Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

ALPHA SUGGESTIONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALPHA SUGGESTIONS

For the next version of Alpha.

1) It would be nice if you could add a description field just like in Alpha4, were when one goes to select an index the description field comes up instead of the index name, or the option of setting it to one or the other.

2) It would also be a good idea if one had the choice to mark which indexes a user can select from within a form or browse. This would help for the reason that Alpha5 creates many other indexes for lookups and are not necessary for the user to see them, and it can also cause confusion and problems for the end user.

3) I don�t know if this is possible, but, Alpha5 is used in many offices, by people who have no idea what modal or modeless is, and it is very easy to change data without knowing you did, and that a problem. If Alpha5 could be made to function like the DOS version, were one had to confirm everything, from change to save, that would be great. I know that one could do most of that with scripts, but somehow its not the same, and unless you are really good at it, you always miss something.

4) In the DOS version, one could see all the system variables, I found that very helpful in learning how Alpha functioned, and helped me a lot. They do not necessarily have to be used by the user, just viewed.

5) A range and filter genie that walks you through the steps as to where or where not to put quotes or operator signs. Again only if it's possible.

6) A description field in table structure, to always remind one as to why that field was created for, just like in MS ACCESS.

7) As far as help goes. I thinks it would be a great idea to be able to right click on anything, whether it�s a function, a tool or a method in xbasic explorer, and been able to get help on that specific items, and also see some examples.

Just suggestions, I don�t know if any are possible.

Thanks
    Robert

RE: ALPHA SUGGESTIONS

Robert,

I'm not familiar with Access's implementation, but you can add descriptive text for each field in your table using field rules in Alpha Five. You can include both a default descriptive name, and a field description. -- tom

Comment

Hi Tom

How are you?

I Access, you add the description right next to the field when you create the table, therefore every time you go to restructure the table its right nest to it and it makes it easier to work with it. I think it also prints right next to it in the documentation.

By the way, I solved the filter problem, with some help from some people on the Alpha site.

Thanks
      Robert

Comment

Robert,

The Foxpro format used in DBF tables is primarily based on an older dBase standard, neither permits descriptive information about each field to be stored IN the table itself.

-- tom

Comment

Alpha already has a setting where you can make the database modal or modeless. In addition, you can easily place a button on any form, which gives the user the ability to click on that button see and/or select all indexes currently defined. It cannot get any easier.

In fact, I think Alpha has most of the capabilities you requested already built in. The problem is you're not familiar with all of the functionality that is available. So before making suggestions, maybe you should first ask if the features you are seeking currently exist. Then explore Alpha Five to see how things are done before making suggestions. .

More importantly, as former Access user, may I suggest you focus solely upon learning Alpha Five versus trying to get A5 to mimic Access. I know it's only human nature to expect another application to work and act like your old one. However, I also think that is a big mistake.

You should instead explore and open up your mind to a whole new way of doing things. Although the Access - Alpha Five paradigms are very similar, you will find that A5 is much easier to set up and use, far more efficient, and does many things Access hasn't yet discovered.

In other words, it appears to me that your current priorities are backwards. Instead of trying to use A5 in the same manner that you used Access, may I suggest that you try to discover new methods that will probably be far easier and will enhance your level of efficiency. Otherwise, you may as well go back to Access.

Robert T.

Comment

Robert

I have been using Alpha since the second DOS version, so I am very familiar with Alpha.

As far as the indexes are concerned. Alpha for Windows has had some problems with truncation for some time, in fact it still truncates many of the indexes on my database, and I have tried everything in my power but from time to time it still happens. Therefore I am forced to use Index names shorter then 10-characters. I use many similar indexes, and without a decent description it is difficult to remember what they are, especially when someone who is not familiar with it has to use it. I have designed a different way of displaying them, but it would be nice if it was available like in the DOS version, it would save lots of work.

As far as Modal or Modeless, it is not quite like the DOS version. I the DOS version, if you entered a new record or Changed one, it would ask for a save confirmation before you could go on. In the Windows version that does not happen. You can set to be warned from the CanSaveRecord event, but that does have its draw backs, cause if you cancel you loose the record. On the other hand, if you use The CanSaveForm event you are out of luck with the browses in the form. I am sure that there is a way to work around everything in Alpha, but if something could be made easier through some default settings, I don�t see the disadvantage, I only see positives for the user and for Alpha, after all most users are not experts.

As far as Alpha vs Access goes, I think Alpha is far superior to Access, however, I don�t seen anything wrong offering options that other programs offer, if its possible and advantageous for the end user and the company.

