Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Database Utilities/Backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Database Utilities/Backup

Build 1342-1019 added ?Database Utilities/Backup? which is great. In addition Settings/System/Backup asks for frequency of Backup.

Question: my Data is on a PC acting as a Server (for example ?W:\alpha_data\C_Net?), Alpha Ver 5 is not installed on this PC but the work stations all have full versions installed. How can I utilize Database Utilities to Backup the Data from the Server? I told my customer that Alpha handles Backup and now I find that is not true if you have your data on a server.

Seems as though Database Utilities needs an option to allow backing up the Server.

-Barry

RE: Database Utilities/Backup

Barry,

What happens if you run one step backup from a shadow database on a client. Does it back up the shadow or the master files.

I don't know the answer to this and am not yet in a position to test it. Have you?

All the best,
    Bill
    Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Assuming what you say is correct, the A5 backup stuff will be useless for all my networked clients, none of whom run A5 on their NT servers. Then again, I am not sure how important that is since they all should be doing regular backups of all dataq files on the servers. Then again, I know for sure one of them does not.

Ray Lyons

Comment

Barry
        You can use the script genie to set up a custom backup job,
        And just change the folder name you to where the data is i.e. \\server\my_app
        I think it should work

Daniel Weiss
        Daniel Weiss
        EZ Link Software

Comment

Bill, I tried and it said "you are running on a shadow database". So it failed.

Daniel's choice may work, but it should really be handled by the database Utilitys.

-Barry

Comment

That sounds like a good idea, I'll try that.

P.S. You will be getting an Email Notice re: the Dec 18th Meeting.

Thanks, Barry

Comment

Daniel, it does not appear to offer any method of changing the path at all. You can indicate where to place the zipped file, but the source is etched in concreto solido!

-Barry

Comment

You can do all the backups you want. You just better make sure that you can restore from your backup.

I can't no matter what I have tried. The backup/restore function is useless. I lose data, get corrupted forms or lose updated forms.

I can use third party backup and restore software, but the utility in Alpha 5 is useless.

I've seen warning messages and posted them on this board and no one from Alpha would even tell me what they meant.

I like Alpha 5, but this backup/restore utility is useless.
                Alpha 5 Version 11
                AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
                DBF's and MySql
                Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Hi Barry.....

You might be able to do what you want if you take a look at these 2 functions.
                  The first returns a CRLF list that you can use in the zip_files() function. Filefind.get() will let you select the path to your newtork drive ..(pretty sure) & the function its self is very powerful.

String = Filefind.get(Pattern, File_attribute, Format)

Result_flag = Zip_files(zip_filename, filelist, [delete_existing] )

doug

Comment

I'm not sure the backup in A5 is useless, I'm sure for some cases it probably works BUT I think you can get a lot more flexibility and safety using a backup utility that's made for that purpose and has been around for a while. Backups are too important to use untested software on. I use backup exec, the personal edition from stomp which will backup mapped drives on a schedule and it works great. Fast and foolproof plus it will backup to tape or CDRW. I use a NS20 tape drive for medium and have never had one of these fail when I needed it. Of course you have to check them periodically but if a backup fails for some reason the software always gives me some sort of error message so I know I had better check it out.

My 2 cents
                    Russ

Comment

Barry

Daniel Weiss
                      This script runs from the alpha sports application which is in this folder �D:\Program Files\A5V5\Samples\AlphaSports�
                      But backs up the alpha sports application which is in this folder �D:\AlphaSports�
                      I used the genie for a custom backup and then just added (using the fantastic transform option new in x basic) �d:\AlphaSports\� before each file name
                      Try it
                      Daniel Weiss

'Run a custom Backup job.
                      code_to_execute = ;
                      %dlg%)

if .not. (prompt_result = "OK" .or. prompt_result = "enter") then
                      comment_text = "Quit_Backup_operation"
                      end if

