Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Action scripting for new record in Child Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Action scripting for new record in Child Datab

You must be using something other than the latest patch. I get the same behavior regardless of whether the button is on the TAB or on the main form. It will not create a new child record with the link field completed. I can create a new record in the form but the form has no link field value. I can create a record in the embedded browse but that does me no good as I want the form.

Comment

I goofed, I forgot to switch the new record and the form. Open the OnPush and highlight new reord. Click the sissor (cut) and cut it. then click paste and paste it back. Now it will work. But I get the error message at the end.

Uising build 1027

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

You need to change your linking fields form numeric to character. Numeric should ONLY be used whey doing math, etc. Numers used as an ID number should be character fields.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I am using build 1389. The latest. I think some major bugs have been added in the last 2 patches.

Comment

But how do you auto-increment on an alpha field?. I have other databases written using Alpha 5 V4.5 with numeric linking fields and they do not have any problems. Is this another change and incompatability introduced in version 5?

Comment

You need to remove the auto increment from the Milestone_no field in the Milestone table. Set it to user entered and the Skip rule in the data entry tab to .t.

The way you have it now, you're linking fields are competing with each other and A5 doesn't know who's on first. Notice how the linking number is not showing in the milestone form when a new record is entered.

kenn

Comment

The linking field is the task number not the milestone number.

Comment

No, not a change. Even in v4.5 you should not use numeric. Whil it wil work it can run into ptoblems. Can't be specific but those who I would classify as experts follow this philisophy.

kenn

Comment

We're using the same build. Bugs? Possibly but in your case, I thing there some other issues to work through before calling it a bug. I have the same situation in my app and I don't get the error message.

kenn

Comment

Michael,

In the few minutes available this morning I created an Action Script which:

- opens a hidden form on the 1:N child table
                      - stores the current link field value in a variable
                      - begins a new record in the hidden form

Then I got stuck. Could not find a specific action scripting command to pass the link field value to the key field in the new child table record that's pending in the hidden form. The commands which are available to 'set' object's text or value properties were my first choice, but they are limited, strangely, to the current form, and do not permit me to pick the called form or any of its objects.

There are two work arounds to this:

a) insert an Inline Xbasic statement to write the link field value to the key field of the new child table record; or

b) take a different approach. Declare a global var in the called form, and insert a script into the OnEnter event of that form. This script would look for the global var and use it to populate the key field of each new record entered through the form. Then, back on the original set based form (the calling form) use the button's OnPush event to :
                      - assign the current link field value to the same global var
                      - open the hidden called form
                      - begin the new record there (when this occurs, the key field should populate itself using the value you stored in the global var)
                      - finally show the hidden called form.

-- tom

Comment

I think that this shows that what we need and what every user who jumps from spreadsheets to Alpha5, is a simple action scripting command to Create linked child record using a specified form,

Comment

I think you need to look at zoom to form in action scripting. This will do what you want and fill in the linking field.

Russ

Comment

Russ, I see 'zoom to record' but that won't work here. Where do I look for 'zoom to form' ?

-- tom

Comment

Tom,
                              The initial question was about adding a record from an embedded browse. In this case zoom will work(ondoubleclick event). If you are on a form, then you are correct, it is zoom to record and this is only for the current record.
                              From a form, to add a record using action scripting you have to save the key value to a variable, open a (nonzoom) form, enter record, place the variable and go merrily on your way.

Russ

Comment

Russ, sorry. I read the initial question the other way round. No big deal, just didn't want to miss an easy way to open a second form and do the data entry there, without having to worry about dropping or fouling the link field value.

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                                X