Finally, I think that everybody should be encouraged to give suggestions and ideas for future versions. The people at Alpha are pretty creative with new ideas, but nobody is that smart not to need suggestions.

As far as I am concerned what I have suggested are good ideas. I don�t expect everybody to agree with them, just as I don�t expect anybody else to expect me to agree with them, but one thing I am sure of is, that out of many suggestions, some good ideas do develop.

So I encourage users to suggest. Not all suggestions are great, but some unquestionably are.

Robert

Comment

A5Doc provides an option to show both the default descriptive name and field description for each field on the structure report it prints (need to download build 85).

I know this does not provide the info when you are in a5's table restructure mode.

Bill.

Comment

Hi Robert:

I am all for open and honest discussions on this board. That includes criticism when it's appropriate and/or suggestions for improving the program when it�s needed. I am the last person who would ever want to stifle that kind of valuable input from Alpha�s customers. My comments were not intended to, in any way, stifle user suggestions for a the development of a better product or eliminate honest criticism of Alpha Five.

Having said that, I read your message and many of the features you suggested for a future release, actually exist in version 5 right now. It was my impression that you were not aware of the current functionality already built into the product. How can you put forth several allegedly new suggestions for features that already exist in Alpha Five?

You also gave the impression that your area of expertise is weighted far more heavily towards A4 [for DOS] and Access. It was in that context that I suggested you spend a lot more time learning about the features and functionality of the latest incarnation of A5 and then I�ll be the first person to welcome your suggestions and criticism.

Robert

Comment

Robert

Having spent time on all three, I by far think that Alpha 5 has many more advantages over the DOS version, but any improvements that can be made, if possible, is actually a great thing. While I find most of the Windows features far better, I think there are some of the DOS features that in my opinion were better.

I don�t know if the can be incorporated in the Windows version, but if they could, I think it would be great.

I am not criticizing Alpha, I am simply suggesting. I think they are making a great effort at developing a new and revolutionary database system. However let's not forget the majority of consumers are not experts.

I am aware that virtually all the things I suggested already exist, but maybe I did not make myself very clear. My suggestion was to make them easier for the end user.

Also, I am very surprised that you did not find any of my suggestions to make any sense.

I think that right clicking on a method or property on the xbasic explorer for help makes good sense.

The index idea was not so bad, one does not have to see the indexes created by field rules and lookups when selecting one, and the long description field is not bad either.

Viewing system variables makes you more aware of how Alpha is working in the background.

I did not post these suggestions for everybody to agree with me, I just thought it was a good idea. I don�t even know if the people at Alpha care to read them or viceversa.

Robert, I am not taking it personally. I appreciate your comments and suggestion, that�s what this site is all about, and I mean that.

Thanks
                  Robert

Comment

I too wish that Alpha allowed field descriptions to appear next to the field name in the restructure window. Similarly, it would be great if descriptive comments were allowed next to indicies & calc fields in their respective windows. I know Alpha is tied to the dbf paradigm, however I remember a long time ago one of the most knowledgable Alpha users on this board saying that dbf files could not be encrypted - yet Alpha was able to overcome that hurdle. So......

Peter
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I found Robert Carolina's "suggestions" to be very appropriate. Many folks are not aware that some already exist. At least it brought the subjects to light.

A suggestion for Robert Tishkevich, how about explaining and helping others to find the answers. Save this type of criticizm for something worth while.

kenn
                      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hello Ken:

You and I certainly disagree and that's OK. Maybe my criticism was a little harsh, but I still believe one should spend some time learning about a program before posting a list of suggestions on how you think it can be improved.

If there were an equivalent Access discussion group, you could bet a lot of money I wouldn't go on their site with a list of suggestions telling the developers what Access needs until I've worked with the program a long time and was very familiar with the Paradigm.

One of the reasons this discussion board is so fabulous is the fact that we have the opportunity to ask questions, criticize, and make suggestions. As I said earlier, I am in no way trying to discourage that type of input or stifle anyone�s opinion. However, before firing off a long list of suggestions on what Alpha Five needs, I think users should wait until they�ve at least spent some serious time working with and learning about the application

Robert

Comment

Robert

A couple comments on the truncated index name issue. There are a number of things you can do to reduce the problem or perhaps eliminate it. The issue again goes back to the limitations of the dbf format which only allows 10 characters. Alpha stores the long names in the table data dictionary. If the link between the data dictionary list and the actual index names is lost, you will only get the short name. The trick is the reduce the possibility of this happening. The data in the data dictionary is saved in a memo file format, so everything done to reduce memo field problems in a table also work here.

