Alpha Video Training

Thread: dbf's and memo's with 4.5 and 5.0

Heather Irons

Default dbf's and memo's with 4.5 and 5.0

Am thinking about working on converting my "Home Office" module to 5.0 from 4.5.

At the HomeOffice of the company, they have duplicates of each office - like Austin, Houston1, Houston2, etc.

Every night, PCAnywhere automatically gets data(*.dbf, *.fpt,) from each remote office and saves it to the local copy of that office.

The "Home Office" copy of the app, when a button is pushed, appends the dbfs and memos from each Office, so the "Home Office" has all the data in for summaries, etc.

My question is, is there any reason I cannot convert the "Home Office" module to version 5.0. I would not be changing any of the tables on the Offices from 5.0, only importing, but I would be working every day with new data freshly imported from 4.5 offices to the 5.0 HomeOffice.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Default RE: dbf's and memo's with 4.5 and 5.0

It sounds like something that shouldn't be a problem. HOWEVER, (1) the usual warning MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD BACKUP! and (2) this sounds like one of those situations that could become a problem...

If somewhere down the line you forget and try to copy the application (or part of it) from the v5 (home office) to the other apps, it probably won't work on v4.5 and you could be forced to upgrade, rebuild a few forms, or restore from a backup. Although upgrading probably won't upset Alpha, the problem is liable to upset your users until it gets resolved.