Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Getting on the Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting on the Forum

Does anyone have a clue about a small problem I have. I have 2 computers that I use and for some reason occassionally I cannot get on with one of my computers. It will work and then all of a sudden it asks for my username and password and even though I put in the correct info it acts like its not correct, therefore I cannot get on. I have done nothing different. On this other computer which I am on now its not a problem.

Tommorow or the next day I can go back to that same computer and get right on alpha forum. It seems like the forum is the only place I even have that problem. Any ideas? I'm stumped!

RE: Getting on the Forum

David,

I hope that it is just a small probelem you have. Now about your computer, have you checked the tools and internet options. I made the same mistake of clearing the history file after 2 days and found that I had to re-enter my password to get back onto the message board. Hope this is just your problem.

Keith Hubert
    London.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Believe me I checked all of that. What gets me is that even when I get the entry screen to enter my username and password I will fill the correct info out and it just wont take it as though it is the wrong info. I have another username and password and it wont work either. It just acts like its not the correct info when I know in fact it is. The next day I don't even have to enter it, it will fly through like nothing is wrong!

Comment

David

Sounds like your computer is having a bad day. Say nice things to it, promise to buy flowers and a box of chocolates and you will make it to it another time.

Keith Hubert
        London.
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

David:

Check the system date. Is it correct?

Not long ago, I was moving my system date forward to test some scripts that parse production orders into 12 month shipping reports. I found that doing so locked me out of the board until I reset the system date to the correct date.

Craig

Comment

I know this sounds stupid of me to even suggest....but do you always check your caps lock...since the logon is case-sensitive!

Doug

Comment

I have the same issues. Most times, I get into the forum with no problems. Then, suddenly, while in the forum, I get the login screen. This is not a major problem, just a pain in the neck. There doesn't seem to be any specific pattern. I could be in a topic, click on back to topic list, and, bang, I get the login screen. I am running a gateway pentium 4, 1.9GHz with 512 MB Memory. Windows 2000 service pack 2. Browser is Netscape 4.75. Somehow, somewhere along the way, I think that the forum doesnt see a cookie?

Tom Henkel

Comment

Well guys here you go. The date is correct, the caps is not on, I havent changed the internet settings, I've even lowered the settings hoping that would make a difference. I have used both logons that I have and neither one work. When it doesn't work I just go to my other computer but sometimes that can be a pain in the neck.

I'm on XP on both computers so those are the same. Frankly, I dont get it! LOL I try my best to laugh about it but sometimes it may cause me to kick it...although I don't.

Anyone else?????

Comment

Hi David:

Like you, every so often, I also have to log-in to the forum. Unlike you, however, I'm running Win 2000.

Could it be that the 'cookie' that is stored by the forum / Alpha web site expires after a fixed amount of time?

Perhaps somebody at Alpha can offer up an explanation...

Comment

Well I'm on the forum almost daily. Many times I'm on more than once. I don't think that can be it. I'n just glad to see I'm not the only one. I wonder if Alpha has any answers.

Comment

Unfortunately we do not have any answers for you. There was a similar thread on the announcements board lately.

We do use cookies and the cookie does expire after a set period of time, but that should not prevent you from logging back in.

We are hoping to upgrade the message board some time in the future.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
                      Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                      Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Lenny:

Just to be clear, I have never been blocked from logging (back) in to the forum, and I have never been required to log back in to the forum while *using* the forum.

Every so often, however, I have had to log-in to regain access to the forum, and I'm certain that I did not delete the forum cookie from my system prior to such a log-in.

Generally, after what time period does a forum cookie expire, and does an expired cookie require a (new) login?

Does any sort of server problem or system / forum maintenance on your side cause such a log-in anomaly?

Honestly, it's really no big deal - just a curiosity. Don't waste too many brain cycles on this one...

Thanks,

GP

Comment

I've seen other forums where a thread can be closed when the initial inquiry has been satisfied, typically by the individual initiating the thread. It's useful for several reasons.

That makes it easy to tell whether or not the issue has been resolved. It allows others to quickly assess where their input and assistance may still be needed.

It can prevent topic drift, where a thread starts off as one thing and wanders into something completely different, like this.

Being able to close threads has at least one drawback as well. Sometimes, a thread stays open after the individual who opened the thread has received a perfectly suitable solution (and may have closed the thread if it was possible) and others contribute alternative solutions we otherwise wouldn't know about.

All this by way of asking whether a revised forum may offer capabilities similar to this.

Thank you.

Comment

Lenny,

I'm not really complaining, I just found it odd. I just got on the computer that I use all the time that I have had problems with and it came right up. That's what I am using right now. Like I said it comes and goes. I can go on the forum a few times in a day and all of a sudden it asks for a password and after I enter it then it wont take it. Really wierd! LOL....I assure you I'm not losing any sleep on this one. More than anything I wanted to make sure I wasnt the only one. Thanks for assuring me of my sanity..lol

Comment

What you are seeing George is normal behaviour (though flawed in design). Others that are being prevented from logging in again are seeing some bug we have been unable to find. Matters are complicated by the fact that the original developer of the message board code is long gone and we have no way to get in contact with him.

I don't know offhand what the cookie lifetime that this server uises is, but I think it is several months.

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
                              Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                              Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Working...
                              X