One very good idea is to never name two indexes with the same first 8 or 9 letters. Since the actual short name is the first 8 or 9 letters plus a number code, it seems the link can get mixed easily if two indexes are the same with the exception of the number code. It shouldn't but shouldn't doesn't mean never. Another idea is to never use spaces in the name, use underlines instead. Compacting frequently during design activities is also very important to remove unneeded deleted code which clutters the data dictionary. If you use long names, always add an index at the bottom of the list. If you must reorder the index list, move one at a time, save the change, compact, and move another. If you must delete an index, it should always be the last one listed.

These ideas may seem a little extreme, but since following these rules, I have never lost a long name. However, I rarely, if ever, use long names anyway. Instead, I have a dedicated table which stores long descriptive names as well as the short name for every index. I use this table to develop index name lists, etc. A bit of a pain, but it does have some big advantages, since I can also code each entry so the user only sees the indexes I want them to see.

Jerry

Comment

Hi Robert,

I usually like to just read, but onces in awhile I do step in and voice my opinion. My .02 to your questions.

1) It would be nice if you could add a description field just like in Alpha4, were when one goes to select an index the description field comes up instead of the index name, or the option of setting it to one or the other.

2.) It would also be a good idea if one had the choice to mark which indexes a user can select from within a form or browse. This would help for the reason that Alpha5 creates many other indexes for lookups and are not necessary for the user to see them, and it can also cause confusion and problems for the end user.

Both Q1&2
                            >> I could not agree more with you on this issue. This is one of the reasons I stopped using Alpha as my primary tool, some time ago, although I think it's an excellent product for beginners, but I need absolute control of my environment and this is not easily done in Alpha 5. In Alpha 4 (DOS) when someone hit the index key, it displayed a dialogue box showing only the indexes that I wanted people to see and choose, perhaps you can do this in Alpha 5 by capturing the Index key and show an Xdialog box only showing your indexes, but I agree 100 percent, showed the index descriptions, not the names. Make it look professional.

3) I don�t know if this is possible, but, Alpha5 is used in many offices, by people who have no idea what modal or modeless is, and it is very easy to change data without knowing you did, and that a problem. If Alpha5 could be made to function like the DOS version, were one had to confirm everything, from change to save, that would be great. I know that one could do most of that with scripts, but somehow its not the same, and unless you are really good at it, you always miss something.

>> This can be done in code. This could be made even easier if Alpha would support events at the table level. Example, before post event, after post event, before cancel event, before insert, after insert etc. Alpha falls very short on this issue, hopefully now with the introduction of ADO (next version) they will expand on their events. To further illustrate this using your example, if Alpha had a before post event at the table level, you could enter a line of code that would display a dialog box confirming savings of the record when a user post the record.

4) In the DOS version, one could see all the system variables, I found that very helpful in learning how Alpha functioned, and helped me a lot. They do not necessarily have to be used by the user, just viewed.

>> I will leave this one for the more advance XBasic users, but I believe you should be able to round up an array of variables and displayed them. Perhaps Peter can jump on this one. Remember in Alpha 4 all the variables were global.

5) A range and filter genie that walks you through the steps as to where or where not to put quotes or operator signs. Again only if it's possible.

>> Can not help you with this one, I'm so pampered with the Delphi compiler that helps me every step of the way.

6) A description field in table structure, to always remind one as to why that field was created for, just like in MS ACCESS.

>> this is a limit of the DBF table structure that Alpha uses. Access uses a newer table structure which gives it more benefits over the DBF Format. Ex: True Key Fields, long description names at the table level, etc..

7) As far as help goes. I thinks it would be a great idea to be able to right click on anything, whether it�s a function, a tool or a method in xbasic explorer, and been able to get help on that specific items, and also see some examples.

>> Again, I'm so pampered with the Delphi compiler and it would not be fair to compare a $3,000.00 program to a $300.00 program, but I want to take this a bit further, it might be a good idea for Alpha to release a better programming environment geared more from a programmer point of view as an add-on. This will seriously boost Alpha efforts in trying to recruit some immediate and higher tier programmers to their side, but at the same time, people should not bark if they do this and then acks to be compensated for their efforts, how much would you pay for better programming environment as an add-on?

Robert, I hope this helps,
                            RF-ARS Motorola

Comment

>>I think users should wait until they�ve at least spent some serious time working with and learning about the application
                              TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Working...
                              X