DIM zipfilename as C
                      'Generate a filename for the backup using a special naming sequence
                      zipfilename = a5_backup_filename("C:\BACKUP"+chr(92),a5.get_name(),comment_text)
                      if comment_text "Quit_Backup_operation" then
                      if files_to_backup "" then
                      a5_zip_files_w_fback(files_to_backup,zipfilename,.t.,.f.,.f.)
                      dim message_confirmation as c
                      message_confirmation = "Selected Database files were backed up to: '"+zipfilename+"'"
                      confirm_result = ui_dlg_box("Note", ;
                      %dlg%)
                      if confirm_result = "view" then
                      dim flag_temp as l
                      flag_temp = file.unzip(zipfilename,"Database",file.temp_path_get())
                      if flag_temp = .t. then
                      dim temp_text as c
                      temp_text = get_from_file(file.temp_path_get()+"Database")
                      ui_dlg_box("Backup Log - "+zipfilename,"[%M%.120,30temp_text];;")
                      ELSE
                      ui_msg_box("Error","Could not open the Backup log.",UI_STOP_SYMBOL)
                      END IF
                      end if

else
                      UI_msg_box("Error","No files were specified to backup.")
                      end if

end if

%code%
                      dim cmd_initial as c
                      cmd_initial = code_to_execute
                      dim msg as c
                      msg = "In order to Backup files, all open Windows must first be closed. OK to close all open Windows?"
                      dim cmd_result as c
                      'get list of all open windows...........................................
                      dim open_windows as c
                      open_windows = a5_list_open_windows()
                      dim current_window as c
                      if is_object(topparent.this)
                      if topparent.class() = "form" .or. topparent.class() = "browse" then
                      current_window = topparent.name()
                      'remove the current window from the list
                      open_windows = word_subtract(open_windows,current_window,crlf())
                      end if
                      end if

'generate the xbasic to close all of the open windows (excepting the current window)....................
                      dim cmd_close as c
                      cmd_close = *for_each(x,x+".close()" , open_windows)
                      ''now execute the xbasic
                      cmd_result = evaluate_template(cmd_close)

if cmd_result "" then
                      ui_msg_box("Error",cmd_result)
                      else 'was successfull in closing down all open windows.... so proceed
                      if is_object(topparent.this) then
                      if topparent.class() = "form" .or. topparent.class() = "browse" then
                      dim q_msg as n
                      q_msg = ui_msg_box("Notice",msg,UI_ATTENTION_SYMBOL+UI_OK_CANCEL)
                      if q_msg = ui_ok_selected then
                      dim topparent_name as c
                      dim cmd as c
                      dim condition as c

dim open_sessions
                      open_sessions = session_enum()
                      dim open_session_count as n
                      open_session_count = line_count(open_sessions)

if topparent.class() = "form" then
                      cmd = " form.view(" + quote(topparent.name(1)+"@" + topparent.Dictionary_Get(1))+")"
                      else
                      cmd = " browse.view(" +quote( topparent.name(1)+"@" + topparent.Dictionary_Get(1))+")"
                      end if
                      'when the number of sessions is one less than the number before the layout is closed then
                      'the session that the form/browse was based on has been closed, and it is safe to run the
                      'command.
                      condition = "line_count(session_enum()) = " + (open_session_count - 1 )
                      cmd = cmd_initial + crlf() + cmd
                      on_condition(condition,cmd)
                      topparent.close()
                      end if

else 'topparent is an object, but it is not a form or browse
                      cmd_result = evaluate_template(cmd_initial)
                      if cmd_result "" then
                      end if
                      end if
                      else ' topparent is not an object
                      cmd_result = evaluate_template(cmd_initial)
                      if cmd_result "" then
                      end if
                      end if
                      end if

Daniel Weiss
                      EZ Link Software

Comment

Thanks Daniel. From some of the other comments on problems doing a Restore, I had better check that out first.

Thanks again for your efforts.

-Barry

Comment

I've never explicitly done a restore but I have certainly been able to manually extract and use the zipped files created by the backup process.

On another point, what if you (from a client machine) open the application on the server directly and run a backup job? I do a lot of maintenance that way in 4.5.

Bill
                          Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

That's another alternative that I'll pursue. Good job of thinking outside the box!

-Barry

Comment

Working...
                            X