Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Unable to create Sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to create Sets

When I try to create a new set at the Control Panel using "New" and selecting the Primary Table, I get a dialog box saying "! Expected Value" and it will not go to the Set Editor.

I have reinstalled Version 5 (suspecting a corruption of some kind), the most recent patches, and run A5V5.exe. Then I compacted the database and packed the table. No matter what table I select, cannot get to Set Editor. Just get the "Expected Value" message.

Any ideas?

RE: Unable to create Sets

Maybe something is wrong with the table you have selected. Try creating a set with another table as the parent. If that works, then check the indexes in the table that failed. Maybe one of the indexes has a bad expression.

Comment

Do you have any data in the table? If not, enter one record and then try to create the set.

kenn
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I tried this initially and it did not change anything, but thanks for the suggestion.
        Pam Hamilton

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Bill, but I am unable to create a set for any table, existing or new. Empty, or filled with data.

I have noticed that my database is now "read only" due to sharing files with coworkers, as we work in different locations. When I download to my CDRW drive (which is the only option the email offers me), then copy to my harddrive, I am able to edit forms, tables, etc. But the database itself is marked "read only" and I cannot change this. When I select "properties" to uncheck this status, it will not uncheck. I am wondering if this would block the set creation aspect but not the editing of layouts and tables.

Pam Hamilton

Comment

Pamela,

Yes, if the files are marked read only, this could be the issue.

Generally, when Windows copies files to a CD-ROM it automatically marks them Read Only.

Unfortunately, they remain Read Only when copied to a new location back on your hard disk.

Maybe someone in your shop can show you a faster way to re-set the files to read write status. This is done by manipulating the read write attribute of each file.

You can do this via Windows Explorer, too. Select the file, right click, check it's properties, and change from read only to read write, by removing the checkmark that's in the read only box.

-- tom

Comment

When you say you cannot uncheck the read-only box do you mean the file on the CD or on the hard drive? You won't be allowed on the CD but should be able to on the hard drive. Furthermore, if you select all the files in a folder you should be able to reset the readonly attribute for all of them in a single operation.

Bill
              Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Yes, I have been able to do this for individual files...layouts, tables, etc., and can edit these. However, the DATABASE itself remains "read only" and yet another co-workerer's database is NOT so marked. So I'm wondering if this prevents certain functions, such as creation of sets. The database WILL NOT allow the "read only" to be changed. And I tried re-installing, but same thing happened.
                Thanks for the response.
                Pam

Comment

Just to be sure we are on the same page, exactly which file to you refer to when you say "database", "layouts", etc.?

Bill
                  Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Layouts to me are forms, reports, browses, letters, labels. I can also edit tables. Thanks.

Comment

Reread my question. In in A5 layouts are not individual files. So you seem to be saying that you can in control panel edit a layout but not the database. I confess I do not know what you mean by database. What exactly do you mean by edit the database?

Are all your tables and the database files themselves (databasename.alb,.alm, .alx) in a single folder. If not this may be the problem but confirm this.

Finally, what version and build of Alpha5 are you using. Are your coworkers all using the same version and build?

Bill
                      Bill Hanigsberg

Comment

Sorry if I am confusing you, and perhaps not thinking of the various parts of A5 databases correctly. It is how I think of them, I guess.

When I said "edit the database" I was referring to a task such as creating a set which is using more than one table. When I say "file" I am thinking of each named layout in the Control Panel - or table for that matter. I do realize they each draw on multiple parts of the entire database, but I access each individually to work with it, and therefore think of it as a "file". My error. As I am new to working with databases, and have previously only worked with spreadsheet and word processing software, it is my habit of mentally organizing what I am working with.

All I know is my coworker is working with same version/patches I am: Version 5. His database, when he selects it in "My Computer" does not say "read Only" in properties. Mine does. He can create sets, I get that "Expected Value" message.

He does not have a CDRW drive, but a zip drive while I do have a CDRW and not a zip drive. We have had problems before when I copy data to take to him in it being "read only", but we have always been able to change it.

I have been operating under the mistaken impression that the "write" in CDRW meant files would be writable when copied from this drive. Now I understand it only means the disk is reusable...rewriteable, and has nothing to do with the files. But OCCASIONALLY, I cannot even erase the files from a CDRW disk and I can't figure out why sometimes I can and sometimes I can't. So I suspect it has something to do with my drive.

But it appears that no one else using A5 is getting this "Expected Value" message in regards to creating sets.

Thanks for your time. It is appreciated!
                        Pam Hamilton

Comment

Pamela,

Let's start over, and take it one step at a time.

Here's how to create a set:

1) open Alpha Five Version 5
                          2) open your database, if a form is loaded on startup, close the form
                          3) the control panel should now be displayed
                          4) select the Tables / Sets tab
                          5) right click in the 'white' open space, without selecting any particular icon
                          6) choose "New Set"
                          7) choose the table to serve as the parent or primary table for the set
                          8) add links to child tables
                          9) save using a unique name for the set

If you try this sequence and fail, describe where it breaks down and furnish as much detail as you can muster explaining what happened.

-- tom

Comment

Pamela,

Most of us use CD-ROM and CDRW drives only for backup.

Because of the relative slow performance of these devices most of us would avoid using the CD platter as the location for our active databases. If this is what you're trying, you may find the headache goes away when you stop pounding your head against that CD platter !

-- tom

Comment

It will not go past step 7. It lets me select the primary table (and doesn't matter which table I select...one of the new ones I am trying to link, or previously long-time existing tables). When I click "OK", I get the dialog box stating "! Expected Value".

No set is created.

Comment

Working...
                              X