Alpha Video Training

Thread: Getting on the Forum

David Day

Default Getting on the Forum

Does anyone have a clue about a small problem I have. I have 2 computers that I use and for some reason occassionally I cannot get on with one of my computers. It will work and then all of a sudden it asks for my username and password and even though I put in the correct info it acts like its not correct, therefore I cannot get on. I have done nothing different. On this other computer which I am on now its not a problem.

Tommorow or the next day I can go back to that same computer and get right on alpha forum. It seems like the forum is the only place I even have that problem. Any ideas? I'm stumped!

"Certified" Alphaholic Keith Hubert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Hubert

Default RE: Getting on the Forum

David,

I hope that it is just a small probelem you have. Now about your computer, have you checked the tools and internet options. I made the same mistake of clearing the history file after 2 days and found that I had to re-enter my password to get back onto the message board. Hope this is just your problem.

Keith Hubert
    London.

David Day

Believe me I checked all of that. What gets me is that even when I get the entry screen to enter my username and password I will fill the correct info out and it just wont take it as though it is the wrong info. I have another username and password and it wont work either. It just acts like its not the correct info when I know in fact it is. The next day I don't even have to enter it, it will fly through like nothing is wrong!

"Certified" Alphaholic Keith Hubert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Keith Hubert

David

Sounds like your computer is having a bad day. Say nice things to it, promise to buy flowers and a box of chocolates and you will make it to it another time.

Keith Hubert
    London.

Real Name
    Craig Schumacker

David:

Check the system date. Is it correct?

Not long ago, I was moving my system date forward to test some scripts that parse production orders into 12 month shipping reports. I found that doing so locked me out of the board until I reset the system date to the correct date.

Craig

Real Name
    Douglas Hawkins

I know this sounds stupid of me to even suggest....but do you always check your caps lock...since the logon is case-sensitive!

Doug

Thomas Henkel

I have the same issues. Most times, I get into the forum with no problems. Then, suddenly, while in the forum, I get the login screen. This is not a major problem, just a pain in the neck. There doesn't seem to be any specific pattern. I could be in a topic, click on back to topic list, and, bang, I get the login screen. I am running a gateway pentium 4, 1.9GHz with 512 MB Memory. Windows 2000 service pack 2. Browser is Netscape 4.75. Somehow, somewhere along the way, I think that the forum doesnt see a cookie?

Tom Henkel

David Day

Well guys here you go. The date is correct, the caps is not on, I havent changed the internet settings, I've even lowered the settings hoping that would make a difference. I have used both logons that I have and neither one work. When it doesn't work I just go to my other computer but sometimes that can be a pain in the neck.

I'm on XP on both computers so those are the same. Frankly, I dont get it! LOL I try my best to laugh about it but sometimes it may cause me to kick it...although I don't.

Anyone else?????

George Pelkofer

Hi David:

Like you, every so often, I also have to log-in to the forum. Unlike you, however, I'm running Win 2000.

Could it be that the 'cookie' that is stored by the forum / Alpha web site expires after a fixed amount of time?

Perhaps somebody at Alpha can offer up an explanation...

David Day

Well I'm on the forum almost daily. Many times I'm on more than once. I don't think that can be it. I'n just glad to see I'm not the only one. I wonder if Alpha has any answers.

Alpha Software Employee Lenny Forziati's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Unfortunately we do not have any answers for you. There was a similar thread on the announcements board lately.

We do use cookies and the cookie does expire after a set period of time, but that should not prevent you from logging back in.

We are hoping to upgrade the message board some time in the future.

-Lenny

George Pelkofer

Lenny:

Just to be clear, I have never been blocked from logging (back) in to the forum, and I have never been required to log back in to the forum while *using* the forum.

Every so often, however, I have had to log-in to regain access to the forum, and I'm certain that I did not delete the forum cookie from my system prior to such a log-in.

Generally, after what time period does a forum cookie expire, and does an expired cookie require a (new) login?

Does any sort of server problem or system / forum maintenance on your side cause such a log-in anomaly?

Honestly, it's really no big deal - just a curiosity. Don't waste too many brain cycles on this one...

Thanks,

GP

Real Name
    Paul French

I've seen other forums where a thread can be closed when the initial inquiry has been satisfied, typically by the individual initiating the thread. It's useful for several reasons.

That makes it easy to tell whether or not the issue has been resolved. It allows others to quickly assess where their input and assistance may still be needed.

It can prevent topic drift, where a thread starts off as one thing and wanders into something completely different, like this.

Being able to close threads has at least one drawback as well. Sometimes, a thread stays open after the individual who opened the thread has received a perfectly suitable solution (and may have closed the thread if it was possible) and others contribute alternative solutions we otherwise wouldn't know about.

All this by way of asking whether a revised forum may offer capabilities similar to this.

Thank you.

David Day

Lenny,

I'm not really complaining, I just found it odd. I just got on the computer that I use all the time that I have had problems with and it came right up. That's what I am using right now. Like I said it comes and goes. I can go on the forum a few times in a day and all of a sudden it asks for a password and after I enter it then it wont take it. Really wierd! LOL....I assure you I'm not losing any sleep on this one. More than anything I wanted to make sure I wasnt the only one. Thanks for assuring me of my sanity..lol

Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

What you are seeing George is normal behaviour (though flawed in design). Others that are being prevented from logging in again are seeing some bug we have been unable to find. Matters are complicated by the fact that the original developer of the message board code is long gone and we have no way to get in contact with him.

I don't know offhand what the cookie lifetime that this server uises is, but I think it is several months.

-Lenny

Real Name
    Lenny Forziati

Probably not. As you point out, it has advantages and disadvantages. Additionally it requires that the person actually close the thread. On a system where many users do not close threads, the functionality becomes a negative feature because others assume that the thread is still unresolved and could potentially need attention.

But of course this is my opinion on the matter. We're open to all suggestions for improvements.

-Lenny

Edward F. Schulz

Hi David,

You might try the way I get to the forum. I've bookmarked both V5 and V4.5 and use those to enter the forum. Since I am using V4.5 and V5 this makes it easy for
    me to move from one to the other. BTW, prior to this, I had to login occasionally, but not since I bookmarked them.

efs

David Day

Just to answer that one. I have Alpha and Alpha Forum bookmarked. It's a mystery...lol

Brian Pattenden

David,

I guess by the date, that you will have resolved this one by now.

If not, have you tried a different keyboard. It would eliminate a suspect even if it did not lead to a conviction.

Brianp