Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

sizing forms on opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sizing forms on opening

Hi there,
    I have a script that almost works, but am missing something-or-other...

The script decreases the default form size, and works fairly well when I run it (other than positioning the top of the smaller form under the menu bar - need a fix for that, too).

When I create an action script for the form to run the script immediately upon viewing the form, it acts up. It either opens several instances of the form, crashes and hangs up, or gives me another error message.

I've tried using OnInit and OnActivate, unsuccessfully.

So, how do you make the form size smaller when it is opened?

Thank you,
    Wanda

RE: sizing forms on opening

Wanda,

Maybe I am missing something here, but if you want a form to be a certian size why not just design it that way?

You set the size in the form properties window tab.

Now if you are looking to vary the size conditionaly thats a different story, but very doable.

If I did miss something forgive me, otherwise, hope this helps.

Scott

Comment

Hi Scott,
      I forgot to mention that indicating form size in the properties does not work on my machine. I have no clue why. A few things don't work right on the computer I'm on...

Selwyn gave me a script that indicates size, and I've written it and it works just fine for one form, but not for another...

Thanks,
      Wanda

Comment

Wanda,

Im not sure why your having trouble sizing a form in the properties, but in any case.

Sounds like something is possibly overiding the sizing script. Not knowing what Selwyn sent I can't answer as to why it works for one form and not the others.

Do you use maximize or minimize?

Sorry I am not more help to you. Maybe some further info would help.

Scott

Comment

I could use Max and Min, but that is very limiting.

Here's the script that Selwyn provided:

'Date Created: 31-Oct-2002 04:32:49 PM
          'Last Updated: 04-Dec-2002 08:53:28 AM
          'Created By :
          'Updated By :
          p =form.view("Class Description")
          p.width = 500
          p.height = 200
          p.top = 20

Thanks, Scott. - Wanda

Comment

Wanda,

Are you changing the script for each form or leaving it like this? or do you change the form name?

Replace the form name in this line.

p =form.view("Class Description")

If you are already doing that and the script does seem to work with other forms chances are you have something set on those forms somehow.

Compare your working form to the ones that won't size. I would first look at the properties of the forms, then see if any scripts might be changing the size.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Comment

I think you need to find out why setting form size in properties doesn't work. If you are doing anything with a lot of forms you will have to spend a lot of extra time on form size without this ability. Are you sure you are setting it correctly in properties?
              If you manually size a form and go to properties, window, and then click on current size and position and save it does it hold this size and position?

Russ

Comment

G'morning Scott and Russ,

Thank you so much for helping me trouble shoot this issue.

I don't currently have the script attached to anything, and I've only tried it on one other form, which happens to be in a different database (ie. the form that DOES size properly)

To explain farther, on the form that it works on, I never attached it to anything. When I run it, it works. I was merely testing how to size my forms.

Then, when I really wanted to use the script on a different form, it does not want to work right, either by simply running it, or by attaching it to the form properties.

The ONLY thing I changed in the script is the form name.

I also want to verify that clicking on the "current size and position" does NOT work.

I posted the problem a month or so ago, and no one could figure it out.

So - there's your challenge for the day - ha!

Thank you again!

Wanda

Comment

How about
                  Action scripting
                  on activate for the form
                  Window commands
                  position window

do these controls work?

Russ

Ps regardless of whether these work or not you need to get the current size and pos to work. Perhaps if you sent a copy of your work to Alpha they could take a peek at it.

Russ

Comment

Thanks, Russ...I hadn't found the windows sizing in action scripting...I'll work with that, and let you know.

Yes, I have sent one problem to Alpha which worked fine for them, but still doesn't work for me. That problem was/is the size of the windows in field rules. Instructional text is cut off. I'll attach a screen shot of this.

Thanks, again...W

Comment

Hey Russ - it worked! If I deselect Sizeable, Minimum and Maximum in the Window Style properties, the form size is correct.

Thank you!

Any thoughts on the screenshot I sent to you?

W

Comment

Sorry, I haven't opened the screen shot. I'm traveling (stuck iin the snow is more like it) and am limited to a 28 K connection so I'm not downloading anything I don't have to.

Will check it Sat when I get home.

Russ

Comment

Okie dokie. Stay warm! I'll check back when I come in on Monday.

Comment

I forgot to mention that indicating form size in the properties does not work on my machine. I have no clue why. A few things don't work right on the computer I'm on...

Doesn't work for me either. I set 50% wide and 100% height and there is no effect. Form current size and Postion works for me but the other doesn't.
                            Several computers were tried, no help.
                            Jim Belanger

Comment

What made it work properly, for me, was to deselect SIZEABLE, MINIMUM, and MAXIMUM boxes. Maybe that'll work for you, too.

I'm wondering if you have another problem that I have. Take a peek at the attached Word doc screenshot. Look at the text instructional messages. See how they're cut off? Also, the size of the field rules windows are about only 75% of the width they are supposed to be. Does yours do this?

Comment

Working...
                              X