Alpha Video Training

Thread: Switch to Alpha.

Roy Irby

Default Switch to Alpha.

I'm about to make a jump and switch database development platforms... I've been using Approach since v1.0 and Filemaker before that... I can't seem to make by brain think like Access, so A5 it is! I had purchased A5v4 around 1.5 yrs back, but never really got into it. Just purchased v5 today.

So, which of the available books will be good to grab for reference?

Also, tia for patience w/ the impending flood of mundane questions from me. ;)

Roy.

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default RE: Switch to Alpha.

Hi Roy,

Welcome to the fold. Get the book by Susan Bush, start with that. Get the basics down and then get Dr. Peter Wayne's book.

There are some fundamental similarities with the various databases, normalization, etc. Force yourself to focus on Alpha, if you don't know how do do something in Alpha, check the user Guide, etc. Don't try to do it the way you did it in Approach. Your learning curve and frustrations will he a lot less. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We're here to help.

kenn

Roy Irby

I know there are gonna be some major adjustments to make...

For instance, in Approach/Filemaker, there is only one "set" it would seem... One place where you define the relationships btw several databases (Approach calls them Joins, Filemaker - Relationships). I'm not quite sure how having multiple "sets" is gonna effect the way I work, other than possibly avoiding stupendously large numbers of tables in a join/set.

Also, in Approach, indexes were basically hands off. They were handled and generated automatically. A5 seems to allow control over them, but I need to learn why. I do know that they frequently became corrupted in Approach. Eventually I stopped using any autoincrementing serial functions of Approach, so that I could just delete the indexes occasionally without losing the "next serial" for a field (approach or dbase perhaps stored the next available serial for autoincrementing fields within the index file). A pain, yes, but app development is full of workarounds anyway, eh?

Alpha Software Employee Richard Rabins's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Rabins

Will soon be offering training materials from Pace Training on version 5.

They have just completed a two days hands on training in DC and I understand that it was very well received.

thanks

Richard Rabins
    richard@alphasoftawre.com

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Roy,

Don't worry!! Forget how you used to do it. The sooner, the better. Pretend you know nothing about a database, other than normalization, etc. Focus, get tunnel vision, on A5. Yopu'll be running in the fast lane before you know it, unless, you drag Filemaker and Approach methods into the equation. If you do........I hope you don't frustrate easily.

kenn

Roy Irby

Well, I've already got a list of questions in my head that I'm anxious to have answered. Most are of the type:

How the hell am I going to do this in A5? :)

Luckily, the message board here seems pretty lively, so if trial and error or consulting the docs doesn't help, I'll have no problem getting a quick answer.

Roy Irby

Well, just ordered both books v5 books (Bush, Wayne).

Perhaps the added expenditure will further bolster my commitment towards switching. ;)