Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

"Unhandled Exception."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Unhandled Exception."

The complete error message is: Unhandled Exception. Alpha5 will do a forced termination. Then a box for OK. Click OK and the program closes down.

Have defragged, scrubbed, compacted, and rebuilt indexes--repeatedly. There is no pattern. Happens sometimes after only a couple of entries, sometimes not for 20-30 entries. Happens in different fields, different tables.

Please Help! Thanks. /jeri

RE:

Jeri -

Been there did that! Numerous times also. No seemingly apparent pattern also. I don't have an answer, but I have seen many threads concerning same, but no answers. Hopefully someone will come up with something. I think that in my case it may have to do with resources bottoming out, but I can't verify it.

Good Luck !

Comment

RE: Unhandled Exception

Thanks! Now I know it's not just me. Also thought about resources--reason for defrag and scrub--but that doesn't seem to be it. Anyone else? Please?

Comment

RE: unhandled exception

Jeri,

In order to identify the problem and suggest solutions, or to report a repeatable 'bug' to Alpha Software we need more information from you.

Here are some things to try:

1) Does the Alpha Sports application work ok on your machine? If not that suggests you should investigate your installation of Alpha Five, or perhaps, there's with your operating system or hardware. If it does work then that suggests the problem is in how you're implementing your database. (It might be your mistake, or it might be you've stumbled on a bug, so your investigation should continue.)

2) If your database will not open, copy your tables to a new folder, and create a new database there. Then add the tables (just copied) to the database and open each one with the default form and the default browse. This is good evidence that your tables, and the data stored within them, is not your problem.

3) If your database opens, but you're having trouble with a particular form, try opening the table or set upon which the form is based with the default form. If it works ok using the default form, that's a good indicator your custom form is the source of the problem. (still don't know if it's yours or theirs, but we're narrowing things down, ok?). If the default form misbehaves that's a good sign the problem lies in the way you designed field rules for the table or set.

Tell us more about what you find. Even better, post a working model of your database here so we can see it.

-- tom

Comment

In v5 I noticed that the �Unhanded Exception. Alpha5 will do a forced termination� will fire if alpha finds any discrepancy on a layout could be in an error on a RTF field or a incorrect field rule, script etc. in my experience alpha was usually right . try debugging each and every step on the form with different entry�s or canceling an entry, closing the form at different entry stages and so on, you�ll probably come with something wrong on the form, table, or set

Daniel Weiss
          Daniel Weiss
          EZ Link Software

Comment

That has been my observation as well.

IN A5V4 I used an Ask Variable in a label which worked great but does not work in A5V5. This caused the exception error. When I remove the Ask variable everything works fine. Selwyn advised that the Ask variable doesn't work with labels in A5v5 but will be corrected in a later patch.

Robert

Comment

RE:

What OS are you using and what are your computer specs (processor, speed, and RAM at least). Also, does this happen only while developing or also when running the application?

I consider these forced terminations a significant annoyance during development but I would like to know if people are also getting forced terminations while using an application because I would consider that completely unacceptable if it happens more than once or twice a week. If anyone is getting forced terminations while using an app, I would like to know if it is limited to specific operating systems or processors/speeds.

I have been told that the forced terminations will be fewer if I switch from Win98SE to XP. This would be acceptable from a development standpoint but many of my customers are still using Win98 and there is no way I will convince them to upgrade all their computers just because of A5.

I have a Win98SE system and a P3-900 with 256 RAM and have numerous forced terminations when developing (10-15 a day and often sporadic, as you mentioned, but also linked to specific things like running 'finds' within an XBasic script) but, so far, I have not experienced any problems while running the apps. On the other hand, I don't run my apps very much myself because most of them are built for someone else. At this time, the only v5 application I have ready for installation at a customer location was just finished last night so it won't be installed until next week.

Comment

Tom, Cal, others, thanks much for responses. Now have no doubt problem is with forms, but still don't know why.

Tom. Alpha Sports seems to work fine. All databases open. All default forms and browses work. Each custom form and browse works indivudually without apparent problem. Don't know how to post working model of db.

