Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multiple Problems Causing Major Headaches - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Problems Causing Major Headaches - Help!

I've attached a file that is a derivative of the Alpha Sports app that contains a subset of the tables and files - the ones that I'm having a problem with. Here's a list of the problems:

1) When the Main Menu form opens for the first time, the title text and first button text is oversized. This goes away the 2nd and subsequent times you open it, but returns every time you exit Alpha 5 and start it again. I've tried changing the font, the style, and anything else I could think of, to no avail.

2) When I run the ShipListExport operation, it's imbedded query finds the right 3 records from customersales.set for the 3 items that need to be shipped to the one customer, but then exports nothing from the customer table (should export name and shipping address).

3) In attempting to create an Action Scripting operation based on the customersales.set (with customer as parent, invoice_header as child, and invoice_items as invoice_header's child) to export only those customers who need to have something shipped (Invoice_header->Allpaid=.t. .and. Invoice_items->Ship=.t. except I left out the .t.s), if I select by expression, then the only table I can choose fields from is Customer, if I drill down through the expression builder.

4) When I try to create an Action Script to Run the ShipListExport operation and designate the query as part of the script, I encounter what seems at best confusing results in trying to build the query using the various means offered - specifically the Genie and the Expression Builder. Sometimes multiple tables are offered (which is good) - sometimes only customer is offered. In any case, the query doesn't yield the desired results.

5) On the full data file, when I browse the set, the last record (the same customer who needs the shipment), has five records, not three. I can delete the first of the five records while in the set, but not the last. I've tried packing, re-indexing, and everything else I can think of, but I just can't get rid of that superfluous record, which has no Invoice_ID, and doesn't show up as a blank record in any of the three tables.

Any suggestions anyone can offer on any of the 5 problems would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,
    Dave Whittle

RE: Multiple Problems Causing Major Headaches - He

Dave,

Your main menu opens fine on my computer; win98SE.

I ran a query on the customersales.set using the conditions in your export operation. I could find no records which satisfied the query.

Ran out of time. Hope this helps.

Comment

Dave,

Found one ADB file in your upload. 'Contact Manager'. Double clicked on it and the database loaded. Opening screen is the Auction Sales System menu.

I'm using Win98SE and Build 1342 of Alpha Five Vers 5.

The title text and button text seemed well proportioned. No problem here.

Sounds like a video display issue on your machine. Try reducing demand on Windows resources, and possibly even reducing the amount of hardware acceleration on your video display adapter.

By the way, I've found this board seems to work better if each thread deals with a single question or issue. The post, reply, reply to reply, reply to reply to reply format makes it difficult if there are several 'mini-threads' within a single topic. We'll see how your's turns out... may not be problematic since 4 of the 5 questions seem to revolve around a cross-level query that's not working.

-- tom

Comment

Dave,

Your main menu opens fine on my computer which is running WinME. Your problems 2 -4 are all working with the same issue. There are no records that meet your query criteria. The way to check this is to open the default browse for the set and select record number index. Scroll to the Allpaid column. All records show T. If you continue to scroll, the ship field shows F for all records. Therefore, there are no records to fit the query. If you change any record to Ship = .T., then the query works. The problem is in your data.

While checking the data, I did find another problem. In the field rules for invoice_items, you have a posting rule for quantity which is incomplete. This prevents changing the ship field to T

Jerry

Comment

Dave,

I cannot explain why the cross-level query is not working.

Here's an example of a workaround that may be of use.

1) I deleted the incomplete post field rule Jerry mentioned.

2) I defined a new set, inverting your original arrangement (InvoicesToCustomers)

3) I defined a new export operation (Export2) which seems to do what you want.

I'd like to know more about cross-level queries. Will they work when search terms are pulled from both a child table and a grandchild table?

-- tom

Comment

Oops. Here's my revised copy of your model.

Comment

Thanks for looking at it.

I believe I've narrowed down the display problem to my use of Adobe Type 1 fonts (Trajan and Optima - my company's combination) in the menu. When I change the fonts to True Type, they work OK - which means that I believe Alpha 5 has a font-handling problem, since other applications using those fonts don't have a problem.

On the query, the fact is that three records satisfy the filter condition - the last three records in invoice_items (look at the "Ship" field, which is .T. only for those last three records) which is linked to the last record in invoice_header (All records are .T. for the "allpaid" field) and the last record in customer.

So since the query returns no records, something's wrong.

Comment

Thanks, Tom, for your suggestions. Points taken - it was 2am after an aggravating day when I posted, so I was in no mood to flood the forum with five different posts. :-)

I reduced hardware acceleration on the video and it made no difference - I'm pretty sure it's an Adobe Type 1 font handling issue with Alpha 5.

Thanks again,
                Dave

Comment

Hmmm... in the data I uploaded, the last 3 records in invoice_items show "Ship=.T." , so there should be three records in the set that satisfy the filter criteria (invoice_header->allpaid=.t. .and. invoice_items->ship=.t.).

So I beg to differ on it being a data problem, although in the interest of keeping things as simple as possible I neglected to upload the product table, which is part of the app I'm developing but doesn't seem to be part of this problem. That's simply a problem with my selective uploading... Should I add that table and upload everything again?

Comment

Dave,

On my Win98 box objects on the Main Menu form are using the TrueType Abadi MT Condensed Light font. The Menu title static text boxes are showing 12 pt size, and the buttons are using 11.

In most of my own work I use Arial, even though it's boring, it's widely available. What fonts are you using in your design?

-- tom

Comment

Dave, well now I'm really confused.

Went back to examine your Main Menu form in design mode again. Alpha Five reports the Abadi font mentioned previously, but I think maybe that's happening only because it happens to be the first item in my fonts listbox display. If I actually select Abadi, then the display changes dramatically. So, it looks as though I misread the font type reported in my earlier post. On further testing it looks like my system is now using Arial instead. Is that, by chance, what you intended?

-- tom

Comment

Dave,

The last three invoice items do show ship = .T.. These are connected to invoice 5135, which is for customer 5035. When I open the default browse for the set, there are no invoices shown for the last 12 customers. Your indexes are corrupted.

Update the indexes for Invoice_header and invoice_items. Now all of the invoices are linked to the customers and the query and export will run.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,

after updating the indexes, the export still fails. The query finds the desired 3 records, but does not export the desired fields to the target text file.

Have you succeeded in creating the export text file?

-- tom

Comment

Hmmm...I just looked at the sample database I uploaded and there's nothing wrong with the links. Customer #5063 is listed for Invoice #5135, which is properly referenced in the last three records of invoice_items which show ship=.t. and should thus satisfy the criteria.

In my real data, the first thing I tried was to pack, re-index, and double-check the data and its linking fields. Bad data doesn't seem to be the problem here. I verified the links during the process of importing the data, at least on the real data. I wish I could upload the whole thing, but it's got 5000+ real user group members and eBay buyers in it that I'm sure wouldn't be happy about me sharing their information. :-)

Comment

On mine, the "Webworking Services" uses Trajan, a genuine (expensive) Type 1 Adobe font. The buttons use Optima, also an Adobe Type 1 font. When I change those font choices to True Type, the problem seems to go away.

Apparently, when the font used isn't found on the system, Alpha 5 substitutes the first font on the users list. I have no problem with that - it's almost as reasonable as defaulting to Arial.

However, Alpha 5 doesn't seem to handle the Type 1 fonts. Do you have any Adobe Type 1 fonts you can use to try?

Comment

Working...
                              X