Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

2003 Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 Conference

This message was originally posted to the Announcements Forum.

We are in the EARLY planning stages for the next Alpha Conference.

CONFERENCE DATES: Friday, April 10 thru Sunday, April 12
    Training Dates: Weds, April 8 and Thurs, April 9

I am currently looking for presentation and discussion topics, as well as, general feedback on last year's conference.

As we fervently try to prepare new products for release, please respond to this enquiry directly. Please do not send inquiries or comments to Selwyn or Richard directly.

If there is something you would like re-directed to SR or RR (not posted within this forum) you may send me an email ([email protected]) and I'll see that it gets directed as instructed.

Your posts will be monitored by Selwyn and Richard.

An additional note on Training:

Training is focused towards the new Alpha User.
    Our thoughts on training prior to the conference: market to and empower the new user with the knowledge and confidence to attend the event with more advanced developers.

We appreciate all of your comments and hope to make the upcoming Conference a success!

-Jeannette
    [email protected]

RE: 2003 Conference

16 Dec. 2002

Ken,

Thank you for your observation. Yes, I am a Certified Public Accountant from the great state of Texas. Of course some people think that "CPA" means "Certified pain in the A**".

For the sake of clarity, in my opinion, Alpha is a great program for accountants. However, I think Alpha is missing the boat by not marketing more strongly to them. (None of my accounting friends have heard of Alpha prior to me telling about them. Yes, I do have more than two friends.) More-ever, I think that there could be a lot of Quicken users who fit in the same category as crunch time on the 15th of April. For many accountants, this is a total stressed out week and it takes a week to recover. As such, if Alpha is remotely interested in this potential market, then they should walk in these people shoes and feel the rubber band tightening and the stupid last minute excuses by their clients. I am sure if a tax accountant has to make a choice between a paying client and Alpha, you can be sure Alpha will be the LAST choice.

Furthermore, CPA's are required to have forty hours of Continuing Education for the state of Texas. Most other states have this same requirement. As such, we are always looking for "qualified" classes where we can rack up our forty hours. Companies like the one I work for, are "willing" to pay for taking these required classes. Paying for a trip, which does not meet this requirement, are good candidates for trash can waste material.

For the sake of clarity, I got out of the rat race of preparing tax returns. I do only mine, and please do not ask me any tax advice.

Have a nice day,
    JG
    Houston, TX
    281-579-4546

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Msg ID: 1965
    Subject: RE: 2003 Conference
    Author: Ken Nordin
    Date: 12-16-2002 5:27 PM
    File:

I wonder if JG is a CPA? If so, that's the worst time of the year for him.

kenn

Comment

John,

Is bubble gum tax deductable if I chew it during the meeting with my client?

~(:>}
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Only if the gum is 100% used for business purposes. You must have 2 gums one for business is deductible, the other is not. Change often depending on what you are doing.

Russ

Comment

17 Dec. 2002

Ken,

Good morning. I am glad to see during the Christmas season, a person with a sense of humor.

As previously stated, I do not give tax advice. However, it being close to Christmas, and you seem to be an outstanding person, I will advise you that the following advice I give you is worth the value you paid (zero).

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Of course, bubble gum is tax deductible if you purchase it for the office. Is coffee tax deductible, which you serve to clients? Is paper you use to write on tax deductible? Are Christmas cards you send to your clients (friends) tax deductible? Some people even deduct their dog's dog food, if it is used as a guard dog to guard the building, etc.

Is the cost of Alpha software tax deductible? Is the cost of going to the Alpha convention tax deductible? For most people, yes. For me, probably no, as I just want to meet Jeanette. Well ok, I would like to meet Richard and Selwyn. (It is 8:00 AM and I believe in having a laugh sometime during the day. HA. HA. Jeanette, just having some fun.)

Seasons' Greetings to ALL,
          JG
          Houston, TX
          281-679-9357

Comment

Dates need to be updated:

Friday the 11th, Saturday, the 12th and Sunday, the 13th.

Comment

I wasn't at last year's conference and don't know much about it, so I'm coming at this fresh - but some of the classes I'd like to see are:

- Everything You Need to Know
              (That the Documentation Doesn't Tell You)
              - Putting a Pretty (Inter)Face on Your Apps
              - Tips & Techniques from the Pros
              - Building Efficient Workflow into Your Apps
              - Marketing Your Apps, including:
              - How to Generalize Your Customized App and Why

Also, I'd vote to have it some time other than the weekend before tax day too - that can be a busy time even for us non-accountants!

Regards,
              Dave Whittle

Comment

"We" are the Conference organizer, Valerie Simpkins and Jeannette.

Please note: Ira will BE THERE...we've just removed the Herculean task of coordinating this event from his plate.

Soon..with approval from Richard and Selwyn, we will have a tentative schedule of presentation tracks, and issuing invitations for presentations and speakers.

FIRM DATES:

Conference will be: FRI, April 4th thru SUN, April 6th.

(See we HAVE BEEN listening ;-)

Get Acquainted Mixer (and early registration) will be held THURS evening from 7:00 to 9:00pm (tentative);

Friday registration will be at 8:00am; First general session on Friday will start at 9:00am.

We are tentatively scheduling a General Session on Sunday, with a formal close to the Conference -to give some time
                for them SAD goodbyes. ;-)

2-day training, to be held WEDS, Apr 2nd and THURS, Apr 3rd.

We are negotiating Hospitality rates. When we have "signed" we will release the name of the hotel (URL, location, rate, etc.)

We are also trying to coordinate "shuttles" from Logan International to the hotel. This will take a little coordination on, uhmmm MY part, to strategically coordinate
                the van runs from Logan on Thurs (pm) and Friday (am) and again on Sunday. (emphasis on strategic coordination)

When "we" have more, we'll let you know!

;-)

-Jeannette

Comment

Dave,

Those are all great topics!

Peter

P.S. I've really enjoyed the last 2 conferences. Very rewarding if you're an Alphaholic.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Time to bring this topic to the top of the list. Looking forward to another great conference. The last one was very informative.

Jerry

Comment

I always enjoy Selwyn's demos. Look forward to a possible sneak peak at Version 6.0.

Comment

We are seeing increasing interest from schools/colleges/universities in Alpha Five both from an admin perspective and from a teaching perspective.

Do you think it is worth have a session on this at the coferene

Please reply [email protected]
                        Richard Rabins
                        Co Chairman
                        Alpha Software

Comment

Richard,

What do you mean by,

Do you think it is worth have a session on this at the coferene

Are you thinking of a session on how we as developers acan approach educational instituions and offer them what, training, reduced price software, etc.?

Or are you thinking of making a pitch to them to attend? Money is worse than queaky tight here. The state is almost 5 Billion in the red and the new governor pledges NO NEW or INCREASED TAXES. The county I work for pushed the big "P" button and I'm done the end of the year.

I'm lookin for the money tree in his back yard.

kenn
                          TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Topic for Conference:
                            Active X and dll/ocx files

Whic ones are useful in alpha app.
                            what others are using them
                            how to install
                            sample forms showing results

charlie crimmel

Comment

Another request. At the last 2 conferences there was supposed to be a cd out with the contents of the conf. Ira never got to it which I can understand. Now that it is being done by Alpha can we get a compilation of what was presented.

Russ

Comment

Working...
                              X