Alpha Video Training

Thread: End of Development to Runtime

Real Name
    Alan Lucas

Default End of Development to Runtime

after 6 years using Alpha Dos i have, over the last 6 months ,updated our system to A5v5 and it works perfectly. the development was done on our w200 server with xp on our pc's. i am now ready to create our first runtime using Astrum InstallWizard and issue it to a client who has a w200 server with 5 pc xp workstations.

there has been so much written in the forum about problems associated with runtime on installations and updating that i am very nervous in taking the next move hence my visit to the forum to get advice on the following:

1. installation of clients runtime

Do i install the runtime on all the 5 pc workstations and the server and then map them? or run a shadow db on the server?

2. Alphasoftware update patches.

How do i get these updates onto to the clients runtime versions?

3. System Updates

How do i get any upgrades to our master application
    ( which has no data) onto the clients system? how will this affect the data they have inputted into their system.

i have tried to find a simple comprehensive user document that can guide me through this phase but without success.

i very much appreciated any asistance from the forum members.

thanks

alan

Real Name
    Rick Tobiassen

Default RE: End of Development to Runtime

Alan

I'll answer questions 1 and 2 and hope someone with a bit more experiance answers question 3.

1. installation of clients runtime

Do i install the runtime on all the 5 pc workstations and the server and then map them? or run a shadow db on the server?

You only have to load the runtime on the 5 workstations unless you are going to use the server as a workstation also. Place your application on the server then map all the workstations to that machine. Once you have done that then from each workstation run network optimisation which will create a shadow on the workstation. Each workstation will then access the shadow database each time they use the application. If you make any changes to the application on the server then each workstation will run the refresh shadow.

2. Alphasoftware update patches.

How do i get these updates onto to the clients runtime versions?

If your asking about including the latest patch at the time you install the runtime then include it on your CD and run the patch after you have installed the runtime. For future patches you will have to have each PC connected to the internet or download the patch to a CD and then distribute.

Hope this helps.

Rick T

Real Name
    Alan Lucas

Thanks Rick,

2 down 1 to go.

Alan

Former Alpha Employee JerryBrightbill's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jerry Brightbill

Alan

Question 3 has been discussed frequently on the forum. There is also an article in the July 2002 newsletter about file structures that is helpful. Basically, all of your designs, scripts, function, toolbars, menus, etc are saved in data dictionary files.

For the database itself, these are the files with the name of the database and the alb, alm, and alx file extensions. For tables, these are the files with the name of the table and the ddd, ddm, ddx file extensions. Sets are contain no data, so they are only data dictionaries and are the set, sem, sex files.

No real data exists in the data dictionaries, just structure information. If make any changes, you can copy these files to the user database directory and they will show all of the changes. If the user is networked, copy these files to the server and then have each terminal refresh the shadow. Data only exists in the dbf, cdx, and fpt files. If you don't overwrite those, you will lose no data.

The only exceptions to this occur if you change a table structure by adding a field or, in some cases, changing a field name. Both of these issues have a number of threads on the forum. You can search for "update" or something like that and see what you can find.

Jerry

Real Name
    Alan Lucas

Thanks Jerry,

understood and will do further research as you suggest.

alan

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

As a point of conversation, I'd give some serious thought about NOT installing any patches. While a patch usually includes a bug fix, if the app is 'running perfectly', why take a chance that the future bug fixes might affect the 'perfect app'?. Sometimes it's best to leave 'well enough' alone.

kenn