Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Eye chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye chart

I am interested in making an electronic eye chart for work. I am an optometrist. There are some commercial solutions available, but very pricey. I think it should possible to make a program using a5 to display letters and pictures on an 17" lcd screen. I need to display letters in reverse so that they can be seen correctly in a mirror. I would like to be able to resize all the letters at once to calibrate for different room lengths. I am new to a5, but have used a4 for some time. Is this doable? Should I recruit someon to do it for me? or try on my own?

thanks in advance
    Jim

RE: Eye chart

I can't think of a reason why you can't do everything needed for the application, except for producing reversed letters. This doesn't mean it can't be done with the tools available in Alpha Five, I just don't if you can create a font within Alpha Five. It seems like reversed letters would be a font. My guess is creating the letters that need to be reversed in a graphics package, then adding them as special characters that can then be retieved using xbasic would solve this.

Comment

Just one more thing as I think of it. You can consider the reversed characters, instead of a font, as pictures that can be displayed, like any other. Maybe they can first be photographed in their reversed state, then added to your graphic library like any other jpg, tif, or whatever.

Comment

Hey Jeff, do you think he would be able to use substr to reverse the letters? I know I'd struggle with the actual expression, but I have a hunch that it would work. I'm thinking that you could use substr to get the last letter and place it in the first position, etc.

Just trying to think outside the box.
        Wanda

PS - James, could you use two mirrors, instead of one?

Comment

Good thought. Smaller exam rooms, 12 ft. or so, use to mirrors to "lengthten" the room. My room is about 16 ft. If I use 2 mirrors the LCD would have to be pretty big to display larger letters, 17 " is all the larger I would like to go.

I think other systems use an image of the letters, but a font would be nice.

Comment

I had used a program called fontographer and desiged my own fonts You should be able to do the same pretty simply

Good Luck

Comment

Wanda,

Substr can certainly be used to reverse the letters in a word, but I was assuming the letters would be reversed themselves. Look at a word in a mirror. The letters are backwards. To me, those are different characters. It depends how this eye chart is being designed, but I was assuming that a mirror would reflect the image on the screen to make it normal to the patient. If that's the case, the letters on the screen need to be reversed. Of course, a two-mirror arrangement achieves the same thing starting from normal text on the screen.

Jeff

Comment

When you say there are commercial test types available are you thinking of Test Type 2000.
                I use this at my hospital clinic and it has Snellen, logmar,Landolt rings, cross cyls, contrast sensitivity - in fact everything you need for a refraction. I didn't think it was very expensive when you consider the price of an illuminated Test Type. You can calibrate the display for different room lengths( ideal for dom visits)and it can be direct or indirect.

Gil Smith
                UK.
                Gil Smith

Comment

Gil, I am not familiar with Test Type 2000. It sounds like it might be what I need. I want to use a mirror so that the exam room is longer (closer to 20+ ft.) Single mirror will degrade the image less also. 16 Ft is also a little long for normal 2 mirror system the projector has to be farther away to make the image big enough. I was thinking I could also use the monitor for informing and demonstrating eye conditions.

Where can I find out more about Test Type 2000?

I have 2 exam rooms so the cost would be double.

Comment

You could just scan an eye chart if the reversed letters are a problem and reverse them or shrink them in any graphics program. I'm not sure where A5 fits in all this. Seems like all you would need is a word processor to display it.

Ohlen Cartnell (a regular forum participant, and good guy)from up north does eye stuff he might have some ideas on this as he knows the lingo.

Russ

Comment

Russ, I suppose a word processor could be used... But not sure how easy it would be to present batteries of vision tests. I may send Ohlen an email. thanks

Comment

James,

I have a graphics program that will convert any letter or string of letters to a graphic which can be saved as a bmp file. You could then arrange the graphics in Alpha, size them for 20' and display. Knowing the exam distance, you could then adjust the size of the graphic for the distance. Notwithstanding Russ's good guy comment (for which I'm extremely grateful) I've not heard of the other device mentioned.

This weekend I'll make a few graphics of the standard Snellen chart and sent them to you to play with.

Ohlen

Comment

Thank you Ohlen,

I found an app online called Beeacuity. Not too expensive. But I don't care for the letter selection. Not sure if it can be customized. It was written with MS Access. I also found the Program Gil referred to, but it is a British program, not downloadable.

I may still play around with Alpha and see what happens. I would like to be able to calibrate the letters for different size rooms. Do you think that could be done easily in Alpha? What graphics programs are you using?

Comment

Doc,

This site explains how to make reverse letters

http://www.onescrappysite.com/fonts/reverse-word.htm

The url is for how to do it in word, but it also has
                            instructions for Print Artist and Publisher.

I tried to an actual font with an internet search, but no
                            luck.

regards,
                            Melvin

PS: If you find the above useful, I wear glasses. :)

Comment

I just did a lttle experiment.

After you reverse the Word Art in Word
                              You can copy and paste it into Paint
                              where it can be saved as a .jpg

So basicly, it may take a little work,
                              but you can make .jpgs based on various
                              sizes and then reference them in A5v5 memo fields
                              Hope that helps,

Melvin

Comment