Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Filtered lookup problem . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filtered lookup problem . . .

I am using 1021 (latest I think)...

My problem is this:
    On a filtered lookup, it displays both the first lookup and the subsequent filtered lookup just fine. Works like a dream... but in the drop down list of the filtered lookup, when I select a value other than the first (top of list) value it wont use it. Just keeps putting the first value (top of lookup) in instead.
    So if in the first lookup I select "Monetary", my choices displayed in the filtered lookup should be (and they are) "Cash", "Check" or "Credit Card". Cash is at the top of the list. There is no default value for the field. Choose any value you like but "Cash" is the only value that gets put in the field.

What am I doing wrong here?

RE: Filtered lookup problem . . .

Jeff,

Code:
    "... On a filtered lookup, it displays both the first lookup and the subsequent filtered lookup just fine ... "

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this.

Just reviewed the entire section of the User's Guide describing Lookups in field rules of a table. (beginning at p. 118) Cannot find anything that matches what you describe. Sorry to be dense, but are you perhaps talking about a cascading list, instead of filtered TABLE lookup ?

Any chance you can post the database here so we can see what's going on ?

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom... I may not be calling it the proper name.. but its as close to what it does as I can relate.
      The app is approaching 5 megs.. zipped.. a little cumbersome for this forum to handle as an upload.

I will try to explain it a bit better....

I have 2 fields with lookups, a "Type" field that has a lookup list with 3 choices, Monetary, Goods and Services.
      No problem there.. it's a static list.
      My second field, "Subtypes" is a table lookup. This table has 2 fields, Type and Subtype. The user can enter as many Subtypes as he/she wishes, with each records' Type matching one of Monetary, Goods or Services Type. This table is indexed on Type.
      Your selection from the first field's list, Monetary, Goods or Services, matches the type field in the seconds field lookup. The filter is applied to the lookup table's field rules and is DonorSubtype->Type = Type. This allows the second field's lookup to display records matching the type selected in the first fields list. Works great.. I only see the subtypes for Goods if that was the selection.
      Problem is.. no matter what I select in the subtype.. it only places the first selection in the list into the field.

Since I originally posted this I played around with the field rules and found that unchecking the "Display as drop-down list" option allows the selected value to be placed into the field. So selecting the second, third..etc value does then get into the field. So it works but then you have to use the huge dialog box thats built-in to A5.
      Otherwise, with the option checked, it will allow you to select any value you wish, but only the first (top) value in the list gets placed into the field.

Sorry to be so verbose but I hope I explained the situation clearly enough. I do not want to use the huge built-in dialog. I want the little drop-down to work properly.

I figure it's something really simple and I have just been working too hard on it... :)

Comment

Jeff,

Pls don't apologize for the length of your post. The details are essential. Will build a model and investigate further. -- tom

Comment

Jeff, I built a simple model to see if I could replicate the problem, and YES I see it. However, in my case the filtered table lookup misbehaves whether the display uses the big dialog box, or the drop down list. Strange?

-- tom

Comment

I tried yours and I changed a few things to more accurately reflect the setup of mine.. its attached.

The biggest difference between yours and mine is that mine shows only the subtypes based on the type chosen. Yours shows all for some reason. Now when you select the "Display as drop down list" in field rules it behqaves as mine does.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Jeff,

I somewhat remember that same issue with someone else some time ago. The drop down list just wasn't working as it should.

Not much help, I know but I think it's an issue for Alpha to resolve.

kenn
              TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Jeff,

Interesting. I downloaded the file I previously posted, and tested it again. On my Win98 system the Subtype lookup is filtered to only show subtypes that match the value in the type field. Testing was done using my custom form, only. Did you try something else, if so, what?

i.e.

Open the form
                select subtype field with mouse
                click the dropdown arrow

the displayed list of choices matches the 'type' just fine.

-- tom

Comment

I uploaded your app that I changed to match mine a bit more. I wish I could show you my app but since I cant I changed yours to match mine. Mostly. You had an event setting a variable to define the filter.. I used field rules to apply a filter...

Your subtype drop down does show the correct subtypes.. but it also, at the same time, allows you to scroll past, up or down, the "filtered" subtypes. So it really shows the entire table if you scroll. Mine shows only the "filtered" subtypes. Hope I am making this clear. If you look at the tests.exe I uploaded you can see where I made the change in the field rules.. but for some reason it still shows the entire table of subtypes. Dunno why my database doesnt show the entire table and yours does tho.

And I was using your form to test my changes. And I am running WinXP Pro if it matters.

Whats necessary to get A5 to fix this bug? I really, really want to use the drop-down and not the huge dialog.

Comment

Addendum:
                    Unchecking the "Display as Drop down list" allowed the proper selection of data in a new record but it still will not accept the selected choice in an edit (change) mode.

Arrrrrgh!

Comment

Jeff,

Remembering other threads about this topic, that is the secret, Unchecking the "Display as Drop down list" is the only way to allow for the proper selection of data in a new record. I'm not sure if that's the way it was intended to work, I wouldn't think so. Perhaps Alpha can shed some light on this?

kenn
                      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Having same problem.

Attaching a zip file with two tables and one set.

Testing can be performed using the default form for the people.dbf table.

With the field edit rules set for filtered table lookup with a drop-down list; all kinds of wierdness happens.

When the display as drop-down list box is unchecked, everything works as expected (but uses the big table lookup dialog--which is undesired for the current application).

I hope we find a solution.

Hasan

Comment

Hello Hasan,

There were several anomalies in your example.
                          -I had to drop each of your tables and re add them to your database. Is it possible that in your source machine the tables are in different folders? If so, you may want to rethink this.
                          -I could not experiment with creating new records in people.dbf because the filter in the keyword lookup requires the contract type table.
                          -Most fundamentally, I think your method of populating the keywords field is interfering with the lookup. I think you would be better off using the on_save field rule event (for the whole record) rather than the on_wrote event for the keyword field. Better still, why use a field in the people table for the transient keyword data when you can use a variable?

I assume you are populating the keywords field in order to facilitate some sort of search. If you describe the kind of search perhaps we can help you arrive at the best method.

I am confident that your objectives can be realized within Alpha Five.

Bill
                          Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Still waiting on a reply from Alpha on this matter... bump

Comment

Bill,

I'm looking into your latest suggestions (and prior ones) to improve this app, and planned to zip another version to show the results.

In the meantime I'll offer a couple of comments.

--really like sets; loath (but open) to not using them (in the 'right' situations)
                              Alpha offers an ease and speed in developing prototypes I haven't experienced in any other product. A master/detail form can be developed in a couple of clicks complete with complex link relationships honoring data referential integrity.

--storing the keyword field in the table versus a variable
                              1) done for the lookup, which could be tested from...
                              2) easy to test using the default form for the table

--basically, the quicker a working solution can be presented to the user, the quicker they will discover/define the real requirements

--so basically, I have a bias toward the quick-and-dirty solution. Why? Because I've found there's never enough money to do the intital job right, but if you get the job, there's always enough money to rework it (and rework it, and rework it, and ...)

Hasan

Comment

Working...
                              X