Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Out of Windows memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of Windows memory

This relates to my plodding attempt to get through Dr Wayne's book "Application Programming..."
    On page 178 he askes the reader to add lines to a previously written script:

'Date Created: 29-Oct-2002 08:59:12 PM
    'Last Updated: 24-Dec-2002 03:26:56 PM
    'Created By : Steve Pick
    'Updated By : Steve Pick
    dim amt as n
    dim detail as p
    dim header as p 'PAGE 138
    dim old_amt as n 'page 142

on error goto cant_find_header
    header=table.get("mycheckbook")
    on error goto 0
    detail=table.get("mycheckdetail")
    '******** add in page178
    dim payee as p
    payee=table.open("payee",file_rw_

As soon as I try to type in "s" to complete the above line an Alpha Five error messages pops up to say:

Out of Windows memory

I closed down some programs, I was listening to music, and rebooted and it made no difference.

My son gave me 10 seconds of his valuable time to do something with the F drive which I didn't see while I blinked but I suspect he was extending memory to the F drive in some way, but that didn't work. His parting words were if that doesn't work, it is Alpha!

Any ideas where I might look?

Steve

PS I need to add W98 is the OS and after failing with the penultimate build I loaded the latest build and that didn't change things.

RE: Out of Windows memory

I may hav shed some light on the problem but I am not sure.
    in the line:

'*****

am I doing something wrong using the asterisk(s)?

Is this sequence of characters forboten?

I was trying to copy the whole script in the interactive window when it seems "detail" was not recognized.

Steve

Comment

Nope, not the asterisk!
      back to square one

Comment

This means you have too many characters for the window, place this into a script and you should not have any problem, Usually in the table calc fields and form events have this problem with space.

Comment

Steve,

Tell us where you're writing the script?

If you're in Action Scripting, editing an Inline Xbasic command statement you've reached the limit of the inline editor. Just convert the entire script to xbasic and continue editing. The inline xbasic editor is intended for small scripts, with few lines. Longer scripts 'run out of room' in the inline editor.

-- tom

Comment

Tom
            I had this happen with your basic data entry script. How do I just copy it to xbasic without using inline xbasic.

Merry Christmas

Jim

Comment

Jim,

Check the menus. Code / Convert Action Script to Xbasic. It converts the entire script, not just the inline xbasic portion.

-- tom

Comment

Tom,

I thought I was following Peters instructions.
                ie
                Go to Edit field rules, click events, click record events,
                pull down Onsaverecord.

I started editing in the window and had a problem with the error I described.

I tried using Opencode editor from that screen and got slightly further, ie I was able to enter a dozen characters or so before the error message popped up.

The script I am using is Xbasic as Peter defines.
                I changed the script to a single line:
                script_play("Script19_1")
                after successfully copying and then editing what I had to the CODE window and naming the script as indicated.

I haven't seen any rules limiting the size of a script as I was doing. Maybe it is a bug!

Steve.
                PS the script is listed on pages 178, 179 and 180 of Dr Wayne's book

Comment

This is not code for your script but merely to draw your attention to page 178.

******** add in page178

kenn
                  TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Also, I believe you're missing a close paren ...such as )... at the end of the line along with other code. I don't think a line of code will end with an underscore.

payee=table.open("payee",file_rw_

It should be:

payee=table.open("payee",file_rw_ more code here and then a closed )

Not sure but I can't imagine this will cause windows to run out of memory.

kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

It's not a bug. I haven't looked at the book but my guess is you haven't copied or typed the code exactly as it is in the book. See my posts above.

kenn

Comment

Ken,
                        Not sure what you mean.
                        It is easier to follow where I am in following Peter's scripts if I add the occasional
                        ' page nn.
                        In the case of my first message I wrote
                        Quotation asterisk asterisk etc. ie
                        '******
                        This shouldn't be a problem should it?
                        Putting a comment with the page number helps me to check back to Peter's book to make sure I haven't made a typo.

What sort of error would cause the windows error message when I am entering a script. I AM NOT RUNNING it. I may have made a typo, but prior to editing, pressing the syntax checker shows no errors.

Also perhaps you could explain the normal mode of entering a script. Using the: "edit field rules",
                        "Events"
                        "Record events"
                        A window opens which allows one to write the script.

ALSO there is a button; OPEN CODE EDITOR above the window, which seems to offer exactly the capability for entering the script.

I don't understand if there are situations when one writes in the first open window or when one presses the OPEN CODE EDITOR button, and writes the script in the second window.

Can you explain the difference?

Thanks Steve

Comment

Steve,

'****** I missed the '. Sorry. That line is OK.

...pressing the syntax checker shows no errors... One thing I've learned is that the syntax editor does not always recognize errors..

...Also perhaps you could explain the normal mode of entering a script. Using the: "edit field rules",
                          "Events"
                          "Record events"
                          A window opens which allows one to write the script....

Try writing the script at form level rather than a table level.

...I don't understand if there are situations when one writes in the first open window or when one presses the OPEN CODE EDITOR button, and writes the script in the second window. can you explain the difference? ...

If you enter the code in the first window, you can choose to associate the code with the specific field for which the field rule is associated or the entire record as a whole.

When you press the Code Editor button, you can choose between Action Scripting and Xbasic. Action Scripting is limited strictly to teh action scripts with the exception of Inline xbasic which is designed for only limited xbasic.

If you choose Xbasic, you are given access to the 'full' xbasic window which of course allows you to even choose Action sctipting which is meant to be the opposite, Mostly code intermingled with action scripts.

Make sense? That's my take on it. Perhaps others may differ or know more about this new feature. Unless there is a specific reason for writing the script (I know there are) I would use the code at the form level. Again, Try writing the script at form level rather than a table level.

kenn

Comment

Working...
                          X