Alpha Video Training

Thread: Minimum system specs?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Default Minimum system specs?

I have been having some problems getting certain things to work correctly in A5 (full or RT) on a K6-450Mhz. computer with 128 Meg of Ram (112 available - it's a cheap computer and I assume the other 16 are being used for video). The same things run fine on my P3-900 w/ 256. Both computers are running Win98SE.

Does anyone know of any minimum, or recommended minimum, specs relating specifically to A5v5?

If not, how about some comments from others about what their systems are (OS, CPU, Speed, Ram,...) and how they are running - particularly anyone running with a minimal system.

For anyone interested, here are a couple specifics about my issues:
    NOTE - 99% is working correctly - even the XDialog issue is limited to one complex XDialog.

I've had a few possible issues with attached compiled libraries that needed to be reloaded when A5 was restarted(these were not consistently repeatable) and problems with a fairly complex XDialog that crashes the program every time you click on either the OK or the CLOSE button. The odd thing about the XDialog is that the internal functions work fine but A5 crashes when the dialog tries to close.

Why I think it is system related:
    The computers are networked together and I have copied the application to both computers (i.e., the apps are identical) and run it using the full version and the runtime both locally on each computer and "both directions" on the network - always with the same result: No problems on the P3 but when I'm sitting at the slow computer, A5 crashes whenever I try to leave the XDialog.

And, no, rebooting the computer didn't help.

Real Name
    Paul French

Default RE: Minimum system specs?

Cal,

I'm running on a K6 300 MHz machine with 128 Megs with 4 Megs stolen by video and Win 98SE. So far, I haven't noticed anything unusual, but I've just started using v5 as I was finishing up a project in v4.5. I haven't played with Xdialog or pushed the system much yet to find the dark corners.

Have you checked the usual suspects like printer drivers, etc.?

Dave Whittle

Understanding that Intel is one of my consulting clients and therefore I'm probably biased, you might want to look at the non-Intel processor as a potential source of the problem. I've heard from several serious technogeeks that they simply have more unexplained and unidentifiable problems on their non-Intel systems than they do on their Intel systems. I've never had a non-Intel processor, myself, so I can't comment from personal experience...

Regards,
    Dave Whittle

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Russ Boehle

I run AMD on my desktop and Intel on my notebook and to be honest I have more crashes and unexplained problems on the notebook. Have never had a problen with an AMD processor and we use them quite extensively.

Russ

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

I was rather surprised today when I loaded an application for a new client and found out both computers were K6-450s. (I really had no idea what these computers were until I went there today.)

One of them worked just fine while the other has the same problem with crashing A5 when exiting the dialog box. So, obviously there is something else about the system other than just the K6-450 that is causing the problem.

The next time I go there, I will take a utility to get more of the system specs and compare them with mine to see if I can find something(s) that might be the culprit.

Real Name
    Robert Gowan

I'm with Russ on this one. I was cautious about going to AMD but finally made the move a little over a year ago. I've found the AMDs to be trouble-free - very stable, faster, and less expensive - any recent problems have been with Intel machines. Any replacements in the near future will be AMDs.

Jon Rupert

Believe it or not...my old trusty K6-233 (196Mb RAM) is what I development on nearly all of the time...why...STABLE! This is not specific though to AMD CPU, but to the other components also, (particlarly motherboard), thats being used. I have found issues regardless of CPU on different machines at client locations. Seemingly it always can be related to the "overall" integrity of the unit, hardware and software. Closing, I will admit that I do watch scroll bars on occassion!

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Russ Boehle

Thats an intersting thought. I also have found that the motherboard makes more of a difference than the processor. I have used some really inexpensive motherboards that have been rock solid and some expensive ones that were dogs. Live and learn.

Russ

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Peter Wayne

we have 10 networked computers in my office. 9 of them are running win98 with 64 Megs ram. 1 has winxp with 256 Megs ram. i haven't noticed any real difference in how the application runs. 2 of the computers can't properly network optimize--i don't know why. i copy an optimized shadow database from another computer to the 2 that can't optimize. other than that, i haven't noticed any difference in how the application runs, except for the obvious one that the faster machines run faster.

the server, incidentally, is one of the win98 computers.