Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Wish list -multi-page image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish list -multi-page image

I would like to get some idea whether there is any support among users for including the above field type in some future release of A5. Multi-page images are very handy where you want to have a database of scanned office document files for record purposes - handwritten letters , order forms, faxes etc.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

regards

Falan

RE: Wish list -multi-page image

Please explain what you mean by 'Multi-page images'

Thanks,

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Farlan,

I don't know if it can currently be done or not. If my memory serves me correctly, there was a thread on scanning documents directly into Alpha5.

I believe the general consensus was that it could not be done at this time. I don't remember if there was any indication of Alpha adding the feature in the ffuture.

That being said...I have a need (hope) for the same feature. Scanning a multi-page document into a single file would be a very cool (and valuable)feature.

I have gone through the process of scanning each page of a multi-page document into individual files and it is a Royal PITA!

Keeping in mind that Alpha Software needs to apply their development efforts in areas of greatest need, let's hope that we will eventually see this capability.

Best Regards,

Louis

Comment

If you have a need for scanning multiple images into multiple pages, why not use Acrobat? Acrobat gives this capability and there are many threads on how to open Acrobat from within Alpha. All you would need to do is save the name of the file in Alpha.

Jerry

Comment

There is no such thing as a multi-page image as far as I know. Images are just a block of pixels with no type of paging mechanism. Fax and OCR software often makes an image appear as multiple pages by either just scrolling up and down, or by using one image per page and showing them sequentially.

I think a good solution would be to use one image per page. Then you can put a tabbed object on your form with each tab having a page. Would this work for what you are trying to do?

-Lenny

Lenny Forziati
          Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
          Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Thank you for all your comments.

I would like to reply as follows.
            Multi-page files are files of documents that have been scanned - a crude example would be a multi-page fax document. There are also other types of image file frmats that do support multiple pages e.g tiff format image files are commonly used for this purpose.

On using PDF files. The problem with this approach is that these would be separate files which would be linked. This means there would be lots of problems in backing up the database becase you have a whole bunch of non-database files to back up as well, and this becomes even worse if you have to move directories around or move the database to another machine etc. The other consideration is that of security if the image files are separate files they would each have to be passowrd protected to ensure access privileges control.

Lenny's idea of using multi-tabbed pages to display a series of images could be interesting but would be quite a nightmare if the multi-page images had variable numbers of pages.

By the way, native support of these type of image files is part of the RAD WinDev database development environment, so you just have to specify them as being that field type and away you go.

best

Farlan

Comment

There are multi page Bitmap files using the TIF format. If you have Microsoft Office and have installed the document scanning software, double click on a TIF file and you will see a really nice implementation of a multi-page TIF file reader.

I have created a Patient Charts database where a patients entire records are scanned within a single TIF file. When you click on the record, it opens the TIF file and you can page down to view one or more pages. I ended up using MICROSOFT ACCESS to develop the program because of the reader included. In the Microsoft Office XP version they are now including an updated viewer that shows a thumbnail view in the left column similar to what you would see opening up PDF file in Acrobat Reader ver 5.

I have hated every moment working with MICROSOFT ACCESS and would hope that Alpha developers might entertain including a internal reader of multi-page TIF files. I have downloaded a shareware program called IrfanView from PC Mag site that's OK, but not great. It does read multipage TIF files. The interface is not as slick as the Microsoft version.

Ron Wills
              Small Business Technology, Inc.
              Reply to: [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for your comments. Very useful. Iguess we can only hope that this field type will soon be included in A5v5

Comment

Working...
                X