Alpha Video Training

Thread: Record number skips at Set level, quirky

Steven Spencer

Default Record number skips at Set level, quirky

I have a "Header" table with 3 records, when I look at them in the table level they are Record Number 1-2-3 on the toolbar on top, scrolling back and forth is fine, and the browse are fine....

When I try at the Set level, (this is the parent table and I have the index at record number, also I just repacked and rebuilt indexes), record two skips over... ie 1-3 3-1 when using the for record numbers... if I put the number 2 in the record number field, I will get a lockup...

No field level events are going on, and this occurs.
    The Form events are quite benign (setting a variable "mode"
    and maximizing the window) and I temporarily took out the cross file validations just to eliminate another factor..

I also tried duplicating and renaming the table..
    (and the child browse set is empty, no issues there)

Any idea why this behaviour should be quirky ?

============================================================
    (I was having one or two other weirdnesses also, such as a record repeating 3 times in the set browse mode but that fixed after the pack/reindex)

Alpha Software Employee AaronBBrown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Aaron Brown

Default RE: Record number skips at Set level, quirky

You'd have to send your set to us. My only thought is that you have a one-to-many relationship with no child records, which would cause the set to browse at a different level. In that case, it isn't quirky or inconsistent, it is behaving as it should. But...we'd have to see your data to be sure.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Steven,

Consider posting a copy of the entire database here, so we can look at it.

I'm puzzled (and a little alarmed) that you actually have a field in your table called Record Number. Did you build an index on it, and what did you call it?

Windows requires all objects in a program to be separately named. You can get into trouble if you start naming things with names that match internal names used by Alpha Five. I don't know for a fact that 'Record Number' is a reserved word, but I would NOT be surprised. I'm wondering if Alpha Five is getting confused with your index arrangement. There's no need to create an index based on each records' 'record number' in order to view them in record number order. -- tom

Steven Spencer

Tom Cone Jr
    I'm puzzled (and a little alarmed) that you actually have a field in your table called Record Number. Did you build an index on it, and what did you call it?

Steven
    :-) No, what I meant was that when you go into Menu/Query/Select Index or Query--
    There are four choices, the 3 indexes and one called

And that the one that is "Active" is

=====================================================
    Aaron Brown
    You'd have to send your set to us. My only thought is that you have a one-to-many relationship with no child records, which would cause the set to browse at a different level.

Steven
    Okay,I may have an Alpha Users Group meeting tonite (NYC) and I will see if there is way to load it there and show it live, if not I will plan to zip it up tonite or tomorrow

Keep in mind that this quirky missing record is at the parent level.. and I am comparing the forms for the table and the set to see the record numbers, and the set is losing one record...
    (the browses are simply a confirmation, and also at the parent level)

I know a lot of newbies are not really programmer lingo savvy but I have many years of mini-computer background and did some Alpha 4 stuff years back, so I am trying to double and triple check any problem or question before posting it here....

Thanks for the help, this is my most important issue right now :-)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    JohnZaleski

Does it do this in the default form for the set???
    If you're not sure what that is, under tables sets tab, simply double click the set.
    If it doesn't happen there, but does do it in a custom form, check out that form's properties and if you have anything in filter or order, erase it and try again.
    If it does, is there a browse on the form for the child records, or do you have the child fields on the form itself, but not in a browse?

Steven Spencer

John Zaleski
    Does it do this in the default form for the set???

Steven
    Good suggestion..

Yes, I should have mentioned that ...
    It does also occur at the default form of the set...
    The record is missing in record mode and in the browse..

.. but, it gives us more information...
    a message rather than locking up...

"Cannot go to record two because it is not part of the current query, or that record may have been deleted"
    "Click the 'Show All' button to turn off the current query, then try again"

The 'Show All' button under query is grayed out, I hadn't done any querys ...

And I am not supposed to have any deleted records, as shown in the table default form ... so it seems to be a "pseudo-deleted" record ? hmmm.. (remember I just packed the table to be sure)

I remember back when I first played with .dbf files, I was never real happy with the language-given deletes, so I would sometimes emulate them with a "delete code" (giving a little more control eg. if you want to keep the deleted records in an auxiliary delete history file).

Ok.. I will poke around a little more, consider .zip the file up later, bringing it to the User Group meeting now.

( and.. shhh.. also consider adding my own delete code and disabling the systems, at least on a couple of vital tables)
    =================================================

John
    If it does, is there a browse on the form for the child records, or do you have the child fields on the form itself, but not in a browse?

Steven
    There was a browse for the one-to-many child records, none on the form itself..

Steven
    Thanks.. good suggestion above. "why didn't I try that out more carefully myself" :-) Still a problem, maybe a real glitch, but focused now to know exactly what the super-techies can look for..

Steven Spencer

Aaron Brown
    You'd have to send your set to us.

Tom Cone Jr
    Steven

Ok, ready for that, since I duplicated the problem on a fresh set of data, even on the very first record...
    but the earlier 3 record data is the best for looking..
    (The second record shows up in the table but not the set view)

============
    Actual Application 5 meg Zip 800 K
    Streamlined Version 1 meg 150 k
    (this includes the form that created the problem)
    ============
    arival.sem 292K - arival is the set with problem
    container_hdr.ddm 29Ok - the parent table of arival with the problem
    ===========================================

Here are instructions..

1) Look at container_hdr in default browse and notice the three records, Record #2, Container ABC1234 is the issue

2) Look at the Arival Set and notice that it goes from record 1 to record 3, if you handput record #2 in the toolbar you will get the message I mentioned above (about query and delete)

3) The Arival Form is available, it acts similarly to the Arival Set (it used to lock up, now it gives the same msg as above, probably because I cleanup up some code, however in the new database the same problem locks up Alpha, probably because it is in record #1)

This is really my one big hindrance now ...

Steven Spencer

Aaron Brown

Tom Cone Jr
    Steven

Ok, ready for that, since I duplicated the problem on a fresh set of data, even on the very first record...

============
    ============

Here are instructions..

1) Look at container_hdr in default browse and notice the three records, Record #2, Container ABC1234 is the issue

2) Look at the Arival Set and notice that it goes from record 1 to record 3, if you handput record #2 in the toolbar you will get the message I mentioned above (about query and delete)

3) The Arival Form is available, it acts similarly to the Arival Set (it used to lock up, now it gives the same msg as above, probably because I cleanup up some code, however in the new database the same problem locks up Alpha, probably because it is in record #1)

The Application is called Invoice
    The Zip file is dummy.zip

Steven Spencer

Aaron Brown

Tom Cone Jr
    Steven

============
    ============

Here are instructions..

The Application is called Invoice
    The Zip file is Invoice.zip

Real Name
    Aaron Brown

The problem is in your set structure...

You have a one-to-one link from CONTAINER_HDR-TYPES that has its "Include record in parent table" property set to "Only if a matching child record DOES exist." Change this rule and it works fine.

Real Name
    Aaron Brown

Perhaps I should be more clear.

In looking at your data, the linking key between Container_Hdr and Types defined as an expression. You don't have a record in Container_Hdr with a matching linking key in Types. The problem will also go away if you give one of the records in container_hdr a matching linking key.

Steven Spencer

Hi,

Thanks so much Aaron, now I can keep on moving along !

I must have been in a fog when I did that link :-)
    Probably didn't notice that it was a limitation no
    the parent table...

Took out the requirement..

Kudos for the quick find..
    =============================================