Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to: Table browse based on related set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to: Table browse based on related set?

I have a table to browse, and I want to be able to filter this browse based on a related set, or perhaps just browse the set. The situation is a set of contacts who belong from 0 to n groups. Parent table is base contact info, child table is a linking table with contact ID and group ID.

(The set is pictured in http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaphorum/read.php3?num=11&id=22007&loc=0&offset=0&sortby=lastreply&direction=desc&thread=22007)

The issues are these:

1. When unfiltered, each parent record should appear at least once, even if n is zero, i.e., the parent belongs to no groups. (If I browse on a set designed to only show parents that have children, I won't get these obviously.)

2. Filtered or unfiltered, each parent record should appear no more than once, regardless of how high n is. (If I browse on a set, this won't happen, because each parent will get n entries.)

3. But the browse should be filterable by group, which I don't see a way to if I build the browse on just the parent table.

I've thought about reversing the parent-child relationship, as discussed here before, but that wouldn't appear to help.

I'm sure this must be possible but am clueless. Help?

RE: How to: Table browse based on related set?

Blake,

I tried to go to the thread, but got this response:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time exceeded in ./abstract.php3 on line 163

Which I think means that it took too long to get there but it really wasn't an abnormal amount of time.

What do you mand my: >>I have a table to browse>and I want to be able to filter this browse based on a related set, or perhaps just browse the set
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Blake,

If your set is the foundation for a saved browse layout, then you will always have as many occurrences of each parent table record as that record has linked children. In the set, each row in such a browse represents a virtual or composite record consisting of the parent table fields, and the linked child table fields.

Most would approach this a bit differently.

Create a form layout, not a browse layout.
      Base it on the set.
      Drop fields on the form, but only fields from the parent table.
      Drop a browse object on the form, link it to the child table, and specify 'embedded'.

Now your user will see only one parent table record, but the fields for that record will be on the form, and not in a browse.

Now your child table fields are displayed in the embedded browse object.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks, Tom.

I know a form can be done that way, but you only see one parent record at a time with that. I want a browse. Now, I don't actually need to see any data from the child: the child data isn't really that important, except as it's used to fitler.

Comment

Is this an embedded browse based on a table or a set?

No, it's a browse on a form. It's not a child browse. That's easy enough. It's a parent browse (optionally) filtered by child criteria

You can use any criteria to filter the browse or form on which the browse is built.

I don't see how to filter a browse based on criteria from a set you're not using in that browse. That's why I asked.

Sorry, but I'm confused on points 1, 2, and 3

I'll try to be clearer.

-> When designing a set, I have two basic applicable options: Show only those records with a child; show all records, child or no. The problems with this are that I only ever want to show a parent record once (if no child filter is being used, or if it qualifies for the child filter) or not at all (if the parent record does not qualify). This apparent limitation makes a set impractical for this purpose. It's understandable in the sense that a one-to-many browse is going to naturally show more than one parent record. I believe this means I must dismiss using a set as a possibility.

--> Clearly, then, I need to design a browse just on the parent table, and yet find some way to filter the table based on the values in another table. I don't see how to do this, but I suspect it involves creating a list of (unique)IDs from my child table. In fact, I'm sure I could do it if I dynamically populated a table based on the current request, but that seems like the long way 'round.

I hope that clarifies.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Blake,

If you put the set itself in the browse object I do not believe you can restrict the display of primary table records to show only one instance of each primary table record. You will get x entriesif the primary table record is linked to x children. This is how I understand sets work in Alpha Five.

You could, however, use a browse based on the primary table, alone, and could popup another form to show related child table records using the OnRowDblClick event of the browse, if that's what you're looking for.

-- tom

Comment

When you say you want a browse, are you talking about a brows created in the browse tab of the CP or an embedded browse on a form?

>>the child data isn't really that important, except as it's used to filter.
              TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

You should be able to do this without a set.Let's say your membership table has an index tag like:
                pgroup = client_no + group_no

you could filter on the expression:
                exist(client_no + var->vgroup,"membership.dbf","pgroup")

This should return a true condition if the parent is a member of the desired group in the variable.

Comment

If you put the set itself in the browse object I do not believe you can restrict the display of primary table records to show only one instance of each primary table record. You will get x entriesif the primary table record is linked to x children. This is how I understand sets work in Alpha Five.

I believe you are correct. Which leaves the option of browsing the parent table but filtering it externally.

You could, however, use a browse based on the primary table, alone, and could popup another form to show related child table records using the OnRowDblClick event of the browse, if that's what you're looking for.

It's not. I now at least can phrase this succinctly: I need to filter a table browse based on data in a related (but separate) table.

Thanks.

===Blake===

Comment

You should be able to do this without a set.Let's say your membership table has an index tag like:
                    pgroup = client_no + group_no

you could filter on the expression:
                    exist(client_no + var->vgroup,"membership.dbf","pgroup")

This should return a true condition if the parent is a member of the desired group in the variable.

I was talking with an old-time dBaser and he suggested something much like this (though with different syntax). This would definitely work for filtering on a single-group, yes!

Now, how to handle the situation where there's N groups active? I guess I could put =that= in a function, and loop through the desired groups.

Thank you very much! I think that oughtta work!

===Blake===

Comment

Blake,

You've probably already thought of this, but it would not be difficult to add a series of flag fields to each parent table record. When the new parent table record is entered all are set false. When a related entry is made to one of the group tables, the corresponding flag in the parent table could be raised. Your browse of the parent table could then use one or more filters to screen out entries that don't belong to one or more groups.

-- tom

Comment

Yeah, I thought of various schemes to put the data or tip-off data in the parent field. Not that one, exactly, but I thought of using a character string that was basically a list of the group IDs the contact was in. But any scheme like this gets really messy since the user can customize the groups freely.

It's also not very "R" and while I'm not an R-zealot, this is a situation where it really makes sense: any kind of array-based scheme is going to mean more programming and more fragile data.

Comment

Working...
                        X