Cal. Using Win98SE. AMD Duron, 224 RAM. Not a developer, only simple clicks and keystrokes, no xbasic or scripting--started w/A2(?) but still 1st grade level.

Use: Record keeping for organization. Two large (to me) db (membership and nomenclature), several small ones. Single user. Problem only in nomenclature, 8416 records.

1. Appended tables, Current Seeds and New Seeds, to set. Purpose to have one place to research rather than three. Set now: Basic Nomen
                |---Nomen Descrips
                |---Current Seeds
                |===New Seeds

2. Not all data transferred, as expected, because of different types of info and fields. Have to manually add data from both Seeds tables, delete duplicates, clean up in general. Could not use Global because of diffences. Basic Nomen form had 3 tabs, added 4th for Seeds info.

3. Usual Steps. *Open custom form, New Seeds. *Open custom browse, Fix Seeds. *Select record to fix. *F8 to Fix form view. *Click tabs 2 and 3 to review, click tab 4. *Click New Seeds form, highlight and Alt C date. *Click Fix form, Alt V date, type location. *F9, then 1st tab. *Click New Seeds form, highlight and Alt C different date. *Click Fix form, Alt V, F9. *F8 back to browse view. If this results in duplicate record, then delete. Start over with next one to be modified.

At some point, Unhandled Exception came at every step and in every view--with Alt C and Alt V, while typing location, in the middle of deleting a record. Sometimes it appeared 2-3-4 times while in the same record. Other times, could fix 20-30 records with no problem. Nothing consistent that I can see.

Routinely compact db and rebuild indexes. Have defragged. Clipboard never more than one item. Nothing in any Trace Window. Have never used debugger, but when I tried, everything froze--all four times...

Have 900+ records to go so still need help if possible. Sorry this is so long. Many thanks. /jeri

Comment

You mention using Alt-C and Alt-V. Did you mean Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V? (Cut and Paste?)

If not, try using the control keys instead.

If so.... This is a long-shot but try using only your mouse instead of using Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V. I think you may need to right click on the field to get the drop-down menu then select 'cut' or 'paste' as appropriate; i.e., cut-and-paste becomes right-click, left-click, right-click, left-click. I'm beginning to suspect that A5 is designed such that it works better with mouse input than keyboard input but it's only a suspicion as this point.

Comment

Thanks, Cal. Yes, me-dummy did mean _Ctrl_ C and V! Will try the clicking version of copy and paste. /jeri

Comment

Forced terminations and field rules

I know that it has been mentioned in the responses, but I want to emphasize that incorrect settings in the field rules can cause this problem. I had a lookup to a table and had changed a field name in the lookup table (after the field rule was created). Everytime I attempted to access the lookup, I would be thrown out of Alpha Five. When I thoroughly cleaned up the field rules, I have not noticed another forced termination.

Ron Wills
                      Small Business Technology, Inc.
                      [email protected]

Comment

RE: Forced terminations and field rules

Thanks, Ron. Have _again_ checked Field Rules in all the tables--the ones I was using, twice. All looks OK. Only two lookups, and they are OK, haven't been renamed, etc. /jeri

Comment

Again, thanks to everyone who is taking trying to help.

Have checked Field Rules and Looup Tables and lists--all seem OK. Tried using mouse instead of keystrokes to copy and paste.

No luck so far--it went ppfftt when I clicked on Paste....
                          Also got error message on F8.

Have just worked on parts of three tables using only one table at a time--meaning went back to Control Panel to get each table. No problem.

Then resumed my copy and paste and F8 routine, and it started again. While doing this, I have two tables showing (open) and buttons for them at the bottom of the screen. Those are the ones I alternate between. Occasionally open a third, but close it ASAP. One table usually stays in Form view. The other is F8'd between Form and Browse.

Is it possible that although this is supposed to be OK, it really isn't? Am I expecting too much?

Comment

It's not ok and you are certainly not expecting too much.

Meanwhile, I must report that I personally never have the problem running applications and only very seldom experience it during development when it is almost certainly my fault. I have no idea why some are plagued by this and others are spared.

Bill
                            Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Post your app, so others may troubleshoot it.
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                              X