Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Database not showing the program as Alpha Five.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Database not showing the program as Alpha Five.

I have been designing a small database for a client.

When I give him the database I do not want him to know that it is a Alpha Five product.I would also like it to run from an exe.file.

How do you perform these functions?

Thanks

RE: Database not showing the program as Alpha Five

You need A5v5 Runtime.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Although it still won't be an .exe. (like VB) He'll start the runtime .exe with an argument of the .adb

Comment

First of all no matter what version you use your client will always know that Alpha is in the back round, they can see the alpha files in windows explorer, or when your application kicks an error (which will happen once in a while even for the best programmer) an alpha error message will pop up, etc.
        But why in world are we trying to hide the language we use? What�s wrong with our clients knowing we use Alpha to write our applications? Are we trying to tell our clients we wrote the application using our own language (I would not buy an application that was written by a single person with nobody backing him up)
        I think we should take pride of letting our clients know we use alpha to write our applications! After all there is nothing to be ashamed of, Alpha Five v5 is an excellent product

Daniel Weiss
        Daniel Weiss
        EZ Link Software

Comment

Daniel,

I agree completely with your comments:...

Are we trying to tell our clients we wrote the application using our own language (I would not buy an application that was written by a single person with nobody backing him up)

I would suspect that there are many Alpha 5 developers who have picked up clients bacause the client is having problems with an application written by 'someone' using 'some language' who has disappeared into the sunset. I think that allowing our client(s) to know which development platform we used served both of us. It is a form of advertising for me, as the developer, and is a sense of security for the client, in that the client knows that if the situation arises, they can find another Alpha 5 developer to support them.

Dave
          Dave Jampole
          www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

I think this argument is normally used to support the use of MicroMush products. I know almost no-one has heard of Alpha Five, still. But since version 5 I see Alpha Software making a move into the public eye. Hey - they still don't have the budget to compete (I have a feeling it's coming as they have finally priced themselves right), and have a product that will compete absolutely.

In this regard I think it would be beneficial for us all if we helped by advertising the fact we use Alpha Five. And as relatively easy as it is, creating applications in Alpha Five is still a very time consuming process and one I do NOT reccomend small business owners spend too much time on. I did, and it cost me a lot. Today I would reccomend finding an Alpha Five developer to do the coding and etc. As the business owner I like the fact that I can get "under the hood" but there are so mny more valuable things that I ought to be doing.

Use Alpha Five and tell your clients this fact. In a year or two you will be seen as a really sharp guy who latched onto a well known platform before it was well known...

Comment

With all due respect, I do not agree with these comments. I definitely do agree that there is no shame in letting clients know that we use Alpha 5 to develop the application. I tell them this all the time, and also make reference to Alpha software in the manuals and help screens. However, I do not agree that this should mean that Alpha's name needs to be on the backup dialog screen for example, or on the error message screens. In any professional product that I have seen, the developer definitely credits the developer of the programming language, but all message boxes within the app do NOT reference the language developer, they mention the application name.

I strongly believe that there should be a way to globally change all references to Alpha 5 to any name we want, and then a legal requirement to credit Alpha software in our documentation. Gives a much more polished, professional look in my opinion, while giving appropriate credit to Alpha Software.

Gary Traub
              Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Martin,

My users start the app by clicking on a shortcut to the ADB file which sits on their desktop.

I let the Alpha Five splash screen appear, but it could be suppressed or replaced if you wish.

After Alpha Five loads, I have a startup form that autoloads.

I show all forms in maximized mode, and I use xbasic scripting commands to set the Window title on all forms displayed during the session.

As a result Alpha Five's presence in the background is noted, but isn't present on each screen while the app is running.

I'm not claiming this is perfect, or that this couldn't be handled with more finesse, but it's been working just fine, so I thought I'd mention it.

-- tom

Comment

For example:

In a phone number field, if the user mistakenly types a letter instead of a number, the message box appears titled "Alpha Five" and the message is "The mask expects a number". In a competitive product, if the user attempts to enter a character into the phone field, nothing happens i.e., the user is prevented from making a mistake. They do not see a message that says the programming language's name. Thus, I would think that either there should be a way to do this in Alpha 5 or there should be a way to completely control the error message box.

Gary
                  Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Gary,

I guess this is a tradeoff you make when you elect to use the built in field validation rules. If you do your own custom validation, you have complete control over the appearance of dialog boxes you choose to present if a non-qualifying entry is made by the user. So, in a very real sense, you can have complete control over the error message box by 'rolling your own'.

-- tom

Comment

FWIW, I just completed a small app for use in my financial investigations and sent it to 2 investigators for beta testing. Read the fine print at the bottom.

kenn
                      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Ken:

I really like the screen setup. Good luck with this!

Gary
                        Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Hi Tom:

Is there a way to have a mask in a field (e.g., phone), and have my own error message box?? If there is, that would be great.

Gary
                          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Gary,

I just looked at this. There is a

dial(c phonenumber)

command. This calls up the windows utility. So if you are willing to script your own you can create your own mask and error messages, I think.

Get user input
                            test it for format and provide custom error messages etc .
                            pass it to a variable (vPhonenumber)

and only then write
                            dial(vPhonenumber)

Bill
                            Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Hi Bill:

I am not understanding this. Do you mean that you can test the string for the "-" in the phone number?

Gary
                              Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X