Alpha Video Training

Thread: Alpha5 Webserver

Gregory R. Zilliox

Default Alpha5 Webserver

I have built a small application that reads data from various tables using the Webserver and xbasic. The problem is once a client accesses the webserver it will no longer respond to anyone else. I am using port 8080. I have to stop the server and restart. Should I be clearing a port or is this a design in the webserver for the beta version?
    Greg

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Default RE: Alpha5 Webserver

The beta version is limited to one session. When you restart the server, the existing session is removed and is then avaialble for the next user. When we release the final product, it will be licensed by number of simultaneous sessions, allowing multiple users to access the server at the same time.

More information about how the Web Application Server uses sessions is avaialble at http://was.alphasoftware.com/sessions.html.

-Lenny

Gregory R. Zilliox

Lenny, I understand the concern with regard to one license/session user for Alpha 5 but it makes it very difficult to stress test the Web Server. Why would Alpha care on how many users from the "outside" world access my webserver. I think a date bomb would be much better. I need people to fetch my database records at will without any disruption. I really can't fully test this and see if it will perform to the level I need it to.
    Please consider my recommendation of the "date bomb". I can't keep starting and stopping the service. That brings up another question. Will the Alpha 5 WebServer be able to run as a service under Windows/2000/Windows.Net? If my webserver is rebooted or restarted for any reason and I'm not there, I need the service to restart.
    Thanks,
    Greg

Gregory R. Zilliox

By the way, the session limit never expires. I tried for the whole day to access my webserver and it just would not respond until I stopped it and restarted it. I tried changing the value to 100 and just stayed at 300.
    Greg

Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Because the software is still in a beta state, it is not ready for stress testing. Were you to stress test it now, you would not get accurate results. An upcoming beta will allow you to have simultaneous users, but the number will still be limited.

As far as running as a windows service, this is certainly something we will be adding before release.

-Lenny

Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

When your sessions are all being used, the browser should get a response from the server almost immediately that says something like "server too busy, try again". If the browser is just waiting and waiting, something else has happened to the server and prevented it from processing requests.

Make sure you have error logging enabled and take a look in there to see if there is any indication of what the problem may be. If you do not find anything, feel free to send me your application to troubleshoot.

-Lenny

Gregory R. Zilliox

Lenny,
    I am not getting the reponse indicating the the server is busy, but I have the logging active for the error file. I will attach that file so you can see it.
    Greg

Gregory R. Zilliox

ok..