Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

ALPHA SUGGESTIONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: ALPHA SUGGESTIONS

Ray you say Alpha Five Version 5 is...only a $300 programme...it is in fact $349
    To have unlimited users/sites like Delphi cost a new A5V5 developer like me...another $1599...totalling almost $2000 as an initial investment.
    I think A5V5 is well worth that investment

Comment

I doubt Ray will argue the point. It's just that Delph can do more than Alpha, things that Ray needs that Alpha doesn't offer. (I believe Selwyn will say that as well). If it did, I doubt $2000 would buy it.

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hi Ken:

Obviously I didn't do a very good job of explaining my reasoning or possibly you misunderstood what I was saying, so let me try again.

One of the beautiful aspects of this discussion board is the fact that beginners, intermediate users, and advanced users all co-exist in a polite, friendly, environment. Everyone is free to ask any type of question related to Alpha Five. I think that's great and it makes this a very special place to hang out.

If I were trying to restrict someone�s opportunity or right to ask questions about A5, I would completely agree with your comments. However, that is not the case Ken, I would never try to prevent someone from asking any reasonable question.

Since I�m not talking about placing restrictions on asking questions, what am I talking about? I was referring specifically to a beginner, who obviously is not yet very familiar with Alpha Five, coming up with a list of suggestions for changes to the program. I don�t think someone should get on a public forum with his or her list of suggestions until they�ve used the program long enough to be familiar with the available features and functionality. How can one come up with an intelligent list of suggestions if you are still learning what is and is not part of the program?

Let me make this very clear Ken, this is not about censorship or in any way restricting one�s right to ask questions. In light of that, I don�t understand why you are so upset with me.

Robert

Comment

Hi Tony,

I was comparing program to program, not options to options. The runtime is an option. If that's that case then compare my Delphi C/S program with options ($6,000.00) to Alpha's ($2000) with options.

The purpose was that it's unfair to compare a program like Delphi to Alpha, but that's not the main point here. Alpha by far is the best program out there for somebody getting into the database world without having to hire programmers, but it's still behind the times and still has a way to catch up and people should not be discourage when voicing their suggestions to try to improve the program.

Respectfully,
          RF-ARS-Motorola

Comment

Robert,

I think you're missing the point. Your comment at least to me, if I were in the catagory you describe, (ha, maybe I am) would "dampen" my interest. New persons on the board could be easily intimidated.

Additionally, why should someone have to reach a certain level to qualify to the rank of "Suggester"? My point is, even you could make a suggestion to include a feature that is already present. But then perhaps you know all there is to know about v5?

FWIW, Carolina made some suggestions I thought were pretty valid. (See Ray's comments)

Hey, 6 comes early.

kenn
            TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Hi Robert(Tishkevich),

Comment

Hi Ken:

Actually he made those comments about the truncated indexes AFTER I sent my response. So that valid comment was not a factor when I responded to his initial, rather lengthy list of suggestions.

I think you and I can agree to disagree. And I still don't understand why you think I'm coming off as a "Know it All". That definitely is not the issue because I can say with 100% certainly there is a great deal about Alpha Five that I have yet to learn and may never learn.

Ken, I never said anyone has to have a certain level of expertise before asking questions on this terrific discussion board. You keep implying that about me but it isn�t true and I don�t understand why you interpreted my comments in that manner.

I think making one or two suggestions along the way is a good idea. However, I personally take issue with posting a long list of suggestions for improving Alpha Five when the person making those suggestions hasn�t even used it long to realize many of his suggestions may already be part and parcel of the program.

Ken, this has nothing to do with trying to stifle creativity or limit suggestions only to long time users. It's all about common sense. Before posting a series of suggestions on a how a program can be improved, I think you should, at the very least, take some time to learn the basic features and functionality of the program, then give us your suggestions.

Think about your job. If you worked at job for a number of years and a new employee came along who made a number of suggestions in his first month as to how and why things should change, what would you think? Since I don't think like you, maybe I shouldn't make any assumptions. But I know my reaction would be something such as, why don't you wait until you've learned a little more about the job and how the operation works before giving every one your list of suggested changes?

Obviously you disagree with me so we're beating a dead horse.

