Alpha Video Training

Thread: strange effect on icons

Derron Vandewege

Default strange effect on icons

Has anybody else run into this? Frequently, while I'm designing an application in Alpha Five, the labels on my desktop icons change to Bold Text. There is no way to change them back unless I restart my computer.

This is rather annoying! I'm running WinXP. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Derron

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Default RE: strange effect on icons

I've never seen this so I don't know if this will help at all but I would suggest checking your 'start in' folder. If you are starting A5 from an icon and the icon doesn't specify a 'start in' folder, the default start in is usually the desktop.

I'm not sure about v5 yet but v4 would sometimes add harmless but annoying 'ghost' application data dictionary icons on the desktop when no 'start in' folder was specified. So far, v5 doesn't seem to be creating these ghost data dictionaries so this may not help at all.

FWIW: For my v4 apps, it seemed best to use the application path as the 'start in' whenever possible, otherwise I used the a5 executable path but this would sometimes end up putting the (harmless) 'ghost' data dictionaries in the executable folder and I would periodically delete them. At least they didn't show up on the desktop that way.

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Yes, I have experienced exactly waht you describe. Only way I have found to correct it is, as you said, reboot the computer.

Gary

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Derron

I once had this happen, but only once. The problem occured when I managed to use up all memory resources after a long design session where I managed to leave some tables open, left some dialog forms open, had a few crashes due to some coding errors I had made and generally was making a hash of the work session. Like many programs, improper shutdown of the program (like in a self induced crash) can lead to allocated memory not being cleared.

In design mode, Alpha loads much information into memory. This is particulary true with the code editor. When you are editing some code, it appears that Alpha saves the original code as well as the new edited code in memory. If you are editing a number of scripts at the same time, this can be a lot of space. I have a computer with 64 meg of ram that I can lock up fairly easily if I have many scripts loaded and all being edited. The solution on that computer was to save changes regularly and only edit one at a time. You also want to compact regularly since this reduces the size of data dictionaries that are also loaded.

Every computer I have reacts differently to memory problems. Two of them lose the function of the tab key. Another running XP develops video problems. The only way to clear up the problem is to reboot. If a reboot clears it up, it is very likely a memory or resource issue. Incidentally, my computer that gives the most trouble has 640 meg of ram. I have seen available resources down to 20%. Some testing has shown that Alpha uses about the same resources as Word. I have one graphics program that uses over 4 times as much.

Jerry

Real Name
    Jim Brown

It has happened to me on more than one occassion.
    I'm running win xp, w/256MB RAM.

I Have not noticed on another machine running win98.

Real Name
    Dr. Gary Traub

Mine is running with XP and 512 MB RAM

Gary

Derron Vandewege

Thank you all for your responses. It's good to know I'm not alone with this problem. I have already instituted Cal's suggestion and specified a 'start in' folder for my desktop A5 icon. We shall see if that clears up the problem.

I will also monitor memory usage and see if there's any obvious connection to this behavior. I'm running XP with 256 MB RAM.

Would anybody at Alpha Software care to express an opinion on this little situation?

Derron

Real Name
    Charles Kistler

I'm running XP 256M RAM. This usually happens to me when I am working with style sheets.