Alpha Video Training

Thread: unable to save edit

Mary Vitale

Default unable to save edit

After editing a field which is always edited after a first save, I am now (after years with no problem) getting the error message, "unable to add key to tag" after an extended wait while it tries.

I have checked everything I can think of and tried repeatedly. If I clear that field by deleting whatever is in it, then it saves fine. Twice, I was able to save the edit, but then could not when duplicating the edit exactly with another record! This is my invoicing database and the field I can't update is the date paid. All my bookkeeping is hinged on this data...taxes and all.

I have used MS Access and Excel, but that combo is nowhere as powerful as Alpha5. I started with Alpha4 & moved to Alpha5 with Ver 1, then 2 & finally 3. Cannot afford to upgrade again.

I am using Alpha5, Ver 3.04 with the update installed, my OS is Windows98se on a Pentium III with 256 meg memory and a new 120 gig hard drive (mostly empty).

Any help is appreciated.

Real Name
    Dave Jampole
    Haughton, LA ( just east of Shreveport, Louisiana)

Default RE: unable to save edit

Mary,

First of all, you probably get a better answer if you post this to the coirrect messageboard- Version 3. This is the Version 5 board.

Having said that, it sounds like you deleted the contents of a field designated as the key field in that table. Usually a key field needs to have content AND it needs to be unique since the key field in two different records cannot contain the same value.

Dave

Real Name
    Allen Klimeck

Default RE: unable to save edit

"unable to add key to tag" Means that your indexes are corrupt and need to be rebuilt.