Have a good day tomorrow,
                Robert

Comment

Robert

>>How can one come up with an intelligent list of suggestions if you are still learning what is and is not part of the program?

You are not suggesting that my suggestions were not intelligent? Cause if you are you seem to be the only one.

Keep in mind that suggestions are just ideas, a consideration, and nothing more. It is not unintelligent or ignorant.

When I posted my suggestions, my intentions were to give ideas that would make Alpha a better system and that all.

Also if I may, your criticism was a little harsh, and I think you have a very poor choice of words. But then again that's only my opinion, and you have the right to disagree.

I thank those who agree with me and those who don�t.
                  Robert

Comment

I accept your comments Ray.
                    What Web Server Software are you using?

Comment

Jerry

I thank you for the info.

I have already made all the index names 10 or less characters, that�s why I suggested the descriptive field.

Some of your suggestions I already use, but its good to know the others, such as deleting the last etch.

Thanks
                      Robert

Comment

Frankly, if someone suggested things about my program or my job that were already features of it, I would take that as a compliment, and then I would proudly educate them about these things.

I really think that noone should ever have to feel that any comment or suggestion would ever be considered silly, ignorant, not informed, dumb, or you name it.

I do think that this is the best message board around and will remain that way. I have been helped by both Robert and Kenn on numerous occasions, and by many others (and I do my best to help others whenever I can). I think the point of all this is one must feel free to ask or suggest anything they ever want. If someone suggests something that reflects something they are not familiar with, we shouldn't get defensive. We should take that as an opportunity to educate them, and to show them how wonderful and complete v5 really is.

Gary Traub
                        Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Here! Here!

Comment

Hello Robert:

[You are not suggesting that my suggestions were not intelligent? Cause if you are you seem to be the only one.]

The comment about intelligence was a generic one, it wasn't specific to you and/or your suggestions.

As for how many people agree or disagree with me, it really doesn't matter because I am not keeping score. I stand behind my comments and the fact that Ken and one other person disagreed with me doesn�t change that.

Robert, this is getting old, I really didn�t want to belabor the point which I made several times in this thread. However, I feel bad because I probably was a little too harsh with my criticism and I apologize to you for that.

My argument was not intended to be taken personally or to offend you in any way. And I was very glad to see you took them in that light. I appreciated your comments earlier in this thread and as far as I ass concerned, that was the end of this discussion.

The only reason I continued to participate the fact that Ken N. accused me of trying to play the role of censor and decide what is and isn't said in this forum. In essence he was "distorting my position" and I didn't like that.

Ken argued that everyone should be free to ask any and all questions about Alpha Five. I agree 100% with that comment and it's one of the reasons this discussion board is so very special. Ken accused me of trying to sabotage that key concept on this board and that was not true so I felt compelled to explain and justify my comments

There is a huge difference between asking questions and making suggestions. That's where I think Ken misunderstood where I was coming from.. If you had instead initially framed those 7 suggestions as questions coming from a newcomer to A5, I would have not said a word.

But as a newcomer, you made a series of suggestions outlining what you think belongs in A5. You thought Alpha Five was missing key features that exist in the DOS product [A4] and/or in Access. I think that was the part that rubbed me the wrong way for two reasons. And those two reasons were the fact that many of your requests for new features actually exist in the product. I don't think you would have done that if you were more familiar with the feature set and functionality of A5.

And secondly, Ken himself told others, who have made similar comments about the transition from Access to A5, to stop thinking in an Access mode of thought, and open up to the Alpha Five paradigm. I didn't take Ken�s comment as the almighty telling people how to think, it was a good suggestion because it helps one adapt to and learn how to think within the Alpha Five paradigm. I hope this makes sense.

Robert

Comment

Tony,

We use IIS5. It's has been very good for us. Easy to setup and run.

RF-ARS-Motorola

Comment

Ray,

I'm not certain it's the same thing you're talking about when you refer to table level event 'hooks', but field rules are defined at the table level, and there are hooks there on various table level 'events'. It's possible to define rules which fire scripts at the field level, and also for record level events in the table. This could be easily used to popup a 'Do you really want to save this record?' dialog for the user regardless of which form or browse might be open at the time.

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                                X