Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Best was to migrate tables from v4.5 to v5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best was to migrate tables from v4.5 to v5?

I have a bunch of tables, some sets and databases that work great with A5 v4.5. I now have A5v5 on my computer, but I must have missed any instructions as to what is the best way to migrate my tables and databases into v5 (i.e. perhaps to keep a 4.5 version separate, just in case v5 requires any modifications to my fields, scripts, etc.)

Should I zip up each table (each table is in its own folder), and then unzip them one-by-one in a new folder for each table, e.g. under Program Files/A5v5/Data?

Since I installed v5, it seems to have taken over all my desktop icons for my v4.5 shortcuts (they now show the new A5v5 icon) and these shortcuts now open the tables in V5 (yet the files are still in their original v4.5 folders).

Thank you,
    Lynn

P.S. I'm really impressed with 123 pages of What's New in V5. Very cool.

RE: Best was to migrate tables from v4.5 to v5?

Lynn,

Copy each database to separate folders. ID them with v5 so you can tell them from v4.

Then open v5 and open your databases as you would in were v4. It's that easy. Once you've made a change in database design, ya can't go back to v4 so that's why you work with a copy.

kenn
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Thanks Ken.

Your suggestion is working great. I'm now working with the copies in v5 and cleaning up a few issues (like a few fields bleeding through on a tabbed sub-form.) I put a bit of text ("v5") on the main form in each of three tables I've migrated to v5 folders; just to make sure whether I'm working in the 4.5 or v5 folders.

Thanks again for both your advice and how fast you posted the solution!

Lynn

Comment

Lynn,

If the bleed through is occuring on a tabbed object in v5, it's usually because there is an object ( A field, subform or browse)on a page of the tabbed object (still with me?) that is too close to the edge of the page. That was the situation in my case. Once I brought the browse back in a bit, the bleed through stopped.

kenn
        TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Thanks Ken,

I remembered something about bleed through on tabbed subforms, so I used the search feature on this message board and found your post and the solution that Selwyn posted.

I only had a handful of fields that were bleeding through just from the 4th tab (on a 6 tab sub-form) onto the 1st tab. There was no obvious pattern to which fields were bleeding through. I simply highlighted one field at a time on tab 1 (that belonged on tab 4), pressed Control-X , brought the focus to tab 4, pressed Control-C, and then used the mouse to drag the field down from it's "pasted" location in the upper left corner of the screen to the desired location. I repeated this process about a half dozen times -- and all it well!

Just to put this into perspective; there is about 8 to 15 fields or buttons on each "page" or tab of the tabbed sub-form. So I'm quite happy I only had to clean up about a half dozen fields that were scattered about the page and bleeding though.

Thanks again for your post.

Lynn

Comment

Working...
          X