Alpha Video Training

Thread: moving from a4v6 to a5v5 date memo

Robin Michael

Default moving from a4v6 to a5v5 date memo

In moving from A4v6 my old functions that I made do not work. Any help is most appreciated.

I have 2 date fields - one that is filled on start of a new record and then cannot be changed; a second that is updated everytime that the record is edited. My old system supported this but I am lost as how to do this in A5v5 in the field rules.

Also in the A4v6 system I use a memo filed to combine the following into a standard address label for cut and past. This is required since I have a number of people that use this database to fill in letter heads who do not know much about anything but typing. These are people who work part time on one machine I have setup for this purpose.

= space between fields.
    =====================================
    First Last
    Address
    City, State Zip-Plus
    =====================================
    Each is a seperate field including the Plus since I use the zipcode database to update the city and state.

How do I make these work using field rules or what ever. These must work in the background with no user intervention. If the address could be converted to a field then how would that be accomplished so that the formatting is not lost?

Thanks

Robin

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    William Hanigsberg

Default RE: moving from a4v6 to a5v5 date memo

Robin,

Question 1.
    In field rules attach code to the table's on_save event to set the 2nd date field to today's date. You will be able to do this using action scripting.

Question 2.
    This is also going to be simple but I don't know precisely what you mean by the term "letterhead". Do you want to send the same letter to multiple recipients? If so define the letter in a layout and place the fields on the letter layout as you have shown them. You will probably have to use a rich text object.

If you want something else write back with details.

Bill

Robin Michael

By letterhead I mean that I need to cut this from the database and paste it into another program IE: FED-EX. I am trying to avoid dup keying for part time workers.

Since I have never done scripts, I do not follow what your are saying in creating a script. SO since I am totally new to the V5 I guess I need some additional help.

Robin

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    William Hanigsberg

Robin,

>>By letterhead I mean that I need to cut this from the database and paste it into another program IE: FED-EX. I am trying to avoid dup keying for part time workers.

Say you have a table with fields for firstname, lastname, etc. YOu can write a very easy series of commands to shove this information directly (appropriately formatted) into the clipboard. You can attach this code to a button for example. Then, your user can press the button, open the second program and paste the data wherever desired.

As for further assistance, if you post your application, there are many who will pitch in. (I'm assuming you are not looking to hire someone.) Tell me your field names and the format you want to paste into and I'll write your code for you if you want.

Regarding the field rule code, here is is:

Assuming your date field is named "revised_on" the on save code would be

revised_on = date()

That way, whenever the record is changed and resaved the value of revised_on will be updated to the current date.

I recommend you download and read the "Getting Started with Alpha 5" and "Introduction to Action Scripting" books. Some people learn Alpha5 by trial and error but reading the documentation is faster.

Bill

Robin Michael

Thank you for your help. I downloaded the manuals you suggested and will review.

One last question

One time date enter on new record.

Field is date_start

Need to get the system date one time and never update.

Thank you again.

Robin

Alpha Software Employee Selwyn Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Selwyn Rabins

if you want to set a date field when a record is first created define a default value field rule for the field.

set the expression to : date()

set the skip rule for the field to: .t. so that the value can never be changed.

for the second date field, make that a calc field with the expression: date(). every time the record is edited, this field will be updated.

don't understand the second question.