Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sudden Growth of .FPT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudden Growth of .FPT

I have encountered an issue which puzzles me. I run a small application with about 1000 records. When I went to back it up I found that the tv.fpt file had suddenly grown to 200+Mb.

I believe that the fpt is to do with the memo field. I have only made one entry since the last back-up. I have copied the earlier very small file and carried on.

Is there a known problem? I was using the penultimate build 1385.

Rev Peter Lear

RE: Sudden Growth of .FPT

Peter,

I haven't heard of a specific problem of the sort you describe, lately. Folks run into it when the memo file becomes corrupted. You'll find several threads on this over in the Vers. 4 forum.

Anyone using memo fields should be familiar with Dr. Wayne's recommendations. These fields require special care and handling, since the contents are stored in the separate FPT file. See, 'Memos and Browses That Work' at www.learn alpha.com.

-- tom

Comment

Peter this issue has been raised before and I had hoped that memo fields were less susceptible to this problem now. I think if you search the forums for "memo fields" you will find much discussion and also if you take a look on Peter Waynes website which I think is www.learn alpha.com you will find some very sound advice on the use of memo fields. If you search the forums you will also find some scripts that allow you to recover corrupted memo files. One thing we are trying now in version 5 is to have all memo fields on forms flagged as disabled (set in the properties tab for the field) and to have a button using one of the new action scripting options which comes under the heading of "fields" in the left hand pane and "inspect the contents of a memo field" in the right hand pane. This forces the user to open the memo field in its pop up window and more importantly to force it to be correctly saved before moving on.
      Hope this helps.
      Bob Whitaker
      Bob Whitaker

Comment

Thanks - I shall have a look as suggested

Regards

Peter

-- Pray for peace

Comment

I don't seem to be able to solve the problem. Probably my fault - usually is (or so the wife says!).

The .ftp file was so big I needed 2 CD roms to zip it to!

The rest of the app is attached.

If anyone knows what I am doing wrong I'd welcome your thoughts.

Rev Peter Lear

Comment

Peter,

I'm sorry to hear you're still dogged by this.

If you have not yet implemented Dr. Wayne's strategy, you should do so.

If that's more than you can handle (it is for many), then you might consider abandoning memo fields altogether, settling for a single large character type field, instead. I think the max size is 255 chars or some such.

It's also possible to build a child table that contains only two fields, a link field to the parent (primary) table of the set, and a 255 char type text field. A series of records could be added there each of which is limited to 255 chars. but all of which are linked to the primary table. This would give you the capability of seeing a series of notes, all of which are related to the current primary record. Depending on your application this may suffice, and will be more stable the using variable length memo fields that require special handling.

-- tom

Comment

I spent the morning trying to see if I do the Peter Wayne solution - but it is a bit much to a)wrap my elderly head round, and b) I think it would confuse the colleages who use the system.

I save every memo entry separately, and if you recall, I adapted your entry system (many grateful thanks) which means that the form can only be closed if all data is 'committed'.

I CAN use large character fields, of course. But surely the sophistication of A5v5 is such that this just should not happen.

I have used the XBasic book, and written a button and script to save a text file with all the entries in there - and I have 'improved' it to date stamp each version.

I then examined the tv.ftp 59Mb file with a dos file viewer. The entries I had put into the memo fields were there, but so were text fragments of various xbasic scripts mixed in, and also a lot of 'machine code' binary stuff which was not legible. So something is writing A5 operating instructions into the ftp file - and I reckon that the file grows because this 'leakage' keeps on happening.

Rev Peter Lear

Comment

Peter
                I tried to open your attached application but am not able to as it cannot find the memo file.

Rick T

Comment

Peter,

While perseverance in the face of adversity is often a noble trait, I have found that my head often stops hurting once I stop pounding it against the same wall.

-- tom

Comment

Peter,

For what it's worth, I used to have many problems with memo fields in Alpha Four dos. I found that whenever I add information to a memo it MUST be in change mode. Putting the record in change mode eliminated all problems that I had with memo's.

Mike
                    Thank you,
                    Mike Konoff

Comment

Rats - as i said the file filled more than one CD when zipped up, so I sent it without the ftp file. I had assumed that the rest of the app could work without it. Blast - and other unchurchmanlike expressions. Now what do I do?

I could forward an earlier copy before the problem arose, but that would not help, I guess.

Perhaps I should send the whole thing to Selwyn in the mail.

Peter

Comment

I too have this problem of the inflating FPT file. Sometimes when I do a database compact the FPT file swells to over 1 GB and another file .$$M appears and is over 1 GB as well.
                        Still looking for what is causing the problem before I can work out a solution.

Comment

Just a note. This has happened to me too. It rendered my memo fields useless.

Comment

usually when this happens you have one or two corrupted records in your memo file. you can recover virtually the entire file, with the exception of the corrupted records, by:

1) duplicating the structure of the table in another, empty table
                            2) appending records, some at a time, from the old table to the new table until you discover which record is corrupted. e.g. if you have 1000 records total, try copying the first 500. if that works successfully, you know the error is in the second 500 records. then copy records from 500-750. if that fails, you know the corruption is in that range. you can keep narrowing it down--as long as you cut the table in half each time, it shouldn't take very long to find the bad record (no more than 10 tries with 1000 records, since 2**10=1024).
                            3) once you have discovered which memo is corrupted, append every record except that one to a fresh table.

Comment

Working...
                            X