken the table (or form, or browse) out of design mode before attempting to enter data into it.

Bill
                Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

I have seen this error in 2 situations. one is where I've made a new table and gone to a new line to create the next field and changed my mind after entering a few characters in the expression. Delete the characters and alpha seems to want it completed no matter what you do.

Second is same situation where I haven't entered anything in expression but have gone to a new line to prepare for a new field. I will get the error.

In either case the solution is to back out of it and redo it without going to a new line at the end, just save it. Oddly though it doesn't always do this or I haven't looked at it to see exactly the situation. It is something that can be worked around and really doesn't seen to make a lot of difference.

Russ

Comment

Thanks for your ideas. I had originally stored the data on a computer which didn't have Alpha 5 installed. Now I've moved the data back to the computer I'm using. The problem has gone away.
                    For future purposes, if I do network, does the computer with the data need to be running Alpha 5?
                    Thanks

Comment

No

Comment

Working